Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ozzy

ICM He-111 1/48

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

They both look great!

 

What masks do you use? I used Montex canopy masks a lot lately! Great material, fit could be a bit better at times....

Thanks exdraken,

 

they are all the Montex masks, I find them a bit more durable than the eduard sets. There sets are real value for money, with the combined canopy and marking masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waiting for a part for my airbrush, it arived today so go down to business. I gave the top a covering of RLM 70 and bellow a covering of RLM 65, I will leave her for the evening before masking and applying the RLM 71.

 

image.jpg

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

masks off, with a bit of sunshine I thought I'd take some pics on the garden table. There's a bit of touching up to do, I'm fairly content with the outcome.

 

image.jpg

 

image.jpg

 

image.jpg

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate, good looking build. If I may give a few tips. Try to clean up parts better. I can see rests of sprue attachments here and there. Carefullu scrape them of with a hobby knife. Same goes for the seam marks. You can also sand them, buy a nail polish set at your local shop. Cheap and alot of grainery, all you need.

Try to use some washes for depth and drybrush for raised details.

 

Carry on looking good as it goes!

 

Gr Tc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twentecable said:

Hey mate, good looking build. If I may give a few tips. Try to clean up parts better. I can see rests of sprue attachments here and there. Carefullu scrape them of with a hobby knife. Same goes for the seam marks. You can also sand them, buy a nail polish set at your local shop. Cheap and alot of grainery, all you need.

Try to use some washes for depth and drybrush for raised details.

 

Carry on looking good as it goes!

 

Gr Tc

Thanks Tc,

 

it worries me that I'm scraping to much, I think I need to find that happy medium. The washes is definitely an area I'm going to have a go at with this kit, I've been looking at various clips on the net and threads on the site.

 

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Really impressive build.  Nice to see those big motors too.

Thanks John,

 

it's a nice touch by ICM to include them, after hiding them away on the 88 build I thought I would keep these uncovered with the wheels down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozzy, 

If your Ju88 was 48 scale where'd you get the figures?

I've ICM's 111H-6 in my stash and was considering giving it a pilot and dorsal gunner but can't seem to find anything suitable. I've also got some single engine jobbies (Luft. and RAF) that I'd like to do wheels up if I can find any lumps of plastic daft enough to fly something built by me.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Ozzy, 

If your Ju88 was 48 scale where'd you get the figures?

I've ICM's 111H-6 in my stash and was considering giving it a pilot and dorsal gunner but can't seem to find anything suitable. I've also got some single engine jobbies (Luft. and RAF) that I'd like to do wheels up if I can find any lumps of plastic daft enough to fly something built by me.

Tom

 

The JU 88 is 1/48 Tom, I got the figures from Hannants. The 3 of them are from PJ, with the driver is a 109 pilot figure that came molding with a seat. There is a seating bar to sit the dorsal gunner on, I did fashion one of the PJ figures to stand in a Hs 126 I built.

 

Below is a picture of boxing stop give you a steer in the right direction.

 

url=https://postimg.cc/image/ue4sc3obz/]image.jpg[/url]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having the same problems that I'm seeing here and more. Your build is good, but is being let down by a few things like the wing joint and canopy to fuselage joint. When I did the canopy joint on my Do 217 it was like yours. I ended up biting the bullet and

fixed it. It isn't prefect by any means, but I'm a lot happier with it. The wing joints need a lot of work which I know will set you back, I think in the end you will find it is worth while. What happened to the cockpit glass? It looks like it is wet inside.

I'm really worried about my Do 217's glass when I take the mask off. Don't get me wrong I think you have done a great job with 95% of the model. It is just that last 5% that is letting it down which can be fixed. At the moment I'm spending more time fixing my builds than building them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I'm having the same problems that I'm seeing here and more. Your build is good, but is being let down by a few things like the wing joint and canopy to fuselage joint. When I did the canopy joint on my Do 217 it was like yours. I ended up biting the bullet and

fixed it. It isn't prefect by any means, but I'm a lot happier with it. The wing joints need a lot of work which I know will set you back, I think in the end you will find it is worth while. What happened to the cockpit glass? It looks like it is wet inside.

I'm really worried about my Do 217's glass when I take the mask off. Don't get me wrong I think you have done a great job with 95% of the model. It is just that last 5% that is letting it down which can be fixed. At the moment I'm spending more time fixing my builds than building them.   

Thanks  Greg,

 

i used the Eduard cockpit set, with that I though I would wire up the back of the instrument pannel. The wire runs along the top of the cockpit glazing, for this I decided to stick part E 10  ( glazing on fuselage) to E 15 (upper main canopy) The instructions say stick E 10 onto the fuselage in an earlier step, when I put the canopy onto the fuselage there were a few gaps around part E 10 and it was a slight angle. I thought I'd put enough filler in, but looking at the pictures looks like a little more is needed. I masked some areas of the canopy, I did it during the UKs mini heatwave. The marks are the masks adisive, I had no problems with the outside masks. The starboard wing was a bit of a pain, I got it stuck down clamped and looking good. I should have left the clamp on longer, with my inpatients took it off thinking it was dry then went out. When I got back the join had raised, I think I will revisit that area to get a better outcome.

 

i do like ICMs kits, I would like to build the 217 at some point. Having seen yours it does look nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is amazing what photos show. I'm going to make a habit of photographing my models as I build them just to check for problems. At my age the eye sight isn't what it used to be, so my work looks great until I take a photo. This is why I will near show several of my older models even though they look good in my cabinet.Once I photograph them they look terrible. Then again may be I should start a "Your worse model ever thread." That could be interesting. By the way. My Do 217 Is an old Revell kit. The ICM one hasn't appeared yet. So far I have only seen the nightfighter. I'm hoping they will bring one out in the near future. I might get the nightfighter just to encourage them to make other versions. I particularly what to see a Do 217 K. This has been missing in 1/48 scale yet it was one of the more important versions of the late war period and I'm sure would fly off the shelves if produced by ICM. I have most of their new big plane kits including the two He 111s. 

         Sorry for being critical of your model, but sometimes I think it is more helpful to the builder to suggest areas for improvement rather than say every thing looks perfect. Particularly when it is so close to being perfect like your model. I look forward to to seeing to final result.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

It is amazing what photos show. I'm going to make a habit of photographing my models as I build them just to check for problems. At my age the eye sight isn't what it used to be, so my work looks great until I take a photo. This is why I will near show several of my older models even though they look good in my cabinet.Once I photograph them they look terrible. Then again may be I should start a "Your worse model ever thread." That could be interesting. By the way. My Do 217 Is an old Revell kit. The ICM one hasn't appeared yet. So far I have only seen the nightfighter. I'm hoping they will bring one out in the near future. I might get the nightfighter just to encourage them to make other versions. I particularly what to see a Do 217 K. This has been missing in 1/48 scale yet it was one of the more important versions of the late war period and I'm sure would fly off the shelves if produced by ICM. I have most of their new big plane kits including the two He 111s. 

         Sorry for being critical of your model, but sometimes I think it is more helpful to the builder to suggest areas for improvement rather than say every thing looks perfect. Particularly when it is so close to being perfect like your model. I look forward to to seeing to final result.

 

 

 

I appreciated your comments Gerg, it's the Do 17 I was thinking of that ICM do. Even though I don't build that many aircraft, I do like ICM German bombers. Your idea of a worse model ever would be an interesting thread, I've had some shockers over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing what you see in photos.

i've always assumed that the nose glazing on the '111 was symmetrical when viewed from above! Until I looked at Ozzie's pics.

It's true that you learn something new every day.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

It's amazing what you see in photos.

i've always assumed that the nose glazing on the '111 was symmetrical when viewed from above! Until I looked at Ozzie's pics.

It's true that you learn something new every day.

Tom

I thought the same Tom, I had only built the Airfix kit in the past which did have symmetrical glazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×