This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

andyf117

A Pair of Lynx

As a break from my ongoing Sea King builds, and something of a mojo restorer following the 'great shelf disaster' which saw my entire collection of them either damaged or destroyed, I'll jump in on this GB with a couple more helicopters, namely these:

1001098819_o.jpg

1001098830_o.jpg

The bagged and mainly de-sprued blue kit appears to be an original issue of the Navy version, dating from 1976, as evidenced by the underside of the cockpit floor:

1001101404_o.jpg

The plan is to build that one as an HAS.2 finished using markings from Modeldecal Sheet 56, which was released in 1980.

The bagged grey kit is the much more recent HMA.8 boxing, this particular one being the 2005 re-box, acquired just a couple of weeks ago as part of a trade here on BM....

....I have a scheme in mind, but am still working on the markings for it....

Nice one Andy - I've never built a helicopter - I'll be looking in on what is likely to be something 'a bit different' - Good Luck - Steve :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard @andyf117 !

i was sorry to read about the shelf disaster on the wanted section ☹️

looking forward to these builds! 👍

That's interesting.  I always thought that the original 1976 moulding was based on the prototype with the 3 small cabin windows and that it was reworked to give the correct window at a later point.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That's interesting.  I always thought that the original 1976 moulding was based on the prototype with the 3 small cabin windows and that it was reworked to give the correct window at a later point.

That was the Matchbox one, updated for the subsequent release under the Revell label....

Excellent, Andy - now we have two more helicopters added to the range of kits being built. Good luck with the builds.

I've carried out some preliminary and preparation work to the two kits - and as most stuff will be the same for both, rather than duplicate photos I'll post pictures of one or the other, unless there are distinct differences.

The first area to be dealt with was the fuselage exterior, where the inserts to fill the Army version's skids recesses were fitted and the locating holes opened up for the sponsons, along with various other holes under the fuselage and tail boom. The Navy version's folding tail hinges and mechanism were fitted on each side, and the main remedial work has been done, namely altering the pre-production shape of the lower nose windows to the squarer version of the production machines. On this early version of the kit, it was also necessary to correct a moulding flaw at the rear of the port half's tailboom - in the first photo showing the parts, it can be seen where the extreme end of the tail rotor driveshaft housing has 'slipped'. I carefully cut out that section, and have re-fitted it with a sliver of sprue to fill and level off the angled gap underneath - once thoroughly set hard, the area will be tidied up. I have seen the same flaw on other examples, in both blue and grey plastic - but Airfix seemingly fixed it for the HMA.8 boxing.

1001195887_o.jpg

I have put together a few sub-assemblies as seen here - the underside panel in the nosecone, tail rotor and main rotor head, exhausts (and removed the moulding lugs from their housings), troop seats framing, and mounts for the pilots' seats. The cockpit is one area where there will be detail differences - in this case, I have filled the recesses for the control column and pedals on the lefthand side, as that will be, for this version at least, the Observer's position.

1001195883_o.jpg

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:07, andyf117 said:

That was the Matchbox one, updated for the subsequent release under the Revell label....

Thanks, I knew I'd built one at some point in the dim and distant past in that configuration.

I know you said you were doing the blue one as a HAS2, what variant are you doing with the grey?  Only reason I ask is that I see you've cleaned up the 6 man seat; don't forget that was out of service by about 1990/91 having been replaced with the inflatable 4 man seat.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I know you said you were doing the blue one as a HAS2, what variant are you doing with the grey?  Only reason I ask is that I see you've cleaned up the 6 man seat; don't forget that was out of service by about 1990/91 having been replaced with the inflatable 4 man seat.

The plan is to do a HAS.3 - really don't like the look of the HMA.8 with all that gubbins on the nose!

I know what you mean.  The HAS 2/3s look cleaner although I would have traded the looks for the 360 degree radar!

Not got much done on these for the last three weeks, as have been very busy with work - the perils of running a Guest House in a popular tourist area!

Anyway, following enquiries regarding the rear cabin seating arrangements, I've filled the locating holes for the fore-and-aft layout, and drilled new ones to install the seats across the cabin - visual evidence shows that's how they were fitted in my late-80s subject, and it appears the most likely for the early-80s one. The frame and canvas seats have been painted the same blue as used in my Sea Kings....

1003646435_o.jpg

Have been painting the rotor blades - main and tail - though the former were frustrating as I managed to drop two of the blue set whilst still wet and get them covered with not just carpet fibres but also cat hairs! No such problems with the grey ones - much easier to keep hold of when on the sprue...

1003646444_o.jpg

Will be applying sling bands using some thin yellow decal stripes, and finishing off the tail rotors with proper Signal Red over the base coat...

nice work! 👍

I built a few helios way back but don't think I ever did a lynx.

Sometimes even what appear to be simple things can take up an inordinate amount of time....

....take the sling bands on the Lynx main rotor blades. After some considerable time searching both in print and online, I couldn't find anything to actually tell me what their positioning was - so I then had to hunt down a photo that not only showed them clearly, but which was also a suitable angle to accurately measure their distances from root and tip....

....once I'd established those and marked the kit blades accordingly, 32 13mm lengths of yellow decal stripe were applied, after which the blades could be attached to the previously-assembled rotor heads:

1004051361_o.jpg

Nice work!! 👍

On 01/09/2018 at 18:10, andyf117 said:

Sometimes even what appear to be simple things can take up an inordinate amount of time....

....take the sling bands on the Lynx main rotor blades. After some considerable time searching both in print and online, I couldn't find anything to actually tell me what their positioning was - so I then had to hunt down a photo that not only showed them clearly, but which was also a suitable angle to accurately measure their distances from root and tip....

....once I'd established those and marked the kit blades accordingly, 32 13mm lengths of yellow decal stripe were applied, after which the blades could be attached to the previously-assembled rotor heads:

Those rotor blades are looking the business so hopefully the rest of the Lynx's are following on! Looking forward to it. All the best, Mike.

Those decal stripes are the very dab, they look great. I tried using painted tape for my Dinah window frames and didn't do anywhere near as neat a job. 

Andy

The bad news is, I'm afraid, that I've not progressed any further with these two Lynx, which have now been put back into their box - sorry...

....the better news is that a large part of the exercise was to restore my mojo - I've now managed to repair the three damaged RN Sea Kings:

1007283125_o.jpg

And heartened by those successes, I've since dismantled and stripped the badly-damaged German Mk.41 and Belgian Mk.48 ready for complete re-builds...

Sad to hear that @andyf117 but happy news that 3 of the sea kings are back to their former glory and 2 more are on the way! 👍