Mitsubishi Ki-46 II 'Dinah'

With my little tank all done and dusted, thoughts turned to what to build next. Imagine my delight when I discovered I had a stash queen that was released the same year as me :o 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=607

This is obviously the later boxing, although the Modelzone full price sticker does date it a little.

HFYDxE8.jpg

The parts still look authentically 60's - no engine fronts for the cowls and the wheels have settled on being round as their crowning achievement.

f0A2CTO.jpg

Instructions have been revamped since the first issue, as have the decals.

kHlHaws.jpg

0HH1pjA.jpg

I'm going to enjoy this. Hope you do too.

Andy

Comic san

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice choice; one of my favourite aircraft :) 

What colour scheme are you planning?

Cheers,

Stew

I'm thinking the 'hemp' one. I have paint that will do for either, but I prefer that tail marking and the white bands should be fairly simple to mask up.

Andy

• Like 3

Oops :o 

You know when you've slapped some paint and stuff about and you try test fitting a couple of pieces, then glue appears and before you know it you've got a half built kit and no photos? That's what happened to me this afternoon.

Wish I'd read Nick Millman's blog before I started with the paint though - it turns out Airfix and I were both wrong about colours but they were less wrong than me. Mitsubishi didn't use aotake on the inside of IJAAF aircraft because said Army told them to use dark grey. Airifx got some of that right (but also specified a lot of aluminium). Found out too late to change the interior, but it will be pretty dark in there so I might just get away with it.

Anyhoo, here's some pics: 

The rear cockpit looking forward, showing the properly coloured floor and seat and the observer's map table.

ByzzPI9.jpg

The pilot's office with the very nice instrument panel decal and control yoke.

kLHIS1j.jpg

Looking aft at the same cockpit.

eiU428V.jpg

And a general view.

iH2vUiJ.jpg

The MLG bays and doors will have that lovely metallic turquoise overpainted dark grey before the next pic. The brown marks on the fuselage are where I used some paint as a sanding guide on the seams. The inner wings got some experimental beige for the same reason. No filler used yet, and I nearly have the final colour sorted thanks to this article: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/04/ki-46-colours.html

Andy

Keen

Edited by Foxbat
Forgot last photo
  • Like 7

Got some proper paint on - a custom mix as suggested in the link from last time - Tamiya XF76 lightened with light grey and a little white. The result is very strange, going from grey to beige to light green(ish) depending on ambient light and background. That's the point of camouflage though so all good. Control surface hinge lines have been picked out using a biro - proper old school modelling :) 

This is where I'm at this morning. Just got to gird my loins and attempt the canopy framing, hoping that a) I don't make too much mess and b) using the original base XF76 doesn't stand out too much.

JF2Fo7K.jpg

BhfpoOy.jpg

Note that there's little bumps on the underside of the cabin floor to represent the cameras in the two bays. Also, there are cut outs in the end of the engine nacelles so the flaps can actually drop - a feature from 1965 missed on the 21st century bf 110 new tool.  

Andy

• Like 6

I masked and painted the upper wing stripes, then had a go (less successfully) at the fuselage. I Had a burning desire to see if I'd got them about the right width, which involved clagging a decal on. That turned into a marathon decalling session, which got me to here.

Anything to avoid that canopy framing :D 

I've drowned everything in DecalFix so I'll leave it overnight to see how they settle. Also, how mucky they are; I mostly use that jar as brush restorer after heavy acrylic painting sessions so it's no longer as clear as it was.

0Krj7GG.jpg

Andy

Coming along nicely.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2018 at 21:45, Foxbat said:

I masked and painted the upper wing stripes, then had a go (less successfully) at the fuselage. I Had a burning desire to see if I'd got them about the right width, which involved clagging a decal on. That turned into a marathon decalling session, which got me to here.

Anything to avoid that canopy framing :D 

I've drowned everything in DecalFix so I'll leave it overnight to see how they settle. Also, how mucky they are; I mostly use that jar as brush restorer after heavy acrylic painting sessions so it's no longer as clear as it was.

Andy

Coming along nicely.

Hoping the canopy masking and painting is also coming along nicely! Bite the bullet and put us out of our misery - this one finished will be one to see! Cheers. Mike.

I've re-done the fuselage stripe as I really wasn't happy with it. Also added the props and undercarriage, so on the final straight. Spent the only free night I've had recently (I work in a college, and we're right in the middle of enrolment) charging my camera; life's like that. More pics and progress early next week.

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update, this is where she's at this morning.

Forgot to mention last time, the painting instructions aren't a good match for the kit as the aileron is a different shape and size and the panel lines are totally different. That meant the outboard leading edge stripe decals overlapped the white stripe I'd already painted so I had to paint over the ends. All good fun though :D 

1Byn1u2.jpg

Andy

Moving slowly onward

• Like 5

Well, the only parts to still attach are the canopies. Get them done, plus a little detail painting and she's done. I'm in hospital this weekend but I've then got the last 2 weeks of the GB to sit at home and recuperate so I think I'll get her over the line :D 

Andy

Optimistic in the face of experience.

• Like 3

Andy, sorry to hear you’ve been consigned to hospital - I hope it’s nothing serious and all is well. The Dinah is coming along really well and I think the clean lines suit this colour scheme the best. It’ll be good to finish her off and add another classic to the Gallery. 

Cheers and get well soon.. Dave 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Andy, sorry to hear you’ve been consigned to hospital - I hope it’s nothing serious and all is well. The Dinah is coming along really well and I think the clean lines suit this colour scheme the best. It’ll be good to finish her off and add another classic to the Gallery. 

Cheers and get well soon.. Dave 

Cheers Dave, very kind. It's a fairly minor op to repair self-inflicted damage resulting from spending half my life being a bloater. Should be back at the bench before the weekend is out. Getting thin(ner) and fit is, like the Dinah, a work in progress but one which is nearer the end than the start :D 

Andy

Svelte - for values of... 

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 4

I've been framing the canopies with painted selotape, but I'm not sure about the front one and may have another try. In the meantime, inspired by Big X, I've been playing with inks and washes on small scale vehicles. So, nothing to do with Airfix or the group build, but a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure:

Zvezda AEC Matador 4x4 gun tractor, 1/100 scale.

FYLPqTU.jpg

And the all important penny shot. I'll touch up that front tyre and add some decals when they arrive. This will be the first vehicle in my 1st Polish Armoured Division collection.

j1TgTQv.jpg

Andy

On the sick, but back at the bench regardless.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I painted some selotape and hacked it about to make window frames. I'm really not happy with the result - they're way too fat and I had to touch in gaps but at this late stage they'll have to do. The next one will be better. On that basis, I'm calling this one done. More pics will be in the gallery later.

PsdvdYb.jpg

Andy

• Like 7