1/72nd MPM Wellington Mk.Ic, 294 (ASR) Sqn, Libya, 1944

Hiya Folks,

I built this model alongside a couple of the new Airfix Wellington kits and has been built wearing the camouflage and markings of Wellington Mk.Ic Z1044 operated in the Air Sea Rescue role by 294 Sqn in Libya during 1944,.... using a photo that I have in my private collection as my main reference, plus other pics from the same unit!

Here is the WIP which also includes the Airfix kits;

And here is the model;

DSCF4772DSCF4776DSCF4774_NEWDSCF4773_NEWDSCF4780_NEWDSCF4781_NEWDSCF4783_NEWDSCF4786_NEWDSCF4787DSCF4788DSCF4789

The model was brush painted using Aeromaster acrylic US Neutral Grey, Dark Slate Grey and RAF Azure Blue.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 54

47 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Beautiful work Tony.

When I compare your Wellington to my Blenheim posted here.................😫

Hey Neil it is all practice mate,.... your Blenheim is a good start,..... the more you build the better you will get,.... I have seen much. much worse so please don`t get downhearted. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Very different, I know it is Air Sea Rescue. But no guns?

Well it wasn`t fitted with any in the photo and they did take them out and clean them too! Being based in Libya in 1944,..... I doubt that there was much need for guns anyway.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Another stunner, Tony. Are you on Airfix's Christmas card list?:rofl:

Cheers Vinnie,..... glad you like it/them,...... haha,.... it would be nice wouldn`t it eh! 

Tony

• Like 1

• Mike changed the title to 1/72nd MPM Wellington Mk.Ic, 294 (ASR) Sqn, Libya, 1944

I've been waiting patiently to see this one finished Tony and it's certainly been worth the wait. That's a gorgeous colour scheme.

Lovely job as ever Tony and a very fine trio.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the additional comments folks,.... just noticed them,......  sorry my thanks is rather belated!!

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,...... yes once I found this scheme I just had to model it as it looks great,..........  glad you like the resut,.... ta.

• Like 1

Hi Tony. Very nice Wimpey indeed!.  Do like the RAF Azure Blue used in that theatre. Makes for an unusual combination.

Im interested in how this aircraft was used in an ASR role too? Was it just used as a search platform or did it hold life saving equipment In its bomb bay to drop to aircrew? Like a wooden launch with food water and other  life saving stuff?

My last boss. his grandfather was an Engineer on Wimpeys and flew in the Mediterranean Theatre. He ended up in a raft after one sortie and was the only crew member to survive. I would love to find out a little more about his grandfathers escapades. Will ask him..

Regards, Andy

4 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Hi Tony. Very nice Wimpey indeed!.  Do like the RAF Azure Blue used in that theatre. Makes for an unusual combination.

Im interested in how this aircraft was used in an ASR role too? Was it just used as a search platform or did it hold life saving equipment In its bomb bay to drop to aircrew? Like a wooden launch with food water and other  life saving stuff?

My last boss. his grandfather was an Engineer on Wimpeys and flew in the Mediterranean Theatre. He ended up in a raft after one sortie and was the only crew member to survive. I would love to find out a little more about his grandfathers escapades. Will ask him..

Regards, Andy

Thanks mate,...... I`ve eeen film of them working in conjunction with High Speed Launches and amphibian rescue aircraft,..... so presumably mostly for search,..... although it would have carried a few dinghy`s and rescue gear that it could drop too. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2018 at 12:27 AM, Neil.C said:

Beautiful work Tony.

When I compare your Wellington to my Blenheim posted here.................😫

Tony’s right Neil, now I haven’t as yet come across your Blenheim however there is no one on here who hasn’t built a kit that hasn’t quite turned out to ones expectations. Keep at it mate. 

Now that’s a lovely Wimpy Tony, looks very neat in those cool colours - very well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony’s right Neil, now I haven’t as yet come across your Blenheim however there is no one on here who hasn’t built a kit that hasn’t quite turned out to ones expectations. Keep at it mate. 

Now that’s a lovely Wimpy Tony, looks very neat in those cool colours - very well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,... glad you like it mate and I fully agree....... a model never turns out just as you want it,..... my current Hudson has a lot of problems.

On 02/08/2018 at 16:24, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

I built this model alongside a couple of the new Airfix Wellington kits and has been built wearing the camouflage and markings of Wellington Mk.Ic Z1044 operated in the Air Sea Rescue role by 294 Sqn in Libya during 1944,.... using a photo that I have in my private collection as my main reference, plus other pics from the same unit!

Here is the WIP which also includes the Airfix kits;

And here is the model;

DSCF4772DSCF4776DSCF4774_NEWDSCF4773_NEWDSCF4780_NEWDSCF4781_NEWDSCF4783_NEWDSCF4786_NEWDSCF4787DSCF4788DSCF4789

The model was brush painted using Aeromaster acrylic US Neutral Grey, Dark Slate Grey and RAF Azure Blue.

Cheers

Tony 

Super nice Wimpy.

Alain

PS : I would like to post a Special MTO Wimpy, if it's possible, tell me your feeling

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MACALAIN said:

Super nice Wimpy.

Alain

PS : I would like to post a Special MTO Wimpy, if it's possible, tell me your feeling

Thanks Alain,..... mate if you want to post a model,.... you go for it. 

40 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another Tony trifecta; Scheme, Skill and (back)Story. That's a beauty.

Cheers mate,.... glad you like it. 

19 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Alain,..... mate if you want to post a model,.... you go for it. 

Cheers mate,.... glad you like it. 

It's done, I had also post a few Malta Hurricane a few weeks ago

Alain

• Like 1