Dieppe Raid Churchill with bailing crew

This is the Dragon 1/72 Dieppe Churchill Mk.III kit with AB figures for the crew. The model is based on a photo of the tank, "Blossom" abandoned on the beach after the failed Operation Jubilee.

The black line around the turret represents waterproof sealant that held a now ripped off waterproof canvas shield. Tattered remnants of this and the scraps of canvas on the glacis of the tank were made from zinc foil. The chespaling in front of the left-side track was made from thin dried twigs and lead wire. The real tank was driving on this and slipped off leading to chert (the type beach gravel) jam and break the right-side track. "Blossom fought on until running out of ammo and being abandoned by her crew.

The project was spread over five days, and my build log can be found on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale forum:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/dieppe-raid-churchill-t316010.html

file.php?id=6956&t=1

file.php?id=6957&t=1

file.php?id=6958&t=1

file.php?id=6959&t=1

file.php?id=6960&t=1

file.php?id=6961&t=1

file.php?id=6962&t=1

file.php?id=6963&t=1

file.php?id=6964&t=1

file.php?id=6969&t=1

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Update image
  • Like 40

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SpaghettiFighter said:

I am doing a 1/72 dieppe raid churchill as well, were the exaust pipes included in the kit or did you build them yourself?

The pipes came with the kit, but I replaced the over-scale connecting tie with one I made from brass sheet.

What a cracking model,..... I love how you have replicated the Bostick of the waterproofing too,...... a really outstanding model.

Cheers

Tony 

47 minutes ago, tonyot said:

What a cracking model,..... I love how you have replicated the Bostick of the waterproofing too,...... a really outstanding model.

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony,

I just used some thick Mr Surfacer and painted it a rubbery black.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, and I like the pebble beach effect.

I once stood on Dieppe beach, as part of a military 'battlefield study', very close to where this Churchill must have been abandoned. It is astonishing, given Dieppe's topography, shingle beach and pre-war holiday popularity (and hence local knowledge) that the attack plan was ever approved. 

Dunno how I missed this one. Superb little diorama, especially at that scale.

I do query your use of 'zinc foil' though. Can you explain why you used zinc foil instead of aluminium foil?

Rearguards,

Badder

4 hours ago, Badder said:

Dunno how I missed this one. Superb little diorama, especially at that scale.

I do query your use of 'zinc foil' though. Can you explain why you used zinc foil instead of aluminium foil?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks, Badder,

Glad you liked it. I used zinc foil because I had it to hand and it's quite thin, very soft, and malleable, Aluminium foil is thinner but more crinkly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...