So it's you on the Jib sheet.

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

How many crew did you say you are putting in each boat 

I smell cricket match here :bangin:

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

you've probably seen this

:hmmm: I'm thinking you've opened a can  of worms there

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

What sort of paper are you using for the sails?

Currently using Layout Paper at 45gm/m2 It's the lightest paper I've been able to find. The article Rob razed above I see you can get aircraft tissue down to 10gm/m2.   A  guy at the club is a RC aero modeller I'll have a chat and see if he's got any bits.

Having said that the Layout paper seems to be matched with my capabilities at the moment.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm glad you like it I must admit I'm chuffed

Kev

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Layout paper has the advantage of being acid-free, so it should last a very long time and you can run it through a printer, at least it's OK through mine. If you CAREFULLY stretch it over a glass bowl when wet, it will take a slight compound curve - I use acrylic matt medium with a touch of yellow ochre which stiffens it up and colours it slightly as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seadog said:

Layout paper has the advantage of being acid-free, so it should last a very long time and you can run it through a printer, at least it's OK through mine. If you CAREFULLY stretch it over a glass bowl when wet, it will take a slight compound curve - I use acrylic matt medium with a touch of yellow ochre which stiffens it up and colours it slightly as well.

Thanks for the ideas Fraser

Interesting, I never thought to try it in the printer but then I'd have to get a drawing program. Does anyone know of a free drawing program that comes with instructions?

Probably asking for Moon Sticks lol

I guess you're using acrylic matt medium to impart strength and flexibility?

Are you using the medium to wet the paper before putting on/over bowl?

Kev

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thanks for the ideas Fraser

Interesting, I never thought to try it in the printer but then I'd have to get a drawing program. Does anyone know of a free drawing program that comes with instructions?

Probably asking for Moon Sticks lol

I guess you're using acrylic matt medium to impart strength and flexibility?

Are you using the medium to wet the paper before putting on/over bowl?

Kev

Inkscape. Very like Xara but free. Any of them take a bit of time to learn, but there are masses of tutorials. I use Xara and have done since it first appeared.

• Thanks 1

Cracking little boat you can just imagine the sound of the waves the smell of the salt sea and a few seagulls over head watching for the off casts of cleaned fish  🎣

Nice one Kev  👍

beefy

• Thanks 1

I have a question for the honourable Gentlemen (and you lot can answer 😉 )

It concerns the rigging. The thickness of which is 0.09mm approx. human hair size. The actual rigging being depicted is in life in the order of 20 - 30mm diameter,  0.06 - 0.08mm to scale. Everything sounds good.

Problem looking at the model and pictures the rigging seems to jump out no matter what colour I paint it. In the WIP I first posted the craft with only the bow sprit stay and it all looked ok, I've posted pics to compare also the original inspirational pic, When this is printed the boat in the foreground is slightly larger than mine and odd parts of the rigging are barely discernible !!

So the question is with or without the rigging???

P1090116 (Copy)

P1090118 (Copy)

9549880516_b1e3e741f4_b_Tim_Green-847x677

There is no right or wrong answer just your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Kev

• Like 3

Uschi Super fine .01mm or if you are on a path to Bedlam.....

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/infini-model/products/ir-7200b-infini-model-black-aero-rigging-super-fine-1-72-45m

Using Bob's Buckles

The rigging sets it off to being an even greater thing of beauty:clap2:

Rob

Bob Wilson uses wire, talks about it in his e-book (worth buying with your fondness for miniatures!) The scientific wire company has tinned copper and stainless wire in a vast range of sized. easy enough to paint dark. There's also something I use for fine rigging and that's fly-tying silks - synthetic mostly, these days. I have some black uni-thread, nearly invisible. http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/ There's also ceramic wire which comes from some chap in the US. The good thing about wire in small scale is that if you give it a slight stretch it straightens and stays straight, touch of glue at each end and you're away.

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Uschi Super fine .01mm or if you are on a path to Bedlam.....

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. I'll give the threads a go, I already have the Uschi super fine. There are two potential problems I see. These sails are minute and its going to be difficult to use elastic thread without pulling the sail out of shape. Secondly Black I tried black and it jumps out at me. When you think of scale colour black is going to be grey.

As to Bobs buckles I think you know where you can store them 😉 . I have the eyes and I can wind finer!

1 hour ago, seadog said:

Bob Wilson uses wire

Thanks for your input Fraser.  I use Bob Wilsons book as a reference and the rigging here is 0.09mm and it still looks to big. At the risk of committing sacrilege to the one problem with his boats is the black rigging.

Size matters your 'Peace is over 50' long this 28'.

1 hour ago, seadog said:

I fancy giving this a try but the link brings up several products, Could you please be more specific as to which you use.

Still open to all your thoughts out there

Kev

Update managed to find a grey indelible marker pen, this may give some more option

Edited by longshanks

My 2 cents regarding the rigging question Kev.   I'll ask what is most important to you - scale accuracy, or being able to see the rigging detail.   As you've pointed out making rigging in the same scale as the boat is very difficult.  Personally, I like being able to see the rigging detail, e.g. how the masts and sails are attached.  So, I'd suggest just going with the smallest thread/wire that is practical, and not worry too much about scale accuracy.  But that's just me.  It really comes down to what's important to you.

John

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

, Could you please be more specific as to which you use.

Uni-thread, black and grey. I'll try to measure it's thickness...when I'm actually awake! I have what is laughingly referred to as a 'Summer cold'. 

Unithread is 6 O denier, about what you're using. I have some Orvis 8 O and my vernier calipers read it a zero. Fly tying thread is available even thinner....I have wire down to .08mm - difficult to even feel at that size. drag it through some buff enamel and you have non-black rope. Mind you fly tying thread comes in every colour you can think of.

Thanks for the feed back, it looks like the Riggers have it

They will be a delay while I wait for new supplies to arrive and experiments to begin.

First uschi does not like to be put under mild tension so it can be painted before fitting. Oil and Acrylic tried, as soon as tension released it curls 😞

Just to prove there has been some progress

P1090121 (Copy)

Kev

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...