1/72nd Supermarine Spitfire MkIa

With a sum total of 28 parts, this little kit isn't exactly taxing. My kit, purchased in its slimline box in the 1990s, has 1980 inside the fuselage - though I think the original kit dates from 1978 or 1979. By the looks of things, this copy's moulds had been modified for snap-fit.

43805486211_9477f75a3d_b.jpg

The parts and transfers. I had trimmed the box to retain the paint and transfer guide soon after purchase. 

29935724658_3206846136_b.jpg

Like the Hurricane, I had plans for a diorama for this model. The Airwaves PE won't be used, as it is chiefly for dropped flaps, open gun ports and various other maintenance hatches. The bag at the top contains several resin cockpit doors, which won't be used either. I will use the Squadron canopy, like the Hurricane, so I can pose it open.

43088983624_110dcae56d_b.jpg

The date of the mould shows, as well as various extra pegs for the snap-fit version.

29935724888_a12b3c9f39_b.jpg

I'm not sure about the moulding on the lower fuselage here. I think a little gentle sanding will be in order.

43088983214_a09ddf0735_b.jpg

Happily, there is little of the cockpit visible, so I got on with getting the fuselage and wings together. A little filler is needed along the fuselage seams, though the fit isn't that bad all things considered. The wings needed a little fettling to sit neatly in general. The pilot's seat and floor can, thankfully, be inserted from below before the wings go on. That means I could paint the interior a little after fixing things together.

43805485961_e94facbdb5_b.jpg

Unusually for me, I'm fitting a pilot. The kit example would have been fine, but I wanted one with arms that could be posed. I have an idea to have the pilot just waving to the ground crew to indicate he's happy to take off. I first tried a figure from the Revell set of pilots and ground crew, but my chosen example proved a little large for the available space. Essentially, I found I couldn't fit the floor and seat with the pilot in place after the fuselage was stuck together. Into my bits box, and I found a *ahem* Luftwaffe pilot who was petite enough to fit nicely, and had arms that could be positioned.

That's as far as I've got. I think I should get some primer on the main bits soon. Like the Hurricane, I intend brush painting the main camo colours. Funnily enough, the Xtradecal set of transfers I have include AZ-H, so I shall be able to replicate the original box model without risking aged Airfix transfers.

• Like 4

Not seen one of these built for a while. It can still be made up into a nice model with minimum fettling and personally, the fine raised panel lines are ok.

Looking on with interest (and a bit of nostalgia - I still have one unbuilt).  

Trevor

• Like 1

Nice!

This is the same tooling as the one I'm building. Good idea to ditch kit canopy, mines had a poor fit and I had to fill one side to close the gap.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 18:42, GREG DESTEC said:

This is the same tooling as the one I'm building. Good idea to ditch kit canopy, mines had a poor fit and I had to fill one side to close the gap.

The kit canopy is actually quite good, but sadly had a damaged mould gate which make it unusable. Making the canopy open is something I did when I was very young, carefully slicing the kit moulding into three parts. When I think of what I managed with only rudimentary tools back in the day, I am amazed! Happily, perhaps, those early models are long lost to history.

Anyway, for such a simple kit, progress has been fast. I got a coat of aerosol primer on the wings and fuselage yesterday. 

42019107520_098c1a4c5d_b.jpg

The main assemblies are still separate, but things stick together well enough to pose here. I used Humbrol 90 Sky acrylic on the undersides earlier today. The I spent a happy hour or so, listening to the close of play of the England-India test match, brush painting the Xtracrylix dark earth and dark green. For a change, both colours have ended up with a fairly good gloss finish, so I may elect not to bother with a Humbrol clear coat before transfers.

That'll do for today. I'm off to find somewhere cool.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 6

Just now, nimrod54 said:

Wow Heather, that's rapid progress. Looks great too, enjoy your chill time.

I will. We're lucky in we have an air source heat pump system that is also an air conditioning unit. One room in the house is now very chilled. :chilly:

It is a very simple kit. It's a proper old school "build and paint it before tea" model! It'll probably take longer to do the transfers, knowing me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite the shenanigans of the fourth day of the England-India test at Edgbaston, I managed to get transfers done.

29969932458_1c3d1ca1bb_b.jpg

29969932118_9eacb4c8a6_b.jpg

The Xtradecals went on nicely, even the awkward fin flash where they bend over the leading edge. Interesting that Hannants thought the cockpit door badge is white, where Airfix thought it yellow. :shrug: I found some Propagteam stencil and data decals in my stash, which help lift things a little. I've not bothered with all the W/T square stencils. 

The pilot and his seat have been installed, I've trimmed out the canopy and painted the frames. I'll let the decals settle for a while, then see if it's cool enough to get some matt varnish sprayed over things. 

• Like 3

43843081991_9de6ced49b_b.jpg

28906672687_ed62fa9309_b.jpg

Nearly there. Matt coat done, canopy and wheels fitted. A tiny bit of silvering along the edges of the upper wing roundels, which is a bit disappointing. I'll let the varnish layer dry really properly, and fit the wings to the fuselage, then tidying up, a spot of weathering and the antenna wire and this model will be ready for the portrait session.

:waiting:

• Like 6

Just watching Battle of Britain on ITV4, a film that I have never seen before  :whistle:, and I can't even think what has drawn me to this thread. :winkgrin: Great work Heather, I really like the flat finish. What do you use?

• Like 2

Just now, nimrod54 said:

I really like the flat finish. What do you use?

This stuff:

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/other-paints-solvents/primersandvarnish/varnishes/14pav82

It's ready mixed for airbrushing. I use gloss, satin and matt for my model railway work. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link , Heather. I have used Phoenix paints on my loco builds, but I haven't tried their varnish, I'll send for some, it will be useful for a couple of larger aircraft I would like to build.

• Like 1