V-22 as COD for the new QEII Carrier?

Graeme

1 hour ago, jpk said:

... I think the RN made a mistake not making the QE, PoW with cats, arresting gear and F-35C capable. Was the possibility of conversion built into the QE and PoW to later install those capabilities if funds permit?

We were told such flexibility was built into the design.  It was even said that PoW might be built with them or that they might be installed at first major refit.  But it wasn't.  Either that or BAE got greedy and ted quoted completely unacceptable prices for something they didn't want to do.  

PS Those in the know may well tell us that providing cats and traps at a later date was never going to be a realistic option once the first steel was cut.  That doesn't affect what the taxpaying public were being told at the time.

1 hour ago, FIGHTS ON said:

"jet efflux" burning the flight deck netting on the sides of the flight deck]

I would never have thought of that ! Wonder what the weight penalty would be to have metal netting?

We will just need to get those awfully nice chaps at Westlands  Leonardo's to stretch a Merlin  (like S-61N) then.

Didn't the then new Conservative government look into redesigning QE2 to fit steam cats and change the order from F-35B STOVL to F-35C CTOL types??

It proved impossible - with one of the reasons given is that because of her turbine (essentially RR Trents) powerplant, she cannot make steam to power the cats.

She could be fitted with EMALS cats - but they are not yet operational.

Bottom line - it can't be done.

Ken

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Carrier On-board Delivery = COD

Well all I could think of was Cash On Delivery so I guess I wasn’t too far off! 😁

Thanks

Graham

On 8/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, GMK said:

The V-22 also has greater speed and range than either the Wildcat or Merlin...

and the Chinook.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

The V-22 is the only carrier capable aircraft able to carry the F35s engines. 

As a slung load. Pretty sure it will not fit internally.

3 hours ago, hairystick said:

and the Chinook.

As a slung load. Pretty sure it will not fit internally.

No - it’s internal. That was a mandatory requirement so that the CMV-22 could fly the F-35 engine out to the carrier battle group. 

PWMnEw9.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GMK said:

No - it’s internal. That was a mandatory requirement so that the CMV-22 could fly the F-35 engine out to the carrier battle group. 

Good to know. 

I wonder if that engine is for a "C" or a "B"? With all the extra stuff protruding out the front for the lift fan, perhaps that was where the additional space/weight was being added into the equation?

1 hour ago, hairystick said:

Good to know. 

I wonder if that engine is for a "C" or a "B"? With all the extra stuff protruding out the front for the lift fan, perhaps that was where the additional space/weight was being added into the equation?

My understanding is that the F135-400 (engine for the F-35C) and the F135-600 (engine for the F-35B), in terms of physical envelope of the engine itself, is essentially the same. The -600 plugging into the separate Integrated Lift Fan Propulsion System (ILFPS) module. 

For the purposes of the CMV-22, the COD requirement includes delivery of carrier air wing spare engines onto aircraft carriers. So, that’s the F404 for the C/D Hornets, F414 for the E/F/G Super Hornets/Growlers, and the T56 for the E-2, with the F135-400 for the C model Lightning. As the conventional C-2 COD can’t land on an Amphibious Assault Ship (LHD, LHA, etc.), I’m not sure carrying the F135-600 (or the F402-RR for the AV-8B, for that matter) was a requirement. 

All that being said, taking the commonality between the F135-400 and F135-600 engines, I imagine that freighting the -600 engine internally via CMV-22 wouldn’t be too tricky to pull off. 

• 2 weeks later...