F-8E Crusader, VMF(AW)232, Red Devils, Da Nang

Russ,

Yet another great build !

One of these days I may actually get one of my own Vietnam-era builds done. In the meantime, I will continue to admire your work !.

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Russ, your rendition of the F-8 of VMF (aw) 232 in Viet Nam is outstanding.  My father was commanding officer of the Devils during that deployment.  Everything about your model makes me think back to those times I was able to tour the squadron spaces in Kaneohe.  Fantastic work.  I was hoping to do something with the Trumpeter 1/32 F-8 - hopefully with a Buno that my father flew in combat.  Thank you for choosing a plane from that squadron.

Ben Trapnell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trap said:

Russ, your rendition of the F-8 of VMF (aw) 232 in Viet Nam is outstanding.  My father was commanding officer of the Devils during that deployment.  Everything about your model makes me think back to those times I was able to tour the squadron spaces in Kaneohe.  Fantastic work.  I was hoping to do something with the Trumpeter 1/32 F-8 - hopefully with a Buno that my father flew in combat.  Thank you for choosing a plane from that squadron.

Ben Trapnell

Thanks Ben, hope you do something with the Trumpeter kit, look forward to seeing it.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

Russ,

Just a little history if you're interested - After looking through his logbooks, I found my father, Col Nicholas M. Trapnell Jr. USMC, had flown F8 150871 from Da Nang twelve times in combat between November of 1966 to June 1967.  His last flight in the aircraft was June 11, 1967. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work mate! Just finishing mine but taking a while...Death Angels so a bit dirtier as they tended to be form the pics I have seen

Edited by Inshala
  • Thanks 1

Hello Russ,C,

Awesome good looking F-8E. So real photographed that you would think, I am going to board it and have a look inside.

So, museum quality and excellent photos. 

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Russ……..I don`t know how I missed this one from you prior.  I`m sure glad I ran into it now.  The replication of this Crusader is spot on perfect!!!!! I enjoy everything you share with us here but this might be my favorite.  Superb!!! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1