Canadair Sabre Mk5s

James Craik

They're interesting. I see that BB-250 has the fences on the wings.You can also just make out the detachable fillet where the ammo feeds are.  Are the others also wing fenced Sabres? I believe that the initial batch to West Germany(at the time) were so fitted. In the lower pic, the 3rd one from left (which is BB-246 I suspect) also has the wing fences.

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

They're interesting. I see that BB-250 has the fences on the wings.You can also just make out the detachable fillet where the ammo feeds are.  Are the others also wing fenced Sabres? I believe that the initial batch to West Germany(at the time) were so fitted. In the lower pic, the 3rd one from left (which is BB-246 I suspect) also has the wing fences.

On the Canadair sabres starting on 1958 the filet was not detachable but part of the ammo door.

Edited by James Craik
Correction

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

32 minutes ago, James Craik said:

On the Canadair sabres starting in 1958 t he filet was not detachable but part of the ammo door.

Photo of Canadair sabre ammo door.YN8PYZO.jpg

Edited by James Craik
Correction
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to know if they were repainted in Luftwaffe colours.

If I remember correctly when they were pulled from storage at Prestwick some flew to Renfrew after being checked for flight status and the rest were checked over at Prestwick.

I don't remember any being  in the paint shop, they look pretty good to say they had been cocooned for a while,some 120  MK5s were in storage at one time.

Like UK taxpayers the Canadians didn't get value from their aircraft in  those days most of the rest were disposed of around 1960.

SAL had a great contract with RCAF maintain them, store them and then scrap and dispose of the remains.

Interestingly I saw a lot of these again in the scrap yards at Lasham and Ascot.

Edited by camper1
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The fillet seems to be parked on the wing, at least with 250 and 261.

Yep- On USAF Sabres, the detachable fillet on the F-86F-30's could be seen hanging from a chain/cord or placed on top of the wing like the ones in  the photo. Having it attached to the ammo bin door makes a lot more sense to me.

Mike

• Like 1