Science Museum Hurricane: Finished in 4 days!

My build of the Udet 109 V4 has stalled temporarily while I wrestle with various scribers so a quickie to keep things moving. Inspired by @dogsbodys build and this link therein, decided to whack out something quick and try some AML camo masks that have been lying around for a couple of years. Nothing fancy here, just some Eduard belts and see how quickly I can get a model up on the shelf. Wheels will be up and I'll be using one of my twee magnet/acrylic stands  so here we go:

boxsprues.jpg

Cockpit tarted up with Eduard belts and colours through guesswork, its a closed canopy (which in true Airfix fashion, is pretty full of moulding flaws anyway) so accuracy not paramount. 

pit1.jpg

pit2.jpg

While I was there, added wing tip lights from coloured acrylic, sanded the leading edge lights flush and filled in the spurious fabric behind the gun access panels- fast drying odourless cyano and Mr Surfacer 500 kept things moving quickly

Nice thing about Mr Color and Alcald, is its near instantaneous drying hence the speed in doing the pit. Everything zipped up and ready for some primer action after a mere few hours work. Might even sneak it in later today. if I can avoid the Aperol Spritz Siren....mmmm 31 centigrade...

closedup.jpg

• Like 6

Wow! Your speed is like lightning compared to my geologic rate. I'll be watching this build.

Glad I could be an inspiration. Usually, I'm set as a bad example.

Chris

• Like 1

Well @dogsbody, the speed gods have taken a liking to me, by dint of rapidly drying cyano et al, I primed her 1.5 hours ago

primered.jpg

Hard as a rock in 20 minutes due to the 32°C in my paint room, so on with the Mr Color Sky;

skyunder.jpg

Again dried rock hard in 20 mins so quick underside mask and hit her withe dark earth- no pre-shading as per my filthy 109E, the Science museum bird is paint shop fresh so I'm going for that look (but might add some rusty bits underneath as per the photos). The  dark earth was drizabone in....20 minutes. So out with the AML masks;

amlmask.jpg

These are great, they're made from the same Oracal 810 I got for use with my Cricut and they conformed beautifully and stuck down beautifully first time. She's received the dark green and I'll peel and post in an hour or so. My, this is like  a mini blitzbuild, I could get to like this!

masked.jpg

• Like 5

Un-masked and effortlessly excellent: These AML masks saved me a few hours of tedious masking. This is the best paint job I've done to date, no over spray requiring touch ups etc. I'm sufficiently taken with these to give the Top Notch masks from @Sean_M a go for a some more quick builds.

camo.jpg

Gloss coated and waiting for decals now.

• Like 3

Naturally my Gunze Super Clear UV cut gloss dried in the requisite 20 minutes so decalling was swift before the afternoon torpor set in and sundowners were poured.Lovely thing about the Airfix gift set kits, no stencils!! Decalled up and tomorrow is matt coat, final assembly and making of suitable stand.  Looks like I'll complete this tomorrow, three days from start to finish...food for thought as the  stash grows.  My Mojo, she say yes!!

decalled.jpg

Only tedious bit was laboriously cutting the decal film between each letter as the whole code was a block with the roundel:  Ample opportunity for silvering. I have plenty of more correctly sized codez ( the Airfix interpretation is a bit bogus in terms of size & placement) but decided as I have over half a dozen of these, just to stay OOB on principle...the wisdom of @dancho  prevailed and said " "yutz about not young Jedi, finish quickly you must" .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rio said:

Love the aml masks. Can be used a couple of times if careful.

Rio

Yes indeed or many more times if one was unscrupulous  and in possession of a cutter, some Oracal 810 and assorted drawing & scanning software....mwahhahhah :bandit:

cricutandaml.jpg

• Like 1

It takes a lot to design accurate masks and costs a bunch to get artwork done. I know a bunch of people who get home cutters and I am happy to help. Please respect copyright. There is no such thing as for "home use" 

On 8/4/2018 at 8:52 PM, Sean_M said:

It takes a lot to design accurate masks and costs a bunch to get artwork done. I know a bunch of people who get home cutters and I am happy to help. Please respect copyright. There is no such thing as for "home use" 

Deleted my original reply

Edited by azureglo

And today's update: nearly done...some beauty shots.

top.jpg

Unmask the leading edge lights fool!

fronton.jpg

under2.jpg

under1.jpg

stbd.jpg

Just the hokey aerial as per the Science Museum display, then the  pitot, armoured glass windscreen and tail-wheel she'll be in the RFI tomorrow

• Like 7

And true to my word, we're done!

Aerial and bits on, a victory wing waggle over the cutting mat

doneport.jpg

My little armoured glass trick worked again. Pleased with the leading edge lights, faired in with odorless cyano and then micromeshed.

donefront.jpg

The Allies shelf is a little less lonely now. Note jaunty angle of stand , achieved by lack of concentration while using pillar drill.

detolfed.jpg

Tomorrow sees the RFI beauty shots but feeling well pleased with this: I opened the box last Friday morning and four days later I have a presentable model, just shows we can turn 'em out quickly if we want. Now back to my languishing V14, I've sorted my collection of scribers and am feeling energised. Me thinks the stash growth trend may get checked in 2018...Thanks for watching, now get out to your sheds/caves and build! Build for the night cometh wherein no rivet counter may sniff the Tamiya Extra Thin!!

• Like 4

Wow! And I'm still no farther ahead on mi Hurc. Since I lost the carb intake to the Concrete Critter, my enthusiasm has dropped off quite a bit. Me and the missus are heading south to Edmonton later this week so I'll see if I can get to a hobby shop or three and find another kit, maybe two kits.

Chris

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, dogsbody said:

Wow! And I'm still no farther ahead on mi Hurc. Since I lost the carb intake to the Concrete Critter, my enthusiasm has dropped off quite a bit. Me and the missus are heading south to Edmonton later this week so I'll see if I can get to a hobby shop or three and find another kit, maybe two kits.

Chris

Hey Chris, the important thing is to finish something, just grab the next one  inthe pile and bolt it together.

I find the more I build the easier it is for certain things to be become learned as opposed to reloading them from memory. For instance I airbrushed the camo in half a day, and remembered that paint bubbling in my H&S Infinity usually means loose air cap/dead seal- fixed in 5 mins as opposed to why is it doing that. Thats cause it happened a week before and I found the fix,

Similarly, doing the aerial with Uschi stretch rigging was still fresh in my mind from the 109 the previous week and I whizzed through, superglue , accelerator  and micro tweezers, all in 5 minutes before lunch. Practice makes perfect! .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...