Dornier Do J Wal Amodel 1:72

On 04/08/2018 at 13:58, Max Komendantov said:

Judging by the photo of the prototype, Amodel was wrong with the coloring. The number on the fuselage is clearly white, and on the silver background the inscription would not be readable. Meanwhile, for Polar Aviation, the orange-blue colors are standard.

14-1.jpg

I have to disagree, I am afraid. I think A Model's colour scheme is quite correct. I have studied Wal a lot and that is standard Wal colour scheme (all countries) of grey hull and silver wings. It's an old military Wal that was transferred to Aviaartika and has had a minimal repaint of adding orange to leading edges of wings. Tupolev at far left is probably in Aviaartika orange scheme and appears dark. Photo is probably taken using orthochromatic film, which makes orange appear dark, so there is no possibility that Wal is in the colours you have chosen. Sorry !

On 04/08/2018 at 10:43, Pin said:

Max, are you sure about the colours?

AModel suggests silver/orange paint rather than orange/blue

A Model is correct in my strong opinion. The hull is mid-grey , so the white registration would be easily visible. Grey hull/silver wings colour scheme was standard for all Wals, including the Russian. The Aviaartika Wals were old military aircraft which were transferred after they were obsolete for military service. As this was WW2, I don't think they would have bothered giving them a fancy repaint. See also my comment above.

6 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

I have to disagree, I am afraid. I think A Model's colour scheme is quite correct. I have studied Wal a lot and that is standard Wal colour scheme (all countries) of grey hull and silver wings. It's an old military Wal that was transferred to Aviaartika and has had a minimal repaint of adding orange to leading edges of wings. Tupolev at far left is probably in Aviaartika orange scheme and appears dark. Photo is probably taken using orthochromatic film, which makes orange appear dark, so there is no possibility that Wal is in the colours you have chosen. Sorry !

I do not agree. The history of Polar aviation is my hobby and I studied a lot of old photos. In Polar Aviation, almost all the planes were ex-military and were repainted in such a scheme to improve visibility among ice and snow.

Edited by Max Komendantov

4 hours ago, Max Komendantov said:

I do not agree. The history of Polar aviation is my hobby and I studied a lot of old photos. In Polar Aviation, almost all the planes were ex-military and were repainted in such a scheme to improve visibility among ice and snow.

Most of Aviaartikas planes were indeed orange/blue (Tupolevs, Putilov Stal), but the Wal in that photo isn't.  The key fact is Tupolev in background of photo is orange and that matches wing leading edge colour on Wal.  Wal wing leading edge is not same colour as fuselage. That photo is in complete agreement with A Model's illustrated colour scheme ( I study pre-WW2 civil aircraft colours and have thousands of photos taken with different film types, so I am well aware of the different characteristics of old films).   Just because we want to believe a 'nice' colour scheme doesn't mean it was so.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Max Komendantov said:

OK. And what color is the airplane in this photo?file.php?id=1246&mode=view

It's in the 'usual' blue and orange colour scheme and it's taken using panchromatic film.  No dispute about that.....the Tupolevs were in that colour scheme.   A very nice photo.

30 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

It's in the 'usual' blue and orange colour scheme and it's taken using panchromatic film.  No dispute about that.....the Tupolevs were in that colour scheme.   A very nice photo.

That's right, but there are still engines of red color.

Orange is very often confused with white and silvery. To know exactly, you need to know what kind of film was used and what the weather was that day. The big controversy has caused here this photo:

file.php?id=60295&mode=view

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max Komendantov said:

Many researchers write about the blue-orange color, others about the red-silvery. The dispute lasts for about twenty years :)

Agreed;  I can't say what colour that is..... 

• Like 1