Oyster Regatta The Race has Finished

• 2 weeks later...

After much experimenting progress has been made

First off I needed some small rigging eyes. Wire o.09mm wrapped around 0.3mm wire top, bottom 0.2mm wire.

P1090125 (Copy)

Lesson learnt. Attach as much as the rigging as possible off the model

P1090127 (Copy)

and

P1090129 (Copy)

Paint looks a bit rough at this mag but when its all done you'll not get this close 😉

Mk1

P1090080 (Copy)

Mk2

P1090116 (Copy)

Mk3

P1090131 (Copy)e

P1090130 (Copy) e

Happy Days! Only 4 2 more to do

To add to my high at the local model show yesterday my sailing lugger and Clyde Puffer both won gold. Well chuffed.

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

PS Thanks to seadog for his suggestion to go fly tying thread. Sheer 14/0 grey used above

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 14

That looks great Kev!

Fly tying thread is great, I use Uni-Caenis thread and got it from the Glasgow Angling Centre, but cannot find it there now. It is VERY difficult to see when working with it, but it is wonderful to use.

Well done on your lugger and Puffer winning gold, very worthy winners, Congratulations!

Ray

• Thanks 1

Great news on both of your winners they do stand out from the crowd  👍🏻

The rigging on this little one looks great even if I do need an extra strength magnifying glass to see it. :hypnotised:

beefy 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

The rigging on this little one looks great even if I do need an extra strength magnifying glass to see it

I confess it's the first time I've had to use the Optivisor :hypnotised:

now all I need is a way of overcoming the involuntary tremor I have in my left hand. Not helpful when rigging :banghead:

Got a question the  learned Gentlemen you lot can answer as well. What have you found to be the best tool for snipping off excess thread.

Thanks again for al your support and encouragement. I hold you responsible for …….

Kev

17 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Thanks Guys

now all I need is a way of overcoming the involuntary tremor I have in my left hand. Not helpful when rigging :banghead:

Got a question the  learned Gentlemen you lot can answer as well. What have you found to be the best tool for snipping off excess thread.

Thanks again for al your support and encouragement. I hold you responsible for …….

Kev

I know all about the tremor Kev! Both my hands shake, in time with my heartbeat - which is erratic at the best of times!

I use a fresh razor blade to trim my rigging lines, it works well for me, but I need to be careful it does not cut into the spar.

Hope that helps,

Ray vonshakealot

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thanks Guys

Kev

In a misguided interest in flytying, some years ago I bought a cool little snip - looks like a fingernail clipper but with a straight blade. Here's a similar item. Also works for trimming treenails.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:00, Hewy said:

You'll be doing models that fit on the end of a match head next

Where can I buy match heads at least 25mm square?? 😉

A few pics to show progress being made x 4

Main & topsail traced and coloured. Tried to show canvas panels without going over the top

P1090132 (Copy)

P1090133 (Copy)

Staysail & jib setting in luff lines. PE bender used to fold edge over

P1090134 (Copy)

and line glued under flap

P1090135 (Copy)

Mainsail & shrouds rigged

P1090139 (Copy)

Starting to lay the fleet out ...

P1090142 (Copy)

Will finish with the same box frame as used before

P1090143 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking cool Kev. Being a layman on regattas, if was on one of boats, I'd be throwing a few expletives..:swear:

6 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Time to start thinking of the next project …..

...what about jumping back onto the Fairmaile, MGB or Vosper...just sayin'

Stuart 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Courageous said:

, if was on one of boats, I'd be throwing a few expletives

That's racing for you, bear in mind these boats weigh in at 10 tons. Back in the day when men were made of steel and the boats were made of wood. (The sails are portrayed as canvas , so were talking say pre 60's. The seams would be different with synthetic materials.)

23 minutes ago, Courageous said:

what about jumping back onto the Fairmaile, MGB or Vosper...just sayin'

The Fairmile D, MGB658 is high on the list. Good to hear what people would like to see

Kev

• Like 1

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

Plan coming together ...

Time to start thinking of the next project …..

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Hello Kev, how about a Thames Barge?, After all, you do have that book about spritsail barges of the Thames!

The regatta is looking great, and should look brilliant when in its display case.

Nice work,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Add extra text
  • Like 1