Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945 - 2nd Edition

Lee Howard

Hi All

It is now 23 years since the first edition of Air-Britain's 'Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945' was published and Mick Burrow and I are currently motoring our way through amendments and additions that have come to light since then with a view to publishing a much-needed, much improved second edition, hopefully within the next 18 months.

The amount of new and corrective material unearthed is staggering and, as with the recent 'The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm', the print quality and photographic coverage will be vastly superior.

In a bid to try and ensure that as much information is captured and incorporated (a third edition is probably unlikely given the timeframe for production), I would like to invite anyone with information they believe might be additional to, or corrective of, what was in Edition 1 to drop me a PM. Mick and I are also keen to source any new images - especially with identifiable unit marking and serials - for potential use.

['iang' - lost contact with you for far too long! Hope you are well.]

Here's hoping for some feedback!

Thanks in advance.

Lee

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

I`m really looking forward to this book and sent Mick quite a few photos a year or so ago,..... hope you can make use of them.

Cheers

Tony

Tony

Contributions have been welcome, so on Mick's behalf thanks. I presume you sent them to his new address (and not his old Yeovil one)? Always keen to see new photos/have suggested amendments and additions sent through.

Lee

• 7 months later...

I've had, this week, a list of suggested amendments and additions to the original 1995 'Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945' from Claudio Narduzzi (thanks Claudio!). We're still open to any more comments (I'm currently wading through Hellcats) to add to the mountain of amendments, so please do send me a message if you think you can assist. With dwindling resources left to tap and with the amount of time it has taken to get to this stage it is likely to be the last reprint of the book, so I'm keen to try and capture as many changes as possible and make it as definitive as possible. Judging by the number of times it gets referred to on this site alone, the book is still held in high regard (the second edition will be far more accurate, as the original did have quite a lot of errors) and so I think it would be in everyone's interest to make this new version as good as possible.

Please PM me if you think you can help. (Ian G, nudge!)

Regards

Lee

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this topic is still being monitored, not sure how to go from public to private in this forum.  A quick note to find out.

Did a study on pre/during/post WWII aircraft production that included looking at the RAF contract cards, an incomplete set of cards meant to be tracking aircraft orders from the 1930's to the late 1940's.  Also looked at were the delivery logs, which cover K1000 to RZ499.  However both largely ignore RN aircraft after the FAA returned to the RN but often make a comment if an aircraft was transferred to a non RAF user, useful given how many Hurricanes and other types were transferred, for example RN Beauforts anyone?  Various other files were consulted in order to clarify things including comparing the 1st Edition Sea Hurricane list with other sources.  Hence the discussion under Canadian Hurricanes.

Of course the main aim was to come up with accurate production figures.  For example clarifying whether Barracuda RK425 to RK428 and RK498 to RK528 were built, the answer is no.  This may help in terms of noting the numbers of aircraft that were officially built for the RN.

Suggest you send a private message to Lee and take it from there.  Just click on his name in bold on his posts and you'll be prompted for the rest.  You would not be the first person on this site not to want to broadcast the hard-won results of their research on the internet.

PS Lee last looked in on Saturday.

Edited by Seahawk
3 words added so it actually makes sense!

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Suggest you send a private message to Lee and take it from there.  Just click on his name in bold on his posts and you'll be prompted for the rest.  You would not be the first person on this site to broadcast the hard-won results of their research on the internet.

Thanks for that.  Log on first then look up profile then send message seems to be the proper sequence.  Message sent.  Not sure about hard won results.

No replies so far.  Anyway the photographs mentioned in the private message.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sjharker_nbn/Korea1953N/index.html

Web page under construction, captions to be redone and photograph order to be rearranged.  HMS Ocean off Korea, including a certain Sea Fury WJ232.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geoffrey,

Apologies, I overlooked the message as it went into a Spam folder. That said, I'm not entirely sure what the gist of the message was? You seemed to be saying that you'd done some research, but I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make? Is there something that we've put into print in the various books that you feel is incorrect?

Lee

No problems about the delayed reply, if I could only figure out how to see my private messages again I could be sure of what I said back then.

I have not seen a copy of the updated versions of the book so I am not in a position to comment on them.  I have found differences in the original versions and things like the production reports and RAF delivery logs, for example NF702 ad NF735.  I have copies of official British Naval Aircraft Production reports for the RN from 1933 to early 1955 as a possible sanity check, with the caveat such reports can and do omit regular production aircraft for a number of reasons and I have only double checked/cross referenced 1935 to 1949.

The delivery logs generally mention when an aircraft was transferred to the RN/FAA

Finally I wanted to mention the web site and its photographs.