Colne Bay Smack 'Peace'

A tentative start on the Bow rigging today. I must remember to deal with that little gap on the cutwater! Incidentally, the side stays on the bowsprit are a tad slack on the real thing, just in case you wondered! :)

Thanks for looking

sail-paint_3

• Like 8

And thanks for the comments. Right now I'm working out a technique for putting on bolt ropes with the least torment. Best candidate so far is soft iron wire painted 'rope' colour and using minute quantities of thick superglue to keep it on the edge of the sail. Seems ok on the test piece, fragile, but useable with care....therein lies the rub!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, progress, bolt ropes were secured using thick CA, seems to have worked OK.

20190301_143553

After this The mains'l was ready enough to tie to the mast hoops...9 hoops, took an hour and a slight headache!

20190301_170705

So it's now secured to the mast...rigging will ensue tomorrow. Actually starting to look like something now.

Ta for looking

• Like 10

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Looks absolutely wonderful!!

The sail really sets it off.

Cracking

Rob

Thanks, yep, it's a start. I'm finding that I spend about as much time trying to find out where the rigging runs to as actually doing it! Yesterday was spent making blocks...

Rigging is quite a job, getting in and around what you've done already gets more and more "interesting".  Constantly having to make batches of blocks, and then finding a couple more I'd overlooked, so make and paint more...

and here's some hanging out to dry...

sails_4

This is where I'm at presently, mains'l up and rigged (I think), fores'l, jib and tops'l about to get their wire bolt ropes

sails_3

As always, thanks for looking and encouraging!

• Like 6

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Darby said:

When you get to a certain age it's hard not to whittle; and sometimes in public too.

from a long forgotten 1960s television show:

"what's your name?"

"Whipper. Whipper Bibbs"

"what're doin'?"

"whittlin'"

"what're you whittlin'?"

"when you whittle, you don't whittle nothin'. you just whittle."

it truly was a simpler time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fizgig said:

Ooh err matron!  Sorry, it's in the title...

Smack yer legs! Just keep taking the Dried Frog pills...

On with purring up and rigging more sails... I applied the metal rope bolt ropes using thin contact adhesive.

sails_9

And this is the state of play tonight, mostly there now, but a surprising amount of finishing to do...and then there's the crew, which I think I'll need to make myself, joy.

sails_11

sails_7

sails_8

I've made armatures to build a crew on...any cracks about a skeleton crew will have consequences, up to but not excluding keel-hauling.

sails_12

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

On 3/15/2019 at 7:30 AM, seadog said:

any cracks about a skeleton crew will have consequences

Wouldn't dream of it. ;) On half rations were they. :D Its looking stunning & I'm sure the crew will too once they get to port & get outside of a few pork pies. :) 

Steve.