Best glue for resin building

zipper

Hello all,

I’m after some advice please on the best glue to use with resin aircraft building. The super glue I have has hardly any handling time before it set and I’m nervous of getting everything lined up before it sets and not wanting to make a mess of things, is there a glue out there that is slower setting to give you the time of day to line everything up without having things out of line and fingers stuck the the fuselage 😀

Any help and advice is much appreciated. 

Ashley

Hi Ashley

A couple of suggestions: either a slow curing super glue like Zap's Slo-Zap or tack the parts in place with an acrylic glue like Gator's Grip and then use a carefully applied medium or thin super glue to secure them in place.

There's also 2-part epoxy, which takes 5 minutes to cure hard enough to leave the parts alone.  It's icky slippery stuff though, and you really have to keep the parts still, or they'll slip & slide apart, but the joins are more robust, there's an element of gap filling that occurs, and it's more resistant to shear forces.  Super Glue is great at resisting perpendicular stress, but its shear-strength isn't as good.  Epoxy is better, so for structural parts it definitely has a place in your arsenal, but I generally use CA and always medium or thick viscosity to give you a bit of fiddle time :)