1/48 P-47D NOT Dottie Mae...

Thom216

Thanks. I would like a polished, shiny look, but it's not going as smoothly this first time, Look so simple on youtube!!

It's also grainy to the touch, which is weird as some parts are quite smooth, like the flaps. The only thing I can think of is that I put too many coats on.(?) The flaps only got a few passes but I may have done too many on the fuse and wings.

Tomorrow I'll use a fine sanding pad and go over it and see how it looks. May hit it with Alclad Chrome and see how that goes. I think I'll also test some MM metalizers.nlON23a.jpg

Just for shats and gaggles I sprayed a Tamiya Silver Leaf straight from the can onto bare plastic, then rubbed it down with a coffee filter and got this.

Phfl9Tf.jpg

Definitely not as shiny, but certainly smoother and less grainy looking.

• Like 4

I looked at another youtube tutorial and I think I see where I erred. I forgot and used it like a normal paint. Supposed to be light coat, let dry and brush off any 'dust' before doing it again. Also forgot that this stuff dries fast too... I just sprayed and sprayed and covered that paint dust with following coats, giving the grainy effect.

Edited by Thom216

It might very well be the way that the photos have come out, but the prop looks less grainy than the large flatter areas (which only look slightly grainy). I think some buffing would help, for sure, though I'm also not an Alclad user and I find it hard to judge from photos. 

• Thanks 1

As a test, I used an older fuselage, putting a gloss black base down and then the Alclad. It came out looking pretty sweet. A little distorted here and there but very shiny and I can even see my fingers in the finish. If I can get the actual build looking as good as this, I'll be happy!

tph5UPW.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 10:52 AM, Hewy said:

Shiny, shiny. Top job thom, you really have to be perfect with the prep for a  passable metal looking finish, looks like a good un to me

Glynn 

Agreed, which I don't have here...

So, slight change in plans as I am going back to the kit decals for this one. The Dottie Mae decals will be kept for another build with a better paint result. I know I could strip the paint all off the thing, but at this point I don't feel like doing that, nor do I want to deal with the resulting mess.

Right now, Model Master Aluminum Plate is drying on the frame, probably all dry already, and I think I'm almost to decals and final assembly. Will post update pics soon!

• Like 1

As said, some pics of the build, with paint applied. This is MM Aluminum Plate. Coverage is okay, though in spots I can see the waviness from too many coats of paint.

XFc4OWm.jpg

tQl0vEO.jpg

DrU4x6z.jpg

BmfDkmJ.jpg

ePxXjb3.jpg

Everything else is decals, from the checkers for the cowl to the D-Day stripes, so bound to have fun with that!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while huh? And right at the end too. Not sure if I'll finish this by the 30th, but paint is pretty much done and the decals are going on.

She's not like I initially intended and there are more than a few oopsies that I'm not going to point out.

For paint and decals, I decided not to use the kit invasion stripes. At first I didn't think they were going to go alright, but using Micro Set I was able to lay the belly stripes down pretty well, except for a break that occurred by the turbine exhaust housing. It wasn't so bad, then I thought about trying to get the decals to conform to the under wing detail and I just decided to paint them. Their spacings are a little off, but doing this right has since gone by the wayside, so here she is so far.

Hp8o26X.jpg

8yn1Oxz.jpg

eyONDgg.jpg

I need more Micro Sol to settle the decals against the fuselage. Somethings I'm not worrying about are varying silver panels or weathering. When decals are done, shes done.

😜

• Like 7

Thank you, but the line is now too close. Work yesterday, work today, family tomorrow... Three strikes now. Let there be hope for the B-17 GB!!

As of now, I'm putting the decals on the cowl and that's going about as I expected. Wrinkles and tears... Or is that tears..? 🤣

Not as bad as it first looked when first applying, as the Mico Sol works really good. But still, tiny wrinkles and a few tears. Considered putting it on hold, but I think I'll plug away at it off and on until finished and then park it in the Inspection Thread with some real tiny pictures!😁

0peY2Vp.jpg

gu7UkM3.jpg

nLHluQD.jpg

The last panel is on and 'smoothing' now. After this, I'll be putting this more to the back of the table and pulling the Fr.47s back out as they are still in the Optimisic stage.😉

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3