1:72 Trumpeter FW200 Condor into civilian airliner

HP42

I need a quick set of answers really, I have a Trumpeter Condor going cheap and want to make it into a 1930s airliner. What would be required? I think the props need to become 2 bladed rather than 3. Lose the turrets and ventral cupola. I also need decals (any suggestions?). That aside, is it a viable proposition? 

Edited by HP42
Added scale and manufacturer

Without ready access to my meagre references I’m a bit short on detail but the engines and cowlings were different, as was the main undercarriage.  Depending on which particular Condor you wish to depict you’re also going to have to cut out a few more cabin windows.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure others will chip in soon, but I think the main wheels differ - single as opposed to double and this one I’m not sure about but the line of thrust for the engines also differs.

Lufthansa Condor

https://goo.gl/images/9rhAh9

and a Luftwaffe one

https://goo.gl/images/9MSDi1

Looking at the photos, the front cowling shape may also require attention.

HTH

Trevor

• Thanks 1

What they said, plus the pre-war civilian aircraft had two-bladed props rather than the three-bladed version on the military aircraft. I believe that some late war/post war conversions to civilian retained the three-bladers.

• Thanks 1

You could do a Russian aircraft like the CCCP-H401, this was a military bomber version  that was converted into a passenger aircraft by Lufthansa in the war.

The Russians got hold of this aircraft and used it for polar flights after the war!

Printscale does a set for it: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/focke-wulf-fw-200-condor-part-3-trainer-transport-and-special-duties-prs72-250-print-scale-prs72-250-vliegtuig-bouwmodel-transfers/product/?action=prodinfo&art=141637

If you like to do a normal original passenger aircraft you will be better off with a Revell passenger aircraft as the conversion is far to extensive as all former reactions show...

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Great comments chaps, very much appreciated.:thanks:

I think I'll hunt for a civilian Revell, I didn't realise they made such a beast. Sounds like a conversion would be a bit pointless if a dedicated kit is available. For anyone interested the military Condor is on sale in Wonderland Models Edinburgh for £20 reduced from £35. 

• Like 1

The civil tooling, although new, was much closer in style to the older military tooling. I think it was available in two boxings, one Lufthansa possibly with Danish option, and one South American.

Other modelling options include the military transport Fw200B, needing a somewhat lower level of difficulty for the conversion, and the proposed maritime patrol version for Japan.

If I remember correctly the Revell civil Condor was a much more refined kit than the Luftwaffe version. I built one years ago and I remember being surprised how good it was in comparison with the military one.  

HP42, I've got a civil one in the stash which isn't scheduled to be built until about 2057 at my current rate of progress so if you want to give it a home, pm me.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Ivor Ramsden said:

If I remember correctly the Revell civil Condor was a much more refined kit than the Luftwaffe version. I built one years ago and I remember being surprised how good it was in comparison with the military one. 

Yes, nothing like as good as the most recent military variants, with their comprehensive (or superfluous?) interior fitout, but generationally closer to them than the ancient Revell Condor: for starters it has fine engraved panel lines compared with the old kit's rhapsody in rivets.  Think it may date from the short sweet period when Revell also knocked out a number of pretty decent small 1/72 kits (Thunderbolt, Hurricane, Fw 190, etc).

Another option for a civil Condor is the ex-Danish one (OY-DAM) which fled to the UK and got repainted in BOAC camouflage markings as G-AGAY.  Later it was allotted an RAF serial (DX177) but I think it got written off (White Waltham, 12/7/41) before it could be marked up with it.  Certainly I've never seen a photo of it with an RAF serial.

Edited by Seahawk
Firming up of recollected details.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Orso said:

Building the civilian version from the new military kit would need lot of work. I wonder how much of the superior details would be left.

I've started a conversion in 1:48 (only just, and it hasn't gone very far very quickly). When I've got a bit more of substance done I'll start something in WIP.

The Revell civil Condor is nice clean easy to build kit and bears no resemblence to the 1960s military kit in terms of standard of moulding et al. I have not seen the later miltary boxing, no doubt it is an improvement as a moulded kit. But, I seriously doubt it is worth converting if one can get hold of the Civil kit. The civil kit has been OPP for a while but does pop up reasonably regulary. I personally prefer the second boxing with white styrene.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

The Revell condor c5/8 or the bomber version (same Mould) is very good indeed!

I think it has the bmw fafnir f8? (From memory) which is incorrect for the civil version.

the trumpy kit has issues around the tailplane (shape) but! AND ITS A BIG BUT!

i cannot verify the drawing I used to compare. The Revell fuselage was a good match to this drawing.

the trumpy kit does have good internal detail aft of the cockpit/engineer bay.

again a but! It is only of use if building a military version, with extra fuel cells.

think Atlantic or (maybe) Norway.

the ventral gondola is better in Revell.

what did I say in my assessment of the two kits? Trumpy copied a drawing

revell copied the airframe!

edit-

just found it!

post 12

Edited by It's a disease

• 2 weeks later...