Avro Anson 48th scale *finished*

42 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Lovey paintwork Howard. How do you find the roundel masks? Not something I’ve tried before

Thanks Neil.  I’m still getting used to masks but like the effects you can get with them. I’ve made roundel masks myself out of sheets of kabuki tape and had good results. I’ve also used pre cut kabuki ones from Maketar. My preference is for the vinyl cut ones though.  They retain their shape and although it’s possible to stretch them, they shrink back to their original shape. Being translucent also aids in their positioning. At a push they are also re-usable which comes in handy if you make any cock ups. Montex are good and have a range of generic and specific sets. Maketar are the same and offer them in both mediums.They will also cut custom masks for serials and codes etc......like for 1/48th Stirlings:D

• Like 1

How do you position the roundels to ensure that all the circles lie concentric to one another? I can see myself making lob sided roundels unless there's an idiot proof way of doing them!

Now, custom decals you say...that's worth investigating!

21 minutes ago, woody37 said:

How do you position the roundels to ensure that all the circles lie concentric to one another? I can see myself making lob sided roundels unless there's an idiot proof way of doing them!

Sadly it's not idiot proof Neil, but just a little care and forethought yields accurate results. The key is firstly to draw four diagonals on the mask before lifting any part, these act as a register for later lifting and replacing elements of the mask. It's fiddly to begin with but as with many tasks in modelling, the more you do it, the easier it gets! I make all my masks on a Silhouette cutter linked to my computer, best investment ever made! :) 

Max 

Here's a quick update from this weekend. Some of the smaller details are on and I've run wash into the panel lines. The undercarriage is on and went well without any problems. Finally, I've sprayed a couple of coats of Testor's Dullcote and removed the masks. And the problems start...dust! Not a lot but enough to be noticeable. Also there is a crack in the starboard door window :frantic:. Don't think I can do anything about either problem, the dust is really disappointing as I went to great lengths to seal everything up when doing all that sanding.

1CAEF39B-D445-4136-B7E6-5296EBD0C3F1.jpg

3FCCE190-2CC2-4367-B2A0-58E8AFC81637.jpg

BFEDB94A-852C-472C-850B-C0F9C81281C6.jpg

Finally, a couple of shots for Max @galgos to show the undercarriage. Hopefully he will approve :)

56A61A5C-2A09-4F16-8884-5259629544CD.jpg

700E5FFE-C947-4D39-871E-0DD02C26FC1F.jpg

Not much to do now. I'm going to do a little more weathering with some oils and I need to get the turret painted. There are a few other details such as navigation lights, antenna and bracing wires for the tail planes. Hopefully this will be finished by next weekend as I'm starting to loose the love for it. Oh yeah, it needs propellers too.

• Like 5

I'm glad to say this is finally finished. The last week or so have been really frustrating, first of all the discovery of dust inside the cabin then finding the crack in the door window. Things carried on in a downward spiral with some of the etch falling off, managing to get a CA glue print on the fuselage. and the tailplane bracing pinging off. This came very close to going in the bin as the frustrations mounted and then I suddenly realised the root cause of some of my problems....my eyesight isn't what it used to be! Although I feel little different to when in my twenties, I definitely have the eyes of a 57 year old. One cheap pair of reading glasses later, and my modelling bench looked a different place :D.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics:

4CDE1E27-A454-46D7-850E-25264D505785.jpg

3F59AF17-4DA0-41BF-A990-7B9FCACC06D5.jpg

The tail plane bracing is knitting in elastic and the antenna is made from Uschi Van der Rosten rigging thread with the insulators cut from 0.5mm brass tube.

I will try and get some photos up in RFI later.

Done!!

Thanks for looking

Howard

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Howard what a lovely Anson.  Great work.  Crikey you went through the mill a bit with the last bits on the kit.  I remember a couple of years ago struggling to see the numbers I was trying to represent on the rev counter on a replica of one of my mate's Beetle. I had to get my eyes tested and as soon as I put on the glasses it seemed like a whole new world opened up again. 

You have built a cracking model. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1