1/48 Brewster B339 Buffalo

This is my 1/48 Brewster B339 Buffalo which I started as a practise model. I had two periods working on it over two years. The only real

challenge with this one was the cutting of the canopy. I know the Green camouflage is the wrong colour, but it was too late

to change it and I had other things to learn. Still it looks good in my cabinet. so I'm happy.  

Buffalo2Buffalo1

Buffalo 3

• Like 29

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Looks good to me. Is it an RNZAF squadron?

Regards,

David

No this is the RAF one. 67sq Burma. I wasn't keen on the dragon and wanted something a bit more everyday, so I chose this one. However, most of my Pacific theater planes will be NZRAF because My uncle flew fighters out there.

I hope to do a NZ Corsair and P40. I'm hoping one day someone will put out a 1/48 P40-N so I can do 'Gloria'. I did one as an RC plane and it looked excellent. 

My friend Reg also flew in the Hudsons in the Pacific. He said it made him more nervous than flying in the Wellingtons in the desert. It was all that water.... This is an image of his Hudson cockpit.

hudson cockpit

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This is my 1/48 Brewster B339 Buffalo which I started as a practise model. I had two periods working on it over two years. The only real

challenge with this one was the cutting of the canopy. I know the Green camouflage is the wrong colour, but it was too late

to change it and I had other things to learn. Still it looks good in my cabinet. so I'm happy.  

Buffalo2

Hi Greg,

Really nice looking Buffalo - Curious as to why you think the Dark Green is wrong? Looks fine to me.

The only comment I would make, is that the Upper Roundels should be closer to the wing tips, and the upper

wing lights were deleted for the RAF 339E. Otherwise very nice :clap2:

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Regards,

David

Hi David,

Only 488 Squadron was an RNZAF Squadron perse, as it was formed at Rongatai in New Zealand 1941,

but it was still an Article XV Squadron (A Squadron manned by Commonwealth personnel but under RAF

Control)

Article XV Squadrons

Interestingly 488 Squadron "Inherited" 67 Squadron Buffaloes after arrival in Singapore circa October 1941,

There were RNZAF Personnel in other Squadrons (67 Sqn for example) in Singapore during this period.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I hope to do a NZ Corsair and P40. I'm hoping one day someone will put out a 1/48 P40-N so I can do 'Gloria'.

There are numerous 1/48 P-40N available.  I picked up an AMT kit last week off Trademe.  Basic but looks nice.

1 minute ago, dcrfan said:

There are numerous 1/48 P-40N available.  I picked up an AMT kit last week off Trademe.  Basic but looks nice.

I'm being a bit choosy with the P40-N. I really want the Hasegawa one. I know there has been one in the past.

As I'm not in a hurry I can wait and see what turns up.  

I have to agree with the others, the colours look very good to me. You have done a great job on this kit, I presume it is the Tamiya kit? I will be tackling one very shortly but it will be built as a US Navy one.

Duncan B

On 8/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, Greg Law said:
On 8/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, Dazey said:

Regards,

David

No this is the RAF one. 67sq Burma. I wasn't keen on the dragon and wanted something a bit more everyday, so I chose this one. However, most of my Pacific theater planes will be NZRAF because My uncle flew fighters out there.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:46 PM, LDSModeller said:

Hi David,

Only 488 Squadron was an RNZAF Squadron perse, as it was formed at Rongatai in New Zealand 1941,

but it was still an Article XV Squadron (A Squadron manned by Commonwealth personnel but under RAF

Control)

Article XV Squadrons

Interestingly 488 Squadron "Inherited" 67 Squadron Buffaloes after arrival in Singapore circa October 1941,

There were RNZAF Personnel in other Squadrons (67 Sqn for example) in Singapore during this period.

Regards

Alan

Hi Greg and Alan,

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

David