Something Fishy... but not a MiG ++FINISHED++

Something 60's and Cold-War eh ?  Just to keep it varied, lets go for something Soviet and NOT a MiG-21......    as luck would have it found just the thing lurking in the stash.....

IMG_20180804_121100723

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 9

Excellent choice. 

Everyone I know including myself has an su11 or derivative in the cabinet somewhere. 

Great to see you doing the honours here. 

Colin 

1. Pictures to follow when I return from broadband wilderness (LFA 14), but in the meantime here are some ramblings:

1. This aint no Airfix kit.  If I had to pick one word to describe the fit, it would be 'awfull'. If I had to pick 2 words it would be ' b***** awfull'.

2. Cockpit tub : dry fitting determined that seat slot in the base was in the wrong position. Needed to be further to the rear. Also base slightly too long, some trimming required.

3. Fitting cockpit tub inside fuselage : it didn't....

Lots of sanding required and lowering of instrument panel.

4. Closing up fuselage : again, it didn't....

Even more sanding required, after thinning the width of the cockpit tub fractionally, and trimming bits off the spokes of the bit behind the nosecone, got the two halves close enough together to glue.

5. Wings : usually expect the two upper and lower surfaces to sit flush. These don't. Took a while to work out that it was supposed to be like that !

6. Painting scheme - maybe its just me, but humbrol 2003 (polished steel) looks too dark next to humbrol 2002 ( polished aluminium).   2002 on the other hand looks spot-on. Will have to do some googling to see if it should be more of a 'dark silver' rather than 'pale gunmetal' on the nosering and exhaust sections.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2

Well, what did you expect? Not Airfix , not Tamiya....

But I likd your No 5 ... :D

regarding the colors, you could always mix the 2 to your favourite shade.... or shades!

Edited by exdraken

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics as promised.

First the cockpit tub that plagued me with issues 2-4 !

IMG_20180809_222153735

Now a shot of how it looks at the moment :

IMG_20180821_142219437

It's turned into a Strikemaster     just a few aerials & canopy to fit,  and paint on tailfin to finish off.  Then decals.   Then swearing at the fingerprints on the paint from holding it while applying decals :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am still alive... just hadn't had a lot of time for modelling lately.

Progress continues, just need to finish the decalling and stick on the pointy bits to nose & wing.

(  That's right, the pointy probes that break off way too easily if you attach them before decalling....  :)  )

IMG_20180909_172300483

• Like 4

It was going so well... and then it turned into an AModel kit...

Seems that they have committed the cardinal sin of showing the left side view but not the right side view in the instructions  .....   going to have to guess which decals go where !!!

• 2 weeks later...

It was looking good right up until the last piece.... nose pitot didn't want to come of the runners in one piece, and result of glueing back together doesn't look great. Might have to give in to the aftermarket dark side after seeing a nice metal one on Hannants.....

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

What's one tiny wafer-thin pitot probe worth ?  Quite a bit when similar items for F-14, Mig-29 and F-100 all decide to jump in the shopping basket along with the SU-11 one.   Practicing my excuses now.... "but Hannants had a minimum order value..."  :)

• Like 1

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.... in this case, mostly expletives....

Here's the kit pitot that I'm not completely happy with - unless doing a WHIF of after the pilot parked too close to the hanger wall  :)

IMG_20180920_074540857

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, IanHx said:

Spot the difference.....

IMG_20180922_174629672

Afaik, pitots exist in 2 variants on the Su-9! But then you have a Su-11!!

The simple one could be the  earlier one. ...

Edited by exdraken