Japanese surrender aircraft photo collection

72modeler

While looking for B5N2 Kate photos, I found this amazing collection of photos of Japanese surrender delegation aircraft as they flew to and landed at Ie Shima. I don't think these have been posted before- if so, I apologize! I can only imagine what the Japanese flight crews must have thought as they were surrounded by their former enemies. Some interesting and unusual model projects here! Enjoy!

Mike

https://www.meetup.com/aviation-76/messages/71403212/?_cookie-check=-q69SylJtvyF5VKk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

On 8/3/2018 at 4:01 AM, 72modeler said:

While looking for B5N2 Kate photos, I found this amazing collection of photos of Japanese surrender delegation aircraft as they flew to and landed at Ie Shima. I don't think these have been posted before- if so, I apologize! I can only imagine what the Japanese flight crews must have thought as they were surrounded by their former enemies. Some interesting and unusual model projects here! Enjoy!

Mike

https://www.meetup.com/aviation-76/messages/71403212/?_cookie-check=-q69SylJtvyF5VKk

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting.

The A6M3 acquired by the RNZAF, mentioned in the script,  survived the post war era as an Instructional

Airframe in the RNZAF (we had a Me 109E too but sadly.............)

The A6M now resides in the Auckland War Memorial Museum as in my photo below - I can't/won't

vouch for the accuracy or authenticity of the paint scheme ( the colours just don't look right......

The rivets are too pronounced , scale thickness is wrong, there must a a book or online expert who can give

their opinion on it :lol:)

ba93bc55-7f25-41d9-9cc1-eaeff82d49db.JPG

The Aichi Jake float plane also mentioned in the script, is apparently still at the bottom of the lagoon:unsure:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I have an American Aircraft mag from the 1990s ,there is an article in it about these aircraft .One of the Americans present knocked one of the small windows out as a keep sake .

I forget exactly what happens next ,he either gave it to some one and they used it to make the windows of a scratch built Betty or he did it himself .

I will dig the mag out and check .