Frog Vimy Trailblazer boxing

rossm

I'm posting here for two reasons:-

One - my wanted post hasn't had many views - NOW REMOVED as I have decided to plug on with the kit, see post below

Two - looking at kit contents on the web I'm not sure part 46 exists - please can anyone confirm?

TIA,

Ross

Edited by rossm
Update to remove link

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ross.

I have recently seen the Vimy in the London Science Museum, and the replica at Brooklands, so my interest was aroused when I saw your posts. As you haven't had any replies yet, I thought I might chip in with my thoughts.

The original 'Alcock and Brown' Vimy was reworked for the latter RAF bomber boxing, so I think you are right that the original windscreen would not be included in the later version.

My advice would be to try and make a windscreen from scratch. The original part would probably not be great anyway, and would need some work. Some plastic card, or better still just a small piece of clear plastic from packaging (or you can buy it from model shops if you're feeling flush!)) would be ideal. Cut it to shape and bend it appropriately, and I'm sure you will be impressed with your efforts.

Good luck with your model.

• Like 1

My Vimy kit is the 1973 boxing; Mk.IV Heavy Bomber

The fuselage and engine nacelles are still the Alcock & Brown ones and there is a windscreen - or pair. It/they are part 11

On my instructions part 46 are the four fuselage to upper tail plane struts

8 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi Ross.

I have recently seen the Vimy in the London Science Museum, and the replica at Brooklands, so my interest was aroused when I saw your posts. As you haven't had any replies yet, I thought I might chip in with my thoughts.

The original 'Alcock and Brown' Vimy was reworked for the latter RAF bomber boxing, so I think you are right that the original windscreen would not be included in the later version.

My advice would be to try and make a windscreen from scratch. The original part would probably not be great anyway, and would need some work. Some plastic card, or better still just a small piece of clear plastic from packaging (or you can buy it from model shops if you're feeling flush!)) would be ideal. Cut it to shape and bend it appropriately, and I'm sure you will be impressed with your efforts.

Good luck with your model.

My thoughts exactly - I've decided not to return the kit but plough on.

8 hours ago, Blackfordhibby said:

Ross 

There are three on ebay at the moment. One on auction sitting about £8.00 odds, one £20.00 Buy It now, and one starting price £33.00 or so.

Peter

And I cannot see a windscreen in the ones that show the parts - I suspect it was a tiny piece that easily went missing.

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

My Vimy kit is the 1973 boxing; Mk.IV Heavy Bomber

The fuselage and engine nacelles are still the Alcock & Brown ones and there is a windscreen - or pair. It/they are part 11

On my instructions part 46 are the four fuselage to upper tail plane struts

Which confirms the bomber version has a different windscreen arrangement, thanks.

• Like 1

You may be interested to know that if you want to model the RAF version you will not only need to alter the engine nacelles, you will also have to alter the fuselage as this was changed to accommodate extra fuel for crosssing the Atlantic. This means that the upper gun position and fuselage windows are too far back. The lower hatch for the rear gunner is also missing.

I have written an article on how to carry out the corrections except for the lower gun hatch - they appeared originally in January 1980 in PAM News. I have also posted the same article (without the drawings) on Modelling Madness - just look for Frog Vickers Vimy. Alternatively pm me and I can scan the original article and send you a copy.

P

Edited by pheonix
change of website
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

You may be interested to know that if you want to model the RAF version you will not only need to alter the engine nacelles, you will also have to alter the fuselage as this was changed to accommodate extra fuel for crosssing the Atlantic. This means that the upper gun position and fuselage windows are too far back. The lower hatch for the rear gunner is also missing.

I have written an article on how to carry out the corrections except for the lower gun hatch - they appeared originally in January 1980 in PAM News. I have also posted the same article (without the drawings) on Modelling Madness - just look for Frog Vickers Vimy. Alternatively pm me and I can scan the original article and send you a copy.

P

Thank you for the offer. I have a scan of that article - with drawings - from I don't know where but on t'internet somewhere. The one thing I wasn't sure about from photos was whether the exhausts were even correct for the Alcock and Brown aircraft which is what I want to model given the 100th anniversary next year. I'll do more checks before committing that area to glue, I found several photos in the Flight archive,

Cheers,

Ross