A6M2 fabric control surfaces

MeneMene

I'm working on the 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2, doing a Battle of Midway aircraft from the Soryu. Going into it, I knew the fabric controls were a different color than the rest of the aircraft, and used Tamiya's IJA grey for a canvas-look. However, now near the end, I think the color I chose is too similar to the rest of the aircraft. Furthermore, I've seen several references that they should even be more of a barley grey as opposed to grey-green, and should stand out even more. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to go back with some masking and repaint them to be more grey? If so, does that include the rudder?

MADvK8X.jpg

XSQpHsH.jpg

Thanks

I like it as it is mate, my understanding is that the metal and fabric parts started out either actually or virtually identical in colour but the fabric dope was more susceptible to fading and becoming more Matt with exposure. So, if you want to repaint the control surfaces by all means do if you feel they would look better, but don't do it because you feel you need to, because you don't :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Agreed -- don't change it now, especially with the decals in place. As Stew D says above, it was largely a matter of the dope on the fabric fading differently from the paint on the airframe, rather than a different starting color. i think what you've got looks fine, FWIW.

2 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

Agreed -- don't change it now, especially with the decals in place. As Stew D says above, it was largely a matter of the dope on the fabric fading differently from the paint on the airframe, rather than a different starting color. i think what you've got looks fine, FWIW.

Thanks all. The tail markings are stencils that I can easily make another copy of, so repainting shouldn't be too difficult. I was mainly concerned with the accuracy, but if the consensus is that it's enough contrast then I will leave it.

10 hours ago, Seawinder said:

I also agree with SW- looks like a factory fresh airplane to me! BTW- very nice build!

Mike