1/48 P-47D NOT Dottie Mae...

Thom216

Alright, joining this GB!! This is my third one - and maybe I'll finish before the end with two months to work in! At least I won't be cutting up the fuselage with this one!

Starting with Tamiya's bubble-top Thunderbolt. If it even slightly similar to their Razorback kit then it should flow together like magic.😉

Obligatory box top and spru shots.

dCot18i.jpg

L4kEAs2.jpg

4TzEoG8.jpg

4sdM6bM.jpg

As well as the PE and resin engine, I'm awaiting some after market decals to show, which hopefully won't be too long in the delivery, and I'm going to add some piping to the wheel bays

For now, I think I'll start with the cockpit for a change of pace...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

Alright, actual constructed started for today.

Cockpit, of course. I started with stretched spru for extra wire and cables in the pit.

N3RiehA.jpg

GbtvHvg.jpg

nU3BwVX.jpg

LDBHROX.jpg

VvUsMt8.jpg

Of course the plastic part is sanded smooth in prep for the PE, whereas the pedals are already in place.

And then after painting.

DsQWqK1.jpg

And looking at the pic, I now realized I did not finish painting that black panel...

Anyway...

eHEtqXo.jpg

IqX7P2J.jpg

uktmX5T.jpg

I'm still working on the seat and back wall, but I'm sure I can start the gear wells tomorrow and maybe get the fuse together, and then work on that Quickboost engine that showed up today!

k6x6vdI.jpg

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 8

Looking really good, nice details in the cockpit.

The QB engine looks good, though I haven't got one,  it looks like they've only included the incorrect distributors, use the Turtlebacks, part G15 from the kit instead and don't fit the magneto block inbetween them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Looking really good, nice details in the cockpit.

The QB engine looks good, though I haven't got one,  it looks like they've only included the incorrect distributors, use the Turtlebacks, part G15 from the kit instead and don't fit the magneto block inbetween them.

Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind for when I get to the engine.

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great work on the cockpit, coming along really well 

Glynn 

Thank you!  Though I've discovered the kit has the wrong seat for the plane I'm building. So I have a square back on order. I can still move ahead with the cockpit and just drop it in later.

Edited by Thom216

Got a little more work and some more paint done. I put some grills into the side vents,

SuZcktw.jpg

gNl2QHT.jpg

And then hit the gear bays, which I've added pipes too and other areas with yellow/green. I also hit the supercharger with Citadel Boltgun Metal and alum for some of the little round intakes under the engine.

pQ4Qic6.jpg

lyXNpYL.jpg

LEzhvtk.jpg

After that I broke apart the airbrush and I need to do some detail touch ups in the bays after it all dries enough.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Super impressive work, can I post you some cockpits to detail up? The wires detail is pretty neat! Should be a good one to follow

No idea when you'll get them back, but sure!😃

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Those little grills look good, i hold my hand up i didn't know about those, very nice 

To tell the truth, I don't know either! I just saw them on another build a while back and thought it was a good way to 'busy' up an empty void.😉

As to the build, I believe my gear bays are done. Painted up the pipes and hoses and piston, going back and forth as I invariably over painted one or the other...

tJIaLpa.jpg

yarMxc0.jpg

And last shots of the 'pit. sans seat and gunsight. before it goes in and I close up the fuse.

XtnhT1n.jpg

j49G9a8.jpg

sGpJqO7.jpg

Next up, the fuselage!!

• Like 6

Alright, got the super charger exhaust painted with Citadel Boltgun Metal and hit the fan with a little bit of black panel line accent.

1Sb2flN.jpg

Then started loading up the fuselage side,

tUTA25x.jpg

Got some PE on the oil coolers with a light brushing of brass and metalic grey down the air intake.

PDC0fVI.jpg

Vertical fin and dorsal going together. I wonder why Tamiya molded this in two side parts rather then just one. At first I thought it was separate to help the spine seam, but it must be to allow other types of the 47 to be built. Still, could have been molded as one part...

mpEWD7T.jpg

Supercharger exhaust in place, being sure to paint the interior.

1rLBnnd.jpg

And the fuselage going together for the second time... I say second, because I had not realized that the cockpit tub had shifted at some point and I had neglected to test fit. But, second time and not the third was the charm! Lots of tape holding her together.

S1nx5W2.jpg

7so6ppb.jpg

I'll need to rehit the spars with green/yellow as they got scraped during positioning, but I think I can get the wings together now and start on that engine!

• Like 2

Last update of the night. I started gluing the wings together, making sure to drill out the holes for the bomb racks.

JghMF09.jpg

And shamelessly stealing an idea from Tbolt, I'm putting some piping in for under the cowl flaps. I don't have any styrene tube of the right looking diameter - nor the patience to bend it with heat - so I'm using wire from some old ear buds. So far s'allright....

YObZT3j.jpg

Til next.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

Not too much done today. I finished the 'exhausts' for behind the engine and painted it flat black, since according to diagrams there should be a more open space in there. I'll paint the piping with silver and then move on from there.

OwjuWaW.jpg

fVC2qxx.jpg

Kh01D54.jpg

Then onto the engine. I'm using a mix of kit and resin. The kit's front bank of cylinders will be used in the rear. It have the integral push rods that'll be painted silver, and though harder to see for being in the back, they will hopefully still be noticeable. Then the holes were drilled for the wires and the prop shaft, which looks to sit pretty even. I'll see for certain before I put the cowl in place as the props vertical should be even with it. And I also fashioned an ignition ring to go around the resin crank case from a 7/16'' retaining ring.

6hYnoAY.jpg

0fxrLwi.jpg

8dlDAPR.jpg

I also decided to delve into Aclad paints, which are now on order.

And now back to work!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Not too much done today. I finished the 'exhausts' for behind the engine and painted it flat black, since according to diagrams there should be a more open space in there. I'll paint the piping with silver and then move on from there.

Then onto the engine. I'm using a mix of kit and resin. The kit's front bank of cylinders will be used in the rear. It have the integral push rods that'll be painted silver, and though harder to see for being in the back, they will hopefully still be noticeable. Then the holes were drilled for the wires and the prop shaft, which looks to sit pretty even. I'll see for certain before I put the cowl in place as the props vertical should be even with it. And I also fashioned an ignition ring to go around the resin crank case from a 7/16'' retaining ring.

I also decided to delve into Aclad paints, which are now on order.

And now back to work!

I've done the opposite with my exhausts, painted the metal finish and then painted the rest black! But that's only because I used Alclad for the exhaust.

The rear bank of cylinder push rods are on the aft side of the cylinders so I would paint them the same silver you are using on the cylinders so they will less visible.

Edited by Tbolt

20 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I've done the opposite with my exhausts, painted the metal finish and then painted the rest black! But that's only because I used Alclad for the exhaust.

The rear bank of cylinder push rods are on the aft side of the cylinders so I would paint them the same silver you are using on the cylinders so they will less visible.

Thank you for the much needed heads up! With that being the case I shall use the rear bank instead.

Right now I'm sanding the seams and trying not to lose too much of the details in the process. And attempting to keep blemishes to a minimum considering the NMF I'm going for.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Once again, a little bit since my last update. Got a little more work done today. Or the day before, it's hard to tell sometimes...

The seat, the new one came in from Ultracast, was freed of its plug and test fitted. Unfortunately, the resin seat mounts are too narrow for the holes in the kit's floor. As a remedy, I snipped them off and glued on the lower half of the seat support from the kit. But... It proved nearly impossible to get it to sit putting the seat in from the top after the fuselage halves were together. So I snipped off the little plugs that would fit into the floor. Perfect fit now!!

I painted it up, and once that's dry I'll put the PE seat belts on.

inavC4z.jpg

NKq6GWK.jpg

I'll also need to paint the supports silver.

Then I got the gear legs together. I used thin metal wire for the break lines as well as PE glued onto the scissor links. I tried using them without and couldn't get them to stick, so I just slapped them on over the kit part. Then I sprayed them with silver leaf from a Tamiya rattle can.

9AAkqsM.jpg

They look all metal!! I'll paint up those break lines later and then work on the tires.

And now the first wing is on! Hazzah!!

MXEJw33.jpg

The starboard wing is next and then the tail planes and rudder - and then I really need to do that engine...

Back sometime soon.

• Like 5

I've decided to change the frame on the seat. That uneven back is bothering me, and thankfully the kit came with two of them. So, next order of business is to scrape the one off the resin part and replace it with the plastic one.