Ju-52 Crash in Switzerland

Skodadriver

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bbf2069&opt=0

This doesn't seem to have been picked up by the UK media so far.  Given the average level of aviation knowledge possessed by most journalists they may not realise there were actually TWO crashes in Switzerland on Saturday , a light aircraft accident which killed a family of four and the entirely separate accident involving the Ju-52

No firm word on casualties at the time of posting but it doesn't look good. Interesting point about the NOTAM.

My thoughts are with anyone affected by this tragedy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

The photo in the article shows Junkers on her back with what seems to be fire damage to the nose and the wings. I am no aircraft accident expert but to me the position and state of the wreck indicate low speed impact at relatively shallow angle. No doubt more information will be available soon. Very bad day for Switzerland and aviation in general.

My previous assumption could hardly have been more incorrect. According to press conference plane came down vertically at high speed and there was no post impact fire. Twenty lives gone. RIP

nnJ7qVv.jpg

I watched another one (HB-HOY) of Ju-Air planes some fifteen years ago in Maribor. Tante Ju can fly incredibly slow, one has to see it to believe it. I do hope this tragic accident will not curtail Ju-Air operations.

sad, sad news..

JanForsgrenJu52.jpg

a recent view of HB-HOT  (with Jan Forsgren who recently published a Ju 52 history for Fonthill).  Note the 'original' BMW engines with twin-bladed props (unlike the well-known Lufthansa D-AQUI which has P&W engines with three-bladed props). This is (was) the 'Where Eagles Dare' machine

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What, that was the old CN+4V? Despite oversized crosses this flick colour scheme always looked more convincing to me than actual Luftwaffe aircraft with their original camouflage colours splashed over with white distemper. Where Eagles Dare book begins with commando team being flown into action in Lancaster, whose pilot habitually infringes into neutral Swiss airspace with gunners confirming their position by looking for street lights of Swiss cities, not affected by blackout in warring countries. In the movie lack of this amusing component is more than made up with opening scenes of Ju 52 3-m, sailing majestically among Alpine peaks, with equally impressive Ron Goodwin's title theme as a music background.

• Like 2

I care not for the aircraft  it just junk now. My thoughts and feelings are with those who died and those who loved them. My thoughts are also with those who have to deal with the aftermath of this tragedy. 

If if you really want to know how this happened put pprune up and read what the pilots,wannerbe s and armchair pundits will tell you what went wrong. The dead are hardly mentioned.

must people speculate rather than wait for the official enquiry?

bye the way one of our illustrious red top papers called it a NAZI aircraft.

Sorry but I had to get this off my chest!

• Like 3