Colne Bay Smack 'Peace'

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

A thought  . . would it be possible to print it on transfer paper? Not sure about the white, would an off white / cream work?

Anyone got ant thoughts?

Kev

I was thinking the same, using white transfer/decal paper for the characters.  Spray a light coat of clear matt lacquer on white transfer/decal paper first before cutting out the characters to get rid of the surface sheen.  I've never tried applying waterslide printed decals onto paper, but with a little care it might work.

John

I thought about this, but the thought of cutting out rather small letters and trying to get them lined up on a piece of pape that has been sort of Moulded into a curve....Think that might be a bit beyond my skill-set/patience! Plan B is looking better all the time :)

I've had a thought about your numbers/letters ( What else do you think about a 4 in the morning and you can't sleep ) 🙂

You can all sorts of number/letter stencils in different sizes. If you letters are 18"  @ 1/64 = 7mm. I had a quick check and I saw somewhere they went down to 3mm.

Applying the paint in light mist coats should avoid bleed, if not first coat a matt varnish. 

Reference matching seems both sides. Have you thought of spraying rather than printing. What I've done on mine before using layout paper, apply a coat darker than finished colour. Mask the seams the seams and then overspray with a lighter colour.

HTH

Kev

Thanks for the ideas, Kev. 6 am here...same subject... I'm working to 1/48th scale so the letters and numbers are somewhat larger. A friend of mine has a small computter controlled vinyl cutting machine, and I'm lying here wondering about a stencil. I once had a roll of drafting linen which would have been an ideal material for the sails, but it got lent to a friend to cut a couple of sails for a J class. Never gave it back and moved away. I mention it because I did a fabric sail for Billings Roar Ege I built some years back. It took the red oxide well and I got a decent belly into it. 1/48 is just about a large enough scale, if I can find some fine enough fabric, silk maybe.

The Egyptian Cotton looks ace. 300 threadcount sounds pretty good, cheers. My wife as lots of fabric scraps from her textile art - going to have a rummage...

Here's a few shots of how I did Roar Ege's sail - larger scale, mind.Painted with a red ochre acrylic, let dry, sprayed with water, loaded with sand while racked to a frame and then hair dryered!

roar-sail_1roar-sm_2

The hull has been painted and the rigging re-done since then...

• Like 5

Just had a rummage, well actually my wife did the rummaging, and we came up with some fine, oxblood colour cotton. So I shall do a couple of test sails and see if I can trace the letter outlines onto it and paint in the letters with white acrylic... I keep finding the lightpad I bought being really useful for plan work and such - This is the one I have. I think there are cheaper, but I reckoned A3 would be most useful for me.

• Like 1

Here's a sample I've been playing with. The right end was sealed with brushed on acrylic matt medium, which darkens the colour a bit, though it doesn't show in this scan. The other end was given a light spray of Halfords gloss lacquer which could do with a second coat to stop bleed through, but might get a bit shiny, we'll see. Both methods make brushing on acrylic white much easier - the middle ck171 was done straight onto the fabric. So it looks like some variation of lacquer ought to work, so back to plan A again. 

lettering-test

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 10:41 AM, longshanks said:

Nice one !

Looks like you're on the right road 🙂

Kev

I think so... I'm thinking of doing bolt ropes with twisted wire, painted buff, then they'll aso function to hold the shape, after I manage to get some belly into the sail!

mainsail

• Like 5

Now that looks the biz !!

1 hour ago, seadog said:

I'm thinking of doing bolt ropes with twisted wire, painted buff, then they'll aso function to hold the shape, after I manage to get some belly into the sail!

Cunning plan that should work well

Kev

OK, Haven't actually been shirking, honest. I've been sorting out the sails. Found that I could tape down layout paper to an old canvas stretcher, I could paint it with a few layers of artists acrylic red oxide, thinned with a bit of water and flow improver...

sail-paint_1sail-paint

So now I have sails, red and white. Next step is to glue on bolt ropes, put in grommets at the corners, and get on with rigging.

sail-paint_2

Onward.....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking great so far not my colours though I would have gone for black and white. :footy:  :whistle:

beefy 

Me neither, but 'Peace' has a red main sail. The red isn't quite so loud in reality... Ah, hang about, you mean the hull? The drawings I used show the original build, but I had nothing else to go on. No details, no old photos, so I went with the way she is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Nice work!

What did you use to make the straight lines on the sails?

I've got one of those rolling rulers which makes even spacing a bit easier.

• Thanks 1