Colne Bay Smack 'Peace'

Some more progress.. Treenailed and glued the cutwater on.

progress

and checked the under deck to see if the hull was anywhere near OK...looks doable.

progress_2

The stern timbers are coming on, turns out she only has 4 :)

more_1

Here's a closer look at the stern.

more

The outer, or horn timbers I put on 'raw and am shaping in place...there will be filler. The next shot is a bit doom laden, however, it takes a few mistakes when you scratchbuild, eh? Mind you, the full hull effort at the back may end up getting worked on, now that I have some idea of how the stern structure works!

early

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Looks good to me. Are you going to build all three of these?

No! 3 of the same boat would be really boring, two is probably stretching it :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looks like your having fun with your hacksaw there Fraser  :whistle:  

Keith

mini chaisaw next...

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Takes a few eggs to make an omelette :nodding:

I can see her taking shape, going to worth all the effort you're putting in

Kev

I really hope so nut I realise I still have a lot figure out. 

This is a detail of a screen grab from a video of her on her way to her winter berth. Another brilliant video, of two . Interesting bit of carpentry there. Needless to say it poses a few questions more than it answers...

peace stern-detail

• Like 2

Began the deck planking

yarmouth0509

and now all the deck planks are down except the covering boards around the edges. Trying to keep in mind some sort of order of building. It's all too easy to build yourself into a corner and realise that there's something you should have done earlier and now it's too late....One of the things that went seriously wrong with Fair Rosamund. I've made gouges for the bulwark stantions which, being only 1.5mm square will be cut from hardwood.

yarmouth0509_1

The cover boards will need to be cut with a scalpel...no way I can get those long curves on the scroll saw!

• Like 6

I'm liking the deck, the horns are taking shape ,,,,    Good progress.

A thought (you're probably way ahead of me). The rebates in the soft balsa could be made stronger by letting CA wick into the grain, Surprising how hard the balsa becomes.

Looking forward to the next steps

Kev

19 hours ago, longshanks said:

I'm liking the deck, the horns are taking shape ,,,,    Good progress.

A thought (you're probably way ahead of me). The rebates in the soft balsa could be made stronger by letting CA wick into the grain, Surprising how hard the balsa becomes.

Looking forward to the next steps

Kev

Thanks, hoever...that's not balsa. it's either Lime (most likely) or Jelutong as I have a small stock of both. I think that having got the deck on, cover boards to do yet, I need to do all of the deck fittings, bitts etc and the deck house before doing the bulwarks which would just be in the way. Once that's sorted it'll be bulwarks and then planking the hull.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, seadog said:

that's not balsa

Sorry a senior moment, I was probably still thinking about Ray's Wherry

20 hours ago, seadog said:

I need to do all of the deck fittings, bitts etc and the deck house before doing the bulwarks which would just be in the way

Seems logical, going to be watching with interest

Kev

• Like 1

I've cut down 1mm planks to .5mm....being a bit more scale, and no, I don't use my fingers when the saw is running. At least not with bits of wood that tiny...

saw

I changed my mind about doing all the deck fittings first as the deck houses (?) will built off the model and then dropped into place, So the stanchions are in place and I've started planking the hull which has the added benefit of holding the stanchions...

yarmouth0509_7

The best way to hold planks on is glue and treenails. For these I use bamboo from and old place mat, unfortunately the placemat  bamboo is painted, which needs removing before the drawplate can 'bite'. I aim to produce treenails fo something like .65mm - takes a bit of doing and pulling the dowel through the plate gives you sore fingers!

yarmouth0509_5yarmouth0509_6

The stern is quite tricky to plank and needed a 'stealer'. It all looks a bit rough, well, very rough at the moment...this will change, honest!

yarmouth0509_8

Ta for looking

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Old Mull said:

Hi sea dog , re trenails, how about a pack of bamboo skewers ? Don't have to remove the paint and are as cheap as chips in the supermarket.

Dave

Tried them. Too big and coarse to draw down. A lot of people use toothpicks and just grind down an end to make an individual treenail. I've been using that mat for years. You can get a LOT of treenails out of one!

Cheers, but no, too big -  won't go through the largest hole of my draw plate!

So, planking continues.Looks rough as guts when first applied - the mini clothes pegs are cheap and damn useful! The main hull is now pretty much planked and I've been sizing up the bulwarks. They will have a small gap at the deck to allow the sea to get back off the deck...

bulwarks

Tis is a shot of the inside of the port bulwark and you can see a bit of sanded planking...looks a bit better, no?

bulwarks_1

• Like 5

Under the stern - going to need a tiny bit of filler to neaten up the rudder stock trunk...

rudderhole

I've also marked the waterline using my hi-tech marking jig. Now it's time to get on with all the deck and bulwark clutter.

waterline-jig

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Hello Seadog, I do not do 'high tech', but I think you may have made me reconsider...

Very nice work with this, and I really like the way you used your 'tree nails' - they did a cracking job keeping things in place. I think I may need to try woodworking a bit more than I do, it opens up so much in the way of modelling possibilities for us.

All the best,

Ray

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. Now...treenails, trennels, whatever. Very useful and I need some rather smaller than I was doing. Much below this and they're hard to handle

more woodwork_4

Necessary though, for things like the channels - Just relying on glue is risky with bits like this.

more woodwork_1

I've made the bowsprit - realised that I needed it mounted to sort out the spacing etc of the bitts. The pins were turned down from toothpicks using my drill and a bit of sandpaper held down on the edge of the table...The square fid is about a mm square - squaring out the hole was done with a square needle file - managed to break the tip off....great. The blurry item in the foreground needs a sheave....more later.

more woodwork_2

And I finally got around to putting on the rails - I think that the guy in overalls might be slightly overscale...

more woodwork

More soon.

• Like 6

Its great to see some wooden model boat construction. This one looks superb. I'll follow along closely! May even tempt me to resume work on the Talhoer Spanish Fishing Vessel I acquired some years ago. Got to the hull planking part and put it on the shelf for a while - almost 20 years I think!

Thanks for sharing

Terry

• Like 1

Been busy, the hull is now getting there, all the belaying points are there, and a first - interior - coat of paint. Still to do: Tiller, the what should I call them? not cabins really, but anyway they need their hatches and there's a couple of athwartship planks at the stern...and then it'll be time to think about the masting an rigging,

inboard woodwork

• Like 6