1-32 Sopwith Camel, Wingnut Wings needless to say!

Now that I have moved house and got everything sorted out (most importantly the man-cave shed), I can now get back to doing some modelling! My first build in the new house will be this:

DSC_0815.JPG

A few years back I build the WnW DH2

DSC_2015.JPG

which was complicated but a pleasure to build. Sadly it ended up being ruined by leaving it in a hot conservatory for too long where the heat melted the struts connecting the tail so it collapsed into itself :(

So I am now looking forward to building a somewhat simpler WnW kit :) Here is the sprue shot

DSC_0816.JPG

and a close up of the after-market I'm adding

DSC_0818.JPG

The Proper Plane prop is a beautiful piece of carved wood that superbly represents a WW1 wooden prop. You can get them from their website http://properplane.com/

Finally, I picked up the AK Interactive paint set for RFC colours

DSC_0821.JPG

Work will begin soon... :)

• Like 8

We can't have enough WNW build in this GB and it looks you have some nice stuff for detailing your kit. And the Proper Plane propeller are little master pieces by them self and will surely enhance your model.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Managed to get some work done today, starting on the cockpit. Lots of nice detail with decals and a careful paint job using Mr Color Brass, copper and aluminium along with other Tamiya colours

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0825.JPG

I've added some weathering washes already and need to do a little more with the silver lever control in the side panel to make it look better. There is a PE replacement but I'm in two minds whether to use it as the kit part is more 3 dimensional.

The next bit was the seat and fuel tank which have been assembled but not painted yet as the plastic cast wicker seat from the kit has been replaced with a PE part, which involved cutting the top frame away from the wicker seat back

DSC_0823.JPG

DSC_0824.JPG

Thats as far as I got today, was really nice to get back to doing some modelling after all these weeks of packing, moving house and unpacking!

• Like 2

That's a nice DH2. What markings are you going for? I did Arthur Brown's 209 Sqn in the RAF centenary GB, first of a few WnW's kits I have.

Good going so far.

Davey.

Yup thats the one I'm intending, love the red nose :)

You can see my DH2 build here, I'd forgotten that it won the 100th anniversary of WW1 GB back in 2014, its a shame I managed to ruin it with my carelessness :(

Edited by Kallisti

• 2 weeks later...

An update after the weekend... The cockpit has been installed into the fuselage halves and this has been closed up

DSC_0836.JPG

I didn't bother with the control pedal rigging wires as you can barely see them, but I did include them on the side panels as you can see int he next two pics

DSC_0837.JPG

DSC_0838.JPG

It was a bit of a tight fit as these kits are so well engineered with fine tolerances, so I must have not quite assembled the cockpit frame exact enough as the fuselage halves needed some serious clamping as well as filler, which is pretty much unheard of with WnW kits! You can see the filler on the underside here

DSC_0839.JPG

The guns have been painted and mounted, although I think they need to be a darker gun metal colour as these look too shiny

DSC_0840.JPG

I've also started painting the wings. First I lightened the PC10 colour supplied int eh AK Interactive set and gave the wings an initial light coat and then masked the runner strips ready to paint the darker PC10 on the intervening material

DSC_0843.JPG

I've also been busy drilling holes for rigging later...

• Like 6

Got some painting done as things progress, first the fuselage:

DSC_0851.JPG

This was painted with AK Interactive PC10 which to me looks pretty much like Olive Drab along with Tamiya XF-68 and XF-7. I've allowed the paint to cover the gun as I'm repainting them anyway as the gun metal looked too silver and needed to be more black. The upper wing has had its top surface painted with PC10 again, with a paler base coat which I masked with 2mm masking tape as shown above.

DSC_0857.JPG

I had initially done this on both sides before realising that the lower surface was clear dope, so I've repainted this with Tamoiya XF-55 Deck tan, lightened with some white as it looked too grey intially

DSC_0852.JPG

The same has been done for the lower wing too:

DSC_0856.JPG

DSC_0854.JPG

The elevators int he tail have also had their lower surfaces painted in this colour:

DSC_0853.JPG

The upper surface will be repainted in red and white. Work has also begun on the wheels and undercarriage but I haven't photographed them yet.

• Like 3

Thanks, it was initially done by accident on the first coat of paint, but when it came to give it a second coat I deliberately tried to keep some variation rather than make it too uniform as I thought it looked a bit more interesting.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1