This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
LooseSeal

Tips for wiring/cabling?

Hello! So I'm starting my second model of the year (Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ) and I'd like to try adding my own details this time round, and thought I'd start with extra cabling around the engine.

Can anyone give some tips or provide a link to a good article about this topic? At the moment I'm not entirely sure on what type of material (lead wire, aluminium, electrical wiring?) to use, the best way to bend them to shape or which particular glue is best to use. I got some aluminium tubing, but it seems so difficult to actually bend into the right shape.

Posted (edited)

The wiring on this was done with lead and brass wire all glued with superglue.

mLMrH9N.jpg

The lead wire is cheaper if bought in a fishing tackle shop as it’s used for fly tying. It’s available in different thicknesses, but you can roll lengths of it under a flat surface like a steel rule to make it even thinner. If needed you can even give it a texture (like a braided hose) if you roll a fine file over it.

1X8vKfp.jpg?1

Edit: Forgot to say, if you anneal copper or brass wire first it’ll make it softer and less brittle and much easier to bend. Using lead wire avoids this, as it’s so soft to begin with.

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco

Lead wire works quite well. Easy to route and finish.