Bare Metal Hungarian BF-109G-10?

barneybolac

It's tosh, there are other photos of Black 15 at Neubeiburg when JG52 flew in, some in Hungarian planes.

Quite a few photos are bleached out and the planes look very light. Yet another poor profile.

Note you can see the camoflage on the wings of Black 15, or fekete 15 if you wish (fekete is black in Hungarian)

Note the nose in the foreground, and the hangars in the background,  this nose band position and the hangar in the background, is suspect this maybe black 15

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10U4-Erla-RHAF-Blac

There are some more photos from Neubiberg here

It's a link to a Flickr album, note this chap has been compiling Bf109 photos, and there are 100's in various albums

I have seen more photos from the surrender, as this was a popular thing to have your photo taken with for Americans.

HTH

T

• Like 1

IMHO the photo is simply over-exposed which has washed-out the fuselage finish. It seems obvious there is darker paint on top of the cowl at least, as well as on the wings.

For whatever indirect evidence may be worth, the excellent JaPo book, “Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U4 Production & Operational Service” is a superb reference devoted to Diana-built G-10’s. It contains many photos of aircraft with later serials that have the normal camouflage applied at that facility, but none in bare metal. 

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDriskill said:

IMHO the photo is simply over-exposed which has washed-out the fuselage finish. It seems obvious there is darker paint on top of the cowl at least, as well as on the wings.

For whatever indirect evidence may be worth, the excellent JaPo book, “Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U4 Production & Operational Service” is a superb reference devoted to Diana-built G-10’s. It contains many photos of aircraft with later serials that have the normal camouflage applied at that facility, but none in bare metal. 

Page 70 of the JaPo book has a photo which says the photographer was standing on the wing of black 15, which is the same as the image I posted above (I just got the book out)

There are more images of Black 15 in the book.

1 hour ago, larumivi1951 said:

Here a profile made by Claes Sundin:

Messerschmitt%20Bf%20109G-10%20%20sort%2

Rudolph

Note, the yellow band does not go under the nose, but the rest looks believable.

• Like 1

I just discovered the same thing...shoulda finished looking at my JaPo book before my first post, LOL!

The photo of "Black 15" in the book is a more widely-cropped version of the same one Troy posted above, The top of the fuselage is visible all the way to the back of the cockpit opening, and you can clearly see the fuselage is fully painted.

The paint on Diana-built G-10's was typically of rather poor quality; JaPo speculates some or all of the work was done outdoors. The colors tend to look thin, pale, and rather roughly applied. Black 15 is a great example, it was accepted into service on May 2, 1945 - just a few days prior to the end of the war - yet looks rather weary in the photos.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1