Ford Trimotor

Hi all

I have been beavering away on this little beauty of a kit.  It went together very well.

Here is a short WIP

Model is mostly OOB with the addition of cables for rudder and elevators and levers on the side for the elevators.  Slightly weathered with oils as I read these could get a bit dirty and some powders for the exhaust staining.  That is about it.

8f95e158-60c5-4ce5-a29a-dd5f8a2e225e.JPG

8439757c-f122-4221-80e4-c68d11fb159f.JPG

762a101b-a9d5-4cda-a7d5-7073042a1865.JPG

3387dc91-237e-4f46-b388-7b785b9d914d.JPG

2bd1bd2c-001d-4904-855f-01ff771a70b5.JPG

8f3d1d9c-0003-4337-a0fc-367608f18f40.JPG

f0ce5181-e1c6-4a92-972d-85a0873ee4f0.JPG

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed them.

I enjoyed putting this little Airfix Gem together.

All the best
Chris

• Like 46

Very nice build, I made Airfix Tri-motor some 4 years ago (and still I am using it as my avatar since it wa my first post on BM). The Airfix propellers are for some reverse thrust, don you think so? ;)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Lovely build mate :clap:

I really like these planes, I've got the same kit in my stash, mines a late 60's kit, the decals have yellowed trying to find replacements no luck as yet.  

Hi Kev 

Thanks fella.  Good on give it a go, it's a good kit.  Read the yellowing of the decals if you hang them up in a window that catches the sun the yellowing should disappear. 

Hope this helps. 

All the best 

Chris 

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Kev 

Thanks fella.  Good on give it a go, it's a good kit.  Read the yellowing of the decals if you hang them up in a window that catches the sun the yellowing should disappear. 

Hope this helps. 

All the best 

Chris 

Really, I'd have thought it would have been the opposite i.e. the would yellow. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Really, I'd have thought it would have been the opposite i.e. the would yellow. 

Yes same here. I was told that years ago but forgot to do and ended up having to paint around the decals. 

All the best

Chris 

6 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

I'd have thought it would have been the opposite i.e. the would yellow. 

The yellowing is a chemical reaction in the decal film/varnish. put them in a small zip lock bag to keep out the moisture, hang them in a window that faces the sun, it might take a couple of weeks but the UV rays should bleach the yellow away. be sure to use some Liquid decal film on them afterwards though, this is advisable for any old decals.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome!

Although I never owned the kit, I always liked the look of it for some reason - I guess tri-motors (whether Ford, Fokker, Junkers or whatever) just fascinate me.

Your work looks spot-on.  Very authentic and realistic to my eye.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1