Timm N2T-1 Tutor 1/72nd vac

A simple vacuum-formed model from Execuform. This is again for a friend, since my interest on the type is less than nihil.

It is posted so it can hopefully encourage those having vac kits and not quite gathering momentum to start one.

It's easy, as you will see.

I agreed to build it under the condition that it will be completed on a civil paint scheme.

Not like this one below, but in a simpler scheme (it gives an idea of the type, though):

From Wikipedia:

Timm_N2T-1_N56520_(7827462018).jpg

This was surely a vintage edition, since it has white metal parts:

Contents of the kit's bag:

42928627955_bfc855774c_b.jpg

The white metal accessories:

42928628795_af20b837a9_b.jpg

The very simple parts, an Execuform trade mark:

43831983381_581fa16d26_b.jpg

And what pilots and modelers like: redundancy!

Several canopies vacuformed in thin very clear plastic:

42928628605_bbbf3986b7_b.jpg

In this mold, parts are marked and cut from the back of the sheet, where the parting line is clear:

42928628475_faacb0846f_b.jpg

Parts off the backing sheet with no effort:

42928628315_59baa8a9f2_b.jpg

The nice (for the time) white metal parts:

42928628235_3eb5e79c27_b.jpg

The engine even has the cylinder exhaust stacks:

42928628055_b13a250abf_b.jpg

All parts free en ready for some little surface detail (there is a plan with the kit, and you have to engrave everything regarding surface detail, even ailerons, flaps, rudder and elevator lines:

28896089407_c9b0fd5700_b.jpg

Edited by Moa
to add information
  • Like 7

The nice part of vacs: I nicked an edge, which was easily and quickly repaired adding a sliver of plastic:

43836296841_ce1efa7296_b.jpg

And then trimmed back and sanded smooth:

43836296681_a32e639576_b.jpg

You can't even tell where it was.

So the fear of vacs is mostly unjustified, because repairs are usually easier than with resin or injected kits.

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 8

Execuform kits remind me of some balsa kits from the 1950s with their "pre-cut" parts. The basic shapes are there; you just have to "refine" them. That said, this is probably the only kit of the Timm Tutor we are ever going to see. Only 262 were built, all for the US Navy during WW II, and only 8 remain on the US civil register today. There are also some in museums. Its resin impregnated and molded plywood structure was revolutionary for its time, but did not allow for long-term preservation. The aircraft pictured, N56520, was serial number 204. It was cancelled from the US civil register in August 1970.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Execuform kits remind me of some balsa kits from the 1950s with their "pre-cut" parts. The basic shapes are there; you just have to "refine" them. That said, this is probably the only kit of the Timm Tutor we are ever going to see. Only 262 were built, all for the US Navy during WW II, and only 8 remain on the US civil register today. There are also some in museums. Its resin impregnated and molded plywood structure was revolutionary for its time, but did not allow for long-term preservation. The aircraft pictured, N56520, was serial number 204. It was cancelled from the US civil register in August 1970.

Thanks for the background story, Michael.

12 hours ago, Moa said:

You can't even tell where it was.

So the fear of vacs is mostly unjustified, because repairs are usually easier than with resin or injected kits.

Well, we can because you showed us where it was but nicely repaired all the same and that "thing" by Merlin you have on your bench would make almost anything look a doddle!

Martian 👾

• Haha 2

Halves glued together and seams treated. The fit is good, and the gauge of the plastic is generous, allowing for comfortable sanding and refining.

The wing to fuselage fit requires work and filler.

I chose to add the interior (still to be scratched) through the wing opening under the fuselage.

Now all the control surfaces have to be engraved:

28931720647_0cfd7aeace_b.jpg

• Like 6

The elements of the interior are fashioned:

43891493081_d1e5ee45d9_b.jpg

A spar is installed for the stab:

42082868060_671e55f8d1_b.jpg

If you follow the kit's marked lines on the horizontal tail the angle will be wrong (guess how I found out). So I had to put a supplement of plastic at the roots of the stab halves and once dry re-angle:

43891492521_aaa0fd0ef1_b.jpg

Decals for the inst. panels:

42082867540_bb8dd86c21_b.jpg

A few more details and it will be ready to go in:

42082867150_fc5fdb9713_b.jpg

• Like 9

Since minor variations occurred between airframes, be sure to get photos of your intended subject.

In this case the faired headrest was absent, and an anti-roll mast was located between cockpits.

The windshields on my model will be curved as on the original plane, not faceted, therefore the kit's transparencies will not be used.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice simple vacform - always good to cut one's teeth on these. I have built 35-40 vacs and enjoy the challenge - real modelling skills, although mine often cause cock-ups! This should look mighty purdy in civil colours.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Thanks for the great story @Moa, now the vacuum-form models are explained. Very impressive work, have a good luck!

Cheers! 🙃

Hi Nikolay!

Not sure the vacs were explained, but at least it's a reasonable glimpse on that particular media.

I have posted here at Britmodeller some other vacs. In general building them is a pleasant experience for me.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 23:10, Moa said:

Not sure the vacs were explained, but at least it's a reasonable glimpse on that particular media.

Now the vacs are not so mysterious and complicated for me (from the first look).

On 07/08/2018 at 23:10, Moa said:

I have posted here at Britmodeller some other vacs. In general building them is a pleasant experience for me.

Thanks, I’ll check them!

Cheers! 🙃