Hi all - go easy on me...

hammett98

Hi all,

First time modeller at the young age of 39. Have a vague memory of building an airfix bi-plane kit at a very young age and failing miserably, despite parental assistance (or maybe because of...)

I would like to announce now that I have zero skill, knowledge or capabilities in this endeavor, however I have been reading everything I can on this forum and decided to sign up. I would like to say that I'll contribute as an active member, however it will probably only be as a source of amusement to you all as you watch me slap glue and paint over styrene parts ala "can you tell what it is yet?" (Did you ever watch the Simpsons episode where Homer builds a doghouse....?)

So, despite what my wife calls a "mid-life crisis moment", onwards and upwards I say.

Simon

• Like 11

Hello Simon ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Remember we were all in the same spot once upon a time with a new kit for our first time. You build your model either in private or in a W.I.P. we are here to offer help, advice, and encouragement as needed. Just remember one important rule. Build only for yourself no one else. Don't try to build to impress the forum. You’ll be a much happier modeler in the end. And less likely to walk away from a rewarding hobby out of frustration.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Hi Simon ! , don`t worry about it , your skill and knowledge will increase with each model that you build . You`re not even half

my age , so you`ve plenty of leeway yet .

Don .

• Like 1

Welcome Simon

I've only been here a couple of months after getting back into the hobby and there are some friendly people on site who can usually give you a pointer in the right direction

Don't be put off by your skill level as it will improve as you go along, just take your time and don't rush

Above all enjoy what you are doing :)

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I think the most important thing in modelling is amusement. Even the most experienced and challenging modellers build models because it brings something positive out of them. I'm new on this site even if I've been doing models for a few years now, There are very talented and skilled people here, so welcome !

• Like 2

Just getting back into it myself Simon. So much has changed since my last kit. But we do this for fun and enjoyment of it. I am sure my might efforts will be questionable at best. 

Simon welcome to the new-be world of modelling. I'm seeing more and more of us here amongst the professionals. Just take your time, read a lot of posts and watch some youtube videos. 

Don't be afraid to show your work, the good people here will give you some help along the way. I myself learnt scribing today. Took four sides of a wing to get it right. Now I can move on 

to the next challenge.  Even though I have done modelling on and off all my life, I'm new to the technics they use today which is like starting again. 

By the way beware of the kit collection bug. That really is something that will turn your wife off the hobby. 

So I say, take your time, enjoying the learning, take in what others tell you and you will have a great hobby. 

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

By the way beware of the kit collection bug. That really is something that will turn your wife off the hobby. 

Ah. Well that little bug is well and truly settled in my house. More kits than my wife's handbag collection. 🤔

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Simon welcome to the new-be world of modelling. I'm seeing more and more of us here amongst the professionals. Just take your time, read a lot of posts and watch some youtube videos. 

Don't be afraid to show your work, the good people here will give you some help along the way. I myself learnt scribing today. Took four sides of a wing to get it right. Now I can move on 

to the next challenge.  Even though I have done modelling on and off all my life, I'm new to the technics they use today which is like starting again. 

So I say, take your time, enjoying the learning, take in what others tell you and you will have a great hobby. 

Second that, don’t (even tho you may definitely want to) collect kits. Your next project maybe a year away!

Nice to meet all of you. I'm sorry to say that I haven't even painted a kit yet and already have another 3 stashed away! I've hidden them in the garage cos my wife never goes in there! 🙂

Looking forward to seeing all your builds in the WIP forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. They're a great bunch.

Don't worry about your skill level. No one can butcher styrene better than me. I started building kits in the mid-60's and still can't do it right. I recently ( January ) started building an Airfix rag-wing Hurricane with the intention of actually finishing something. I brazenly posted it here. I also did my first ever attempt at adding clear wingtip lights to a model. That came out way better than I thought it would. Anything that I am unsure of, I ask here and there are always most helpful replies. Do not be afraid to ask.

Chris

3 hours ago, hammett98 said:

I've hidden them in the garage cos my wife never goes in there! 🙂

Helpful hint if storing in the garage. Take the decals/stickers out of the box and put them in a plastic sandwich baggie or plastic sleeve. Then store them somewhere dry and not to hot. The decals can be damaged/ruined by humid or warmer environments. 

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Helpful hint if storing in the garage. Take the decals/stickers out of the box and put them in a plastic sandwich baggie or plastic sleeve. Then store them somewhere dry and not to hot. The decals can be damaged/ruined by humid or warmer environments. 

Thanks for the tip - didn't think about that!

On 03/08/2018 at 15:24, hammett98 said:

So, despite what my wife calls a "mid-life crisis moment", onwards and upwards I say.

Welcome to Britmodeller Simon.

Even if it is a mid-life thing (as mine probably was) it could have been much worse. A bloke I know spent many thousands on a huge motorbike and rides around looking like a large leather clad plonker and an ex-colleague has spend about five grand on photographic gear – but he's completely devoid of talent. In comparison, modelling seems like a good option.

If she comments pointedly at the number of kits you are buying, it's usual to bring shoe and handbag collections into the conversation.

As has been said, don't worry about results, just enjoy yourself. Even if you find that modelling isn't for you, this is still a great place for a Ba 349, sorry I mean a natter.

Gorby

• Like 2

Hi Gorby

Thankfully I am enjoying it despite some dubious early results! (hey, at least I haven't glued it to my hand yet!). The P-40 I'm building really doesn't seem to fit as well (for me) as others have said and I've had to do a lot of sanding on it and am now struggling to rescribe panel lines. The nose section is in several pieces and just really doesn't seem to line up. Create a nice circle at the front for the nose cone and the panel doesnt sit straight across the top of the fuselage. It also sits forward so creates a step over the front. I'm not expecting my first kit to be a work of art but was hoping for a half decent effort with the opportunity to learn along the way. Now if only you guys didn't make this look so easy.... 🤔

I'm joining in the P-51d group build and have seen the instructions on the Airfix website which shows the fuselage/cockpit fitting together in a much more logical way. Hopefully will have less of struggle with that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blanco77 said:

Thanks for having me as well! No need to say hi and welcome, I am 100% sure you are nice people 

Hiya Blanco - 100% nice? Its like you know you me already 😋

Looking forward to seeing your builds on here

12 hours ago, hammett98 said:

Hiya Blanco - 100% nice? Its like you know you me already 😋

Looking forward to seeing your builds on here

Thanks very much. Working on Von Werra's Me109 and a AV9 Harrier at present. The 109 is tiny in comparison if you put them together. It must have been super twitchy to fly! Off topic, sorry bout that. Hello again and thanks. If you need a break to keep cool check out "The One that Got Away"  Franz Von Werra's extraordinary true life events. I cannot recommend that film enough. Cheers

Welcome Simon!

I wasn’t being involved in modelling more than 15 years, so it’s not a problem to start because it’s never too late 😉

As the other modellers said above, here you can find all the answers and very friendly people, friends! Looking forward for your future builds here 🤝

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 11:51 PM, blanco77 said:

Thanks very much. Working on Von Werra's Me109 and a AV9 Harrier at present. The 109 is tiny in comparison if you put them together. It must have been super twitchy to fly! Off topic, sorry bout that. Hello again and thanks. If you need a break to keep cool check out "The One that Got Away"  Franz Von Werra's extraordinary true life events. I cannot recommend that film enough. Cheers

sounds interesting - are you planning to share pictures of your builds in the WIP?

Firstly Welcome ... I am a 3 model newbie here, I spend more time reading the WIP threads  and watching you tube vids picking up hints and tips instead of modelling ... therefore I already have a 10 model stash LOL.

On 03/08/2018 at 15:24, hammett98 said:

You are too young for the mid-life crisis - i have had several 'trips to the younger me' since I was 39  , though glue sniffing .. oops modelling started again last year at 50 - though I should be building 1/24 scale  instead of 1/72 ! - I might be able to see the small parts without a magnifying glass 

• Like 1