AZ Model Bf 109G-6 Slovakian SVZ + 2 WIPs

Hi everyone,

I haven't been posting very much lately due to the fact that my mother was terminally ill and, naturally, I didn't feel like doing so. Sadly I have to report that my mother died this Saturday past so things have very hectic helping my Dad with sorting everything out. Now that things have calmed down slightly I feel I can now post what was the last kit I completed before my Mum died.

So, in memory of my Mum here's "White 5" from 13 Letka of the Slovenské Zzdušné Zbrane, or SVZ. This aircraft was flown by Rotnik (Staff Sergeant) Stefan Ocvirk during the disastrous 26th June 1944 engagement between 13 Letka and USAAF fighters defending a bomb group heading towards targets in the Vienna area. Although heavily damaged, "White 5" survived the engagement, making a wheels up landing at 13 Letka's base at Piešťany in Western Slovakia.

28868163617_a11ffa643e_b.jpg

28868164227_f5e7069816_b.jpg

43755805282_fec978a784_b.jpg

Here's a shot with the Croat 109G-14/AS I completed back in June:

43755803932_1e09803b4f_b.jpg

Although I've been under a lot of stress, building things has been a good way of coping with the situation so I actually have two more kits under construction:

AZ Model 1/72 Bf 109G-2 which will be Ilmari Juutilainen's MT-222:

43804359711_c9a5f654d5_b.jpg

HPM 1/72 Cheetah D, not a kit I've seen built very often:

28868162007_6c8512de7c_b.jpg

Comments welcome!

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 18

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  I lost my mother a few years ago after a long battle so please accept my condolences during this difficult time.  Modelling, or any other hobby or pastime, can act as a great stress reliever (or stress creator at times, depending on the kit!) and I think you have done a superb job on your Slovak Gustav.  I find these smaller Axis air arms fascinating and their colour schemes are very interesting.  Apropos your Croatian G-14 and I hope you will post pics of your finished Juutilainen's aircraft.  Likewise with your Cheetah.  Being a bit of a fan of the Mirage III I've been quite interested in the HPM kit and wanted to see what it would turn out like.  It is a bit pricey mind you.  It looks like it's coming along nicely although the nose extension didn't do much for the type's looks.   

• Like 1

I will be watching your Cheetah D with interest! You are right, it is not an aircraft you see that often. I have the "C" version in 1/48 waiting to be tackled as part of a conversion kit from a Mirage III.  Scaleworx resin models in Cape Town does make some good conversion sets for these birds.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your Mum, and deepest condolences, as has been said modelling is good way to help cope.  

The 109's are really good, I see you like other Air Forces markings, very different and impressive, being a huge Mirage fan I will be along for the ride in the Cheetah.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, MikeR said:

Although I've been under a lot of stress, building things has been a good way of coping with the situation

I'm with you... I find it's very Zen (if that's the right word)... Allows me to empty my mind.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Mum's funeral was on Monday, so now that's happened a weight has lifted, as it were. Dad and I are well through the process of sorting out mum's estate, too. I also have a much better idea of what to do when I'm next faced with this situation.

On the whole I feel much more "on-balance" now!

On 8/4/2018 at 10:43 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  I lost my mother a few years ago after a long battle so please accept my condolences during this difficult time.  Modelling, or any other hobby or pastime, can act as a great stress reliever (or stress creator at times, depending on the kit!) and I think you have done a superb job on your Slovak Gustav.  I find these smaller Axis air arms fascinating and their colour schemes are very interesting.  Apropos your Croatian G-14 and I hope you will post pics of your finished Juutilainen's aircraft.  Likewise with your Cheetah.  Being a bit of a fan of the Mirage III I've been quite interested in the HPM kit and wanted to see what it would turn out like.  It is a bit pricey mind you.  It looks like it's coming along nicely although the nose extension didn't do much for the type's looks.   

I do like a bit of "Small Axis", it does have to be said! As for the Cheetah (and the Kfir and ENAER Pantera two-seaters), I think the droopy nose gives the aircraft a bit of "character" as it were! I do have another HPM Cheetah kit but that's going to be a Chilean Mirage 5BD "Elkan" so no elongated nose on that one.

On 8/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, speedbird340 said:

I will be watching your Cheetah D with interest! You are right, it is not an aircraft you see that often. I have the "C" version in 1/48 waiting to be tackled as part of a conversion kit from a Mirage III.  Scaleworx resin models in Cape Town does make some good conversion sets for these birds.

The Cheetah isn't that bad - it's more like a conversion set with the HPM/PJ Productions kit bundled in. The only really awkward part are the LERX's as the resin parts are a very poor fit once you've cut out the corresponding parts from the wing. Nothing filler and some elbow grease won't fix, however! The model has been primered and I'm at the painting stage now although the only bit I'm not looking forward to is masking the canopy. I've decided to make it "860" which simplifies the masking as the angled reinforcement plate on the rear portion of the canopy is the same colour as the rest of the canopy frame, rather than white.

Mike. :)

• Like 1