Airfix Blenheim MKIV. Ancient 02027 kit....

Just finished this Blenheim. 

I should really know what to expect with these old kits  but this was a pretty ill fitting beast. That said my skill as a modeller (none) makes me baulk at some of the prices for the larger size jobs so Kingkit (or boot sales) get all my business. 

I guess it was a pretty old kit as it was the "blueprint" type box  but it was a distraction for a few hours.  I willingly admit I don't have the patience that is necessary for some of the fantastic stuff that is exhibited on here but I like to post up my jobs even though they are not up to the high standard we see here regularly.

I don't usually bother with crew members but found the mid upper gun was attached to the gunner(?) so I thought I'd better paint up the pilot and other crew member. Can hardly see them but it had to be done.

After all the moaning and having painted the model up I approached the transfers with trepidation, they looked old yellowed and curling 😲. I needn't have worried though, Airfix came up trumps, the transfers went on a treat and didn't look bad at all, so full marks for that. 

Anyway here are the pics of what I imagine is the worst example of a Blenheim shown on here but onward and upwards.

I've got a Lockheed Hudson next! DSCN3099.jpg

DSCN3095.jpg

DSCN3094.jpg

DSCN3097.jpg

DSCN3100.jpgDSCN3101.jpg

• Like 21

All those battleship rivets but the decals settled down nicely over them. Classic Airfix at it's best/worst. Your finish is not the worst, that was mine when I built it back in the seventies and in any case it's better than the blind Chimpanzee who built the model for the box art. What was Airfix thinking back then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did end up with one of these in may stash as part of the 'Victoria Cross' set when it was going cheap.  As I was only really after the Battle, Hurricane and Hampden, I may bin the Blenheim after your nice close-up pics...

Neil, do not be so harsh on yourself, thank you for posting an Airfix classic and building it as Airfix intended.

The Humbrol offering which you built would have appeared about 15-20 years after it was originally released back in the late 1960s and therefore the moulds would have been getting a bit worn which is why the fit of the parts may not have been that good. An example from the 1960s or early 1970s with the superb artwork on the box would have crisper moulded parts and probably gone together easier.

Thanks again for showing us a bit of modelling history,

adey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built one a while back. 

It was horrible.  Covered in flash, slightly warped mouldings, parts that just did not fit, etc.

And the raised rivet heads!  A nightmare to fill, rub down and eventually get decals to seat properly.

I treated it as an exercise in self control (temper tantrums, mild expletives, etc) :wall:as the build progressed.

Any result is a good result.  Well done!

• Thanks 1

Good to see a not so perfect build. It tells people like me it is ok to show your end result even if it isn't perfect. Lets see more of them. 

This is a difficult kit. I have it, so had a look myself. Those rivets are a nightmare for sure and the and the moulding around the canopy 

is really bad. No wonder you had problems with it. The canopy framing is way out of scale so I doubt anyone would be able to make that look right.

Your decals look great. I have major problems when it comes to decals. I find it very stressful. My first project I did when I got back to the hobby

was a BOB Stuka. I went though four sets of decals before I was done. So well done. I look forward to seeing your next effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil. You have done well there as said previously above don't be so hard on yourself. I have one in the stash and I have looked at it several times and just put it back.  

Getting the decals on and settled is fantastic too.   I do love building some of the old Airfix kits some are  real gems.  I look forward to seeing your Hudson build too as I have a bit of a soft spot for the Hudson.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. 

I know my stuff is not up to the standard of the majority on here but I do mostly enjoy it and it's a tangible link to happy times as a youngster.

All the best,

Neil.

• Like 5

When I started getting back into modelling one early attempt was an Airfix Typhoon that I'd bought but not built as a child. Lots of raised detail, as you'd expect. Weirdly, despite not having learnt to apply decals to a gloss surface its markings adhered and conformed amazingly well, probably just as well or better than those on any kit I've built since.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. 

I know my stuff is not up to the standard of the majority on here but I do mostly enjoy it and it's a tangible link to happy times as a youngster.

All the best,

Neil.

Hi Neil 

Enjoying it is what it's all about fella along with learning about the subject and new techniques .  I have been modelling quite a few years  and I find every day a learning day and I am always in awe of the models that people turn out on here. This is a great medium for all of us modellers. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2

You have made me get start work on my Blenheim mk.1. It is a frog/Russian kit. I started work on it when the new Airfix one came out, as I wanted to compare the two. 

Good idea, but got shelved. I rescribed the wings today. The first time I had tried scribing. You can see my learn progress from one wing to the next. The last wing turned out

quite good. The first not so good. So you see there is always something to learn.

A tip for you Neil. If you use a tooth pick. You can remove a lot of the excess paint on the canopy. I used did it on the Blenheim's turret because it is too small to mask.

I did this before joining the fuselage together. Spent a bit of time making sure the turret would turn. Then I had one of those senior moments

when I was gluing the fuselage. I forgot to put the turret in. Sometimes I wonder......

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

Nice one Neil you’ve done this justice. it’s all about getting your builds to the point where you can stand back and with some pride say “ I built that and I’m happy with what I’ve done “. It would be great if we could all build to the outstanding quality we see displayed on BM day in and day out but we’re all at different levels. I have a shelf full off builds that I’m “happy” with and my youngest daughter thinks are “Amazing “ her words not mine. I just don’t have the bottle to post them on here. 

So again Neil well done on completing this Old,Old Airfix Classic it’s been built straight out of the box the way Mother Airfix intended 👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unfinished project said:

Nice one Neil you’ve done this justice. it’s all about getting your builds to the point where you can stand back and with some pride say “ I built that and I’m happy with what I’ve done “. It would be great if we could all build to the outstanding quality we see displayed on BM day in and day out but we’re all at different levels. I have a shelf full off builds that I’m “happy” with and my youngest daughter thinks are “Amazing “ her words not mine. I just don’t have the bottle to post them on here. 

So again Neil well done on completing this Old,Old Airfix Classic it’s been built straight out of the box the way Mother Airfix intended 👏👏👏👏👏

Don't let that worry you for a second, please post up your models. I know we would all love to see them.

My efforts have been met with unfailing kindness and friendly critique with helpful tips that have come in very useful.

It's a very friendly place. 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Neil.C said:

& thats all the counts at the end of the day. There're a hell of a lot on here that are better modelers than I am, they also work harder at it than I do because that's what does it for them. For me I do it to a standard I'm happy with & I'm the only one that has to like it. Your Blenheim looks really good for its age, you've done a nice OOB build, about as good as can be done with an old kit like this without a LOT of additional work. Something that I tend to do with these rivet encrusted monsters is to take some worn fine wet & dry & buff the rivets back a bit, not so you loose them entirely but enough to make decaling easier & generally improve the look of them, imho anyway. Keep it up.

Steve.

• Like 4

The important thing is to enjoy yourself.

A bonus - I got some enjoyment out of seeing someone else tackling this old kit. I did one a while ago

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969089-bristol-blenheim-mk-iv-airfix-172-with-canopy-frame-tape-picture/

I have another one and you have inspired me to have a go with that one too - not right now though!

• Like 1