Shuttleworth Family Airshow August 2018 (updated 10/08/18)

Hi

For the first time in goodness knows how many years, I left my Nikon full-frame digital SLRs at home and experimented with the new bridge camera that my wife bought me as a birthday present to take with me on a work trip to the USA next month.

I must say that first impressions were very good, but I am bemused by the "bending" of some of the spinning props!

7V4s3cL9ite0E2Cig1x860nzzdTmwC8GbEDvAIjN

3r1hmsUKVD3zXeZGqj29dpVqN94EvSTOlOGF31Nk

l3N2q7_Du45DbH-TNy1tk-bpNP94pVg-oDNAgyLZ

YYYqp7NmTRFSGNmq9ZPYuuzahC-X91IGlklxSwn1

faASVcs8Lse750k4TmHK6p_ixR9rWRRGc7M7zrNb

oDZvkJbZw5yAoQOhKHaiqX0mrrxgWUnJVvd1V0o3

HBUBVyxRTbYCXWd5SCLv6pF6W9MUFhBaRV13nJpf

gZt-g7oEHr-EsDLL4MfnbsKhaqhY0_bXys88Ewg_

t_-9JjuBdRnsBEjxihBXweqlDWFfw10Lr5L7P37B

tHQ1TczR3Fs1Mm3IAHTr2mVI3Z6i6mEmGNA2ysei

1ltHUoLWdStiDw26q-gKzU8Ds9mhpwL4BDv35HzQ

AdwDw7O3g557u5y8DUwJtcoVt1Jnn1hKqkU_LE15

DBGHsc8Xj5r52tUW3Rfg6XHy_XcrBYV6sEolSXZ5

bk9Y3NJfESh24bY6XBcJYb_ol2hsyKzAqFrbp847

cIYEOxNdu1iqO8IfQntDoN_9Yfuzg5ZGAj4O4a0-

lxJKSbZNIOSF7L2J5kFfpEHoI17BfcTOyUfXiPnv

-ERLDTZ00KnMmOKUK9mHnymUc2wN7pYoWKa0XolC

T8SS2i6JjbDVFCBIHb6Yjh_ACqbb1Sbo-yAmfJLC

lx9blFwf654sIzugT6jgBq32oix0qwR6Qgk19xoG

BEBvRwvJULzFMxf9hSLANXc5Vjscn43-UoqyFeUR

MPQOzquTyNSqVeosV87VPEiG03sfMoFY-cSxYOma

kMx4oljIUEIL7FLRxNkMkLUcEY3dr8d0b9V9WelY

G71cQtxBI2Ko36cJODbhazlfdXv1H84LmnQ98HlK

QcAr5kO6DNzvhw_njzowxPmFOmYwIYAABL4ysKQU

ES3CS6fFtJzyf-q-fvi9lIVWQJpb3pEl0-MFffzr

RHoyP68tWTszfNmUFowzm1e6yPZgGgKIgBGGnJAz

Thanks for looking.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

A lovely set of shots there and gorgeous weather too. When was the last time Shuttleworth's runway looked that threadbare I wonder?

My first thought on seeing image no.3 was Benny Hill and his firemen from "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines".

I see what you mean about the spinning props. Bizarre effect!

• Like 2

The same effect of bending is to bee seen at a lot of prewar pictures as well, i still wonder why or how it occurs as i never was able to replicate this effect..

I do not dislike it as it gives me a sort of a retro effect to it.

Do you have some info about shutterspeed, aperture and focal lenght?

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

The bending is an artifact of the way that the shutter moves across the film/sensor- in the case of the bridge camera, it's the way that the sensor is scanned, as most of them don't have an actual shutter, but an electronic simulation. Shutter speed has an effect too, but mostly it's the relationship between the direction of the shutter's travel (left/right or down- I've never seen a shutter that moves up) and the direction of propeller's rotation.

A similar effect can be seen on video that's been shot with an older or low end video camera- the picture seems to 'wobble' during fast pans. In video it's called 'rolling shutter' and is again an effect from the electronic scanning of the sensor. There's a lot on YouTube about it for thems as wants to see more.

Nice photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

Latinbear, I had never seen the runway looking so brown! It was such a hot day, and very busy that I decided to leave at 4pm!

Thanks for the explanation Rob. The camera was in manual shutter mode, so I'm disappointed that the images show the effect.

Jan, I was using Shutter Priority mode. The Spitfire taxy shot was taken at 1/50 sec, the Lysander landing shot was taken at 1/125 sec and the take off and flying shots were taken at 1/250 sec. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

Latinbear, I had never seen the runway looking so brown! It was such a hot day, and very busy that I decided to leave at 4pm!

Thanks for the explanation Rob. The camera was in manual shutter mode, so I'm disappointed that the images show the effect.

Jan, I was using Shutter Priority mode. The Spitfire taxy shot was taken at 1/50 sec, the Lysander landing shot was taken at 1/125 sec and the take off and flying shots were taken at 1/250 sec. I hope that helps.

Thanks for that, i myself am always on that thin edge of shutterspeeds..

Some people think that is bonkers to do that because you have a lot more failures, nevertheless it can give you great shots!

So i think you are pretty happy with that cam!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 7:47 PM, janneman36 said:

Thanks for that, i myself am always on that thin edge of shutterspeeds..

Some people think that is bonkers to do that because you have a lot more failures, nevertheless it can give you great shots!

So i think you are pretty happy with that cam!

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan. I love experimenting with settings (but only if the aircraft is not too rare!)

The camera certainly didn't handle like a DSLR, but I got used to it very quickly, was pleased with it's light weight and very pleased with the images (which were recorded in RAW.)

On 8/6/2018 at 8:19 PM, Mr.Happy said:

Wow 😲 

Gorgeous planes and great photos of said planes👍

Thank you 🙏

Mr.Happy(In name only) 

Thanks, Mr Happy! I love Old Warden and am really pleased that you enjoyed the images.

• Like 1

Great pictures as usual Alpha-Delta, and looks like the new bridge camera is a convenient alternative to carrying loads of lenses with a DSLR.

Mark

• Like 1