Oyster Regatta The Race has Finished

29 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Hello Kev, how about a Thames Barge?, After all, you do have that book about spritsail barges of the Thames!

Get thee behind me Satan :devil:

As you say I have the book(s) and plans and the intent but …………….

I'm thinking of a change of scene and scale but thanks for your input, it's definitely a tempting proposition. Time will tell

Kev

• Like 1

I had the same thoughts as Stuart - just about to round the windward mark!!:o

It's a lovely, lovely scene, beautifully executed.

And.................................................... my vote is a return to the Fairmile D. 

I'm getting lonely with the "B" and as you may have guessed from this morning's posting @ "WW2", I'm researching a "D" soon to be appearing near you soon:hmmm:

Rob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello Kev, how about a Thames Barge?, After all, you do have that book about spritsail barges of the Thames!

That sounds an excellent plan and has this alien's seal of approval even before Kev starts!  On your marks Kev, ready, steady, build!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Perhaps I'll try a plane   :pilot:

Kev

Now, now - don't be peevish..........

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044347-fairey-firefly-u-mk8-llanbedr-drone/

Think how much work you've already done on that poor abandoned "D".  I'll get all teary:blahblahblah:

Rob

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Oh dear 50/50 Fairmile/Barge

Perhaps I'll try a plane   :pilot:

Kev

Would my vote for the return of the D sway it the correct way  :hmmm:

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Would my vote for the return of the D sway it the correct way  :hmmm:

beefy

I should have thought that, with Kev's abilities, it would not be too much for us to expect the D boat getting finished, the Barge getting built and an aeroplane build into the bargain.

Reasonable of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I should have thought that, with Kev's abilities, it would not be too much for us to expect the D boat getting finished, the Barge getting built and an aeroplane build into the bargain.

Reasonable of Mars 👽

Dear Reasonable, I have given much thought to your cunning plan and decided it's flawed. :nodding:

Unlike your good alien self I have only one pair of hands :shrug:

In light of this the Fairmile D wins by 31/2 to 2 (The half comes from Martian listing the D first above, an obvious psychological pointer)

I've made a start on binning the photobucket pics which appear when they want.  120 pics so far and I've completed upto page 4, 28 pages to go.

Tis a bitter sweet job bringing back loads of memories including @Gremlin56. Gone but not forgotten, hope you're watching and approve.

On the regatta the box frame is nearing completion and I hope to be posting the final pics soon.

Kev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Dear Reasonable, I have given much thought to your cunning plan and decided it's flawed. :nodding:

Unlike your good alien self I have only one pair of hands :shrug:

In light of this the Fairmile D wins by 31/2 to 2 (The half comes from Martian listing the D first above, an obvious psychological pointer)

I've made a start on binning the photobucket pics which appear when they want.  120 pics so far and I've completed upto page 4, 28 pages to go.

Tis a bitter sweet job bringing back loads of memories including @Gremlin56. Gone but not forgotten, hope you're watching and approve.

On the regatta the box frame is nearing completion and I hope to be posting the final pics soon.

Kev

Kev, the Fairmile D is a worthy winner,

Cheers,

Ray.

PS, Did the book you showed about the Thames Barges have plans in? If so, I will try and get a copy and will take on the Barge when I have finished the wherry.

Cheers,

Ray wotisnotadevilreally

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

Did the book you showed about the Thames Barges have plans in? If so, I will try and get a copy and will take on the Barge when I have finished the wherry.

Hi Ray Soon as I get chance I'll sort details and get back to you.

Any idea what scale you want to build to

Kev

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, longshanks said:

Hi Ray Soon as I get chance I'll sort details and get back to you.

Any idea what scale you want to build to

Kev

Hi Kev, no hurry! I am going to check out Abe Books for the book and see if it has plans. I was thinking of doing it 1/72 scale as a comparison to the wherry (if it is not too big!). Hopefully I will have learnt from my mistakes too...

All the best,

Ray

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:36, Ray S said:

PS, Did the book you showed about the Thames Barges have plans in? If so, I will try and get a copy and will take on the Barge when I have finished the wherry.

Morning Ray

I have two books on Thames Barges

Spritsail Barges of the Thames and Medway by Edgar J March

This as you would expect from this author is probably the definitive work. There are  numerous drawings/sketches as to construction and detail. In the back are 5 plans of the barge Kathleen. Chapter 12 How to make miniature models.

I will try and PM copies  of these to you for copyright issues. By my calculations the 82.8 ft hull at 1/72 will be 372mm (14.6"). The overall length at 1/72 495mm (19.5"). Height 384mm (15").

The hull plan in the book requires an enlargement of 271% and will need to be printed on A3 paper. I've done it on my machine an have got acceptable results for producing a hull.. Though for detail I would enlarge to half that size and remember all measurements taken off to be doubled.

expect to pay around £20

Next

Modelling Thames Sailing Barges by Ewart C Freeston & Bernard Kent.

A lovely book with lots of detailed drawings suitable for the modeller currently at £25 second hand which I feel is a bit steep. Sure I only paid £10 for my copy. Keep an eye ope at intervals and also look to Amazon & ebay. Good though Abe books are I have found stuff cheaper.

HTH

Kev

• Like 1