ICM He-111 1/48

Ozzy

I'm an occasional aircraft modeller, I thought I would build this kit over the summer. I picked it up  at the Salisbury show, I built ICM's Ju88 a while ago and really enjoyed the build. 

Heres my build, be gentle with me. Hints and tips very welcome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Good start. This is one of my to do kits in the near future.So I will be hanging around here. Keep us informed of any issues with the kit. I really like ICM kits.

It was a pity they didn't get the Ju 88,s cockpit right. That is the only issue I have with them is they don't fix their mistakes in the next version on the kit. The Ju88 is a perfect example of that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sea said:

Good start. This is one of my to do kits in the near future.So I will be hanging around here. Keep us informed of any issues with the kit. I really like ICM kits.

It was a pity they didn't get the Ju 88,s cockpit right. That is the only issue I have with them is they don't fix their mistakes in the next version on the kit. The Ju88 is a perfect example of that.

Thanks Sea,

I will definitely be documenting my build as I've been looking for another build thread but have only found the reviews for these kits. It's going to be built out of the box, I may get eduard cockpit set and definitely Montex masking set. It will be wheels down with engines showing. I was going to get a crew but not sure where they all go.

if you see any anomalies in the cockpit I would be interested to know.

below is my Ju 88 cockpit.

image.jpg

regards

oz

• Like 2

This is what I think on crew placement for the He111 H-3. There was two in the cockpit. Pilot and bombardier.  There was one in the gondola who was a Gunner and also the radio operator.

There was a Gunner in the top portion. The last one was in the area below the top Gunner. He used the side guns. Not sure who did the navigation. I think it was the bombardier. I'm sure others can help with this as well.

Edited by Sea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea said:

This is what I think on crew placement for the He111 H-3. There was two in the cockpit. Pilot and bombardier.  There was one in the gondola who was a Gunner and also the radio operator.

There was a Gunner in the top portion. The last one was in the area below the top Gunner. He used the side guns. Not sure who did the navigation. I think it was the bombardier. I'm sure others can help with this as well.

Thanks for the information Sea, sounds a bit crowded in some areas. I think this kit will stay crew less.

Yes I think you are right. With the big clear canopy it will show the cockpit nicely. Shame to hide it all. Can I suggest you leave one of the Ju88's crew out. Tphe one on the back right when  looking forward . Just say he is in the gondola. He is hiding too much of the cockpit. Just a thought. 

Greg Law

Edited by Sea
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sea said:

Yes I think you are right. With the big clear canopy it will show the cockpit nicely. Shame to hide it all. Can I suggest you leave one of the Ju88's crew out. Tphe one on the back right when  looking forward . Just say he is in the gondola. He is hiding too much of the cockpit. Just a thought. 

Greg Law

He would have been manning his machine gun down in the gondola, but I had planned to display in an opportune dive bombing run on some T-34's

image.jpg

• Like 1

ive been pottering around on my build over the weekend, I've built the bombs, control surfaces, and the undercarriage. All went together really well, I have started to paint the various sub assembly's below being the engines. I've also ordered so goodies from Hannants, some etched bits and window an marking masks.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Starting to to look a bit more like a He 111, she's big, well bigger than the others on my shelf. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've never wired up an instrument panel before, I thought I would give it a go as there is quite a bit of glass to see it through. I found some pictures on the net of the cockpit IP layout.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, exdraken said:

looking very impressive!!

Thanks exdraken,

the kit is going together really well, it's my summer vacation build. Both a brake from work and armour builds.

4 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That's a good looking 111. Nice work on the engines!

Thanks Thom,

I'm going to keep as much of the cowling off, as it would be a shame to cover them up.

my goodies turned today, I spent the afternoon masking up some both inside and out. I've also got the seat belt set and the cockpit set, but not the full set as I ordered the wrong one.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Ive been busy folding etch the past few days, I've also done a bit of scratch building. It's been an excuse to watch the Battle of Britain film again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Great job ozzy, it's looking really nice

Thanks Glynn,

ive just noticed that the seat belts on the drivers seat need sticking down, I've got some machine guns to paint then I can seal her up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work so far! :)

Håkan

Thanks Hakan,

i try and keep my hand in building aircraft, I try to build 2 or 3 a year to brake up the armour builds.

I've had a really productive weekend the kit goes together really well. I did cut the locating pins off as they were a little tight for the holes. She's a little multi coloured as I'm using Montex masks, I think I may have used the wrong cross on one of the wings.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sea said:

That is coming along nicely. You must be very pleased with.

What scheme are you doing?

Greg Law

Thanks Greg,

I'm very pleased with the kit and my progress, I was a little worried about the fit when I had dry fitted. Once the glue went on she fitted very well, I'm going to do splinter camouflage of an aircraft from France 1940.

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Multi colored?

Looking good for now!

Painted markings usually look so much better! Whaz is wrong with the crosses?

Thanks exdraken,

its looking more more black and white than multi coloured thinking about it, I've done a couple of builds now using paint masks. The sets normally come with canopy masks also and aren't to expensive, one of the crosses on the port wing was meant for the fuselage I think? This set didn't come with a guide.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2