Colne Bay Smack 'Peace'

Spent a while thinking  what to build that wasn't too complicated, unlike Fair Rosamund  which fell victim to a total lack of planning, when it came to the masting and rigging...(still deciding whether to start re-rigging - and how best to do it.)

So I settled on an East Coast Oyster Smack 'Peace'.

A beautiful 38 footer, built in 1909 and still sailing. I found a lines drawing in Edgar J. March's book Inshore Craft of Great Britain. A fascinating and informative book.

smack_2

The drawings have taken some work to become something I can work with. I plan to use the same technique I used to make Scottish Maid's hull - bulkheads, in-filled with balsa and then planked.

This next pic is a half model to see how it looks. I did it in 1/48th scale. The model will be in 1/64th. Even in 1/48th it's not a large model.

half model

• Like 9

:D I remember one year at the Model Engineers exhibition, observing the RC submarine bunch. Lots of Fair Isle sweaters and pipes.... My wife wondered what the kick was in watching an aerial going around a pond... I said I reckoned it was when it came up again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whittling and wittering there will be along with cursing  and possible headbanging! :)

Progress is being made. despite debilitating heat. Here's the warm weather work station - 

colne_2

...and the basic egg crate hull. - the extra slot is for the mast, eventually.

colne

And the first filler blocks, in Jelutong - I'd forgotten that I had it. Age...

colne_1

Ta for looking and the kind comments

• Like 3

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Always room for another Coastal Sailing Boat

pull up a stool and start whittlin'

Kev

When you get to a certain age it's hard not to whittle; and sometimes in public too.

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, longshanks said:

What are the advantages of Jelutong?

It cuts like cheese, very popular with professional modellers, apparently. Harder than balsa but easily workable. If I still had a bandsaw I would have cut the hull out of solid  Jelutong, but I don't. The ancient second hand Hegner is turning out to be a disappointment as it's out of balance enough that it's like cutting with blurred vision. I replaced the balance weight with an updated version which helped, but not much. I've been using a hand jewellers saw to cut filler pieces...fun. I need to go slowly with this as there are things - like the framing and planking of the stern to work out. Haven't yet found any really useful reference, apart from a couple of small photos. I have a pretty good idea how it works...but...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still having issues with the drawings, possibly my software is at fault, or I'm getting old. There is, for instance a line on the plan view that just doesn't bloody well compute, it runs outside the actual width of the boat..What?? Anyway, the lines on the plan view are not water lines, says diagonals....but I don't know what to do with them.

I feel your pain. Looked through my reference material and I can find no use for diagonals. As you say the plan view is off little use,

Why not draw up your own waterlines using the sections, you could then develop more sections if that is what you are after.

Kev

I did a couple, but they're not right ...yet. What I find strange is if you look at the plan drawing with the lines marked as diagonals, one actually runs outside the waterline, which is the widest part of the boat...odd.It always gets iffy when your blowing up a scan of an illustration which is, of course, a scan. Takes a bit of squaring up! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress. Sorting how the hell the stern structure works has been a colossal headache...it's complicated, also unique to these smacks. So I decided to move up a scale and make life a bit easier on myself...I think.

So I'm building it somewhat the same way I did Scottish Maid - waterline etc.

August

Infilled again and the tail end timbers started, still some tricky angles etc. to sort out.

August_1

I suppose I should really work a bit neater - When I started this morning, it was, honest... doesn't take long for chaos to happen...

August_2

Whew!

• Like 7

Hello Seadog, it looks a good start to me!

It also looks like I ought to get some woodworking tools for myself too...

Looking forward to more progress, all the best,

Ray

OK, No, I haven't given up, I've been trying to sort out how the stern framing worked, since it isn't something I can carve out of solid. Found this video, and, incidentally, there are more by the same guy on things like Falmouth bay working boats and pilot Cutters - Yay! Some lovely shots of the stern framing. At some point i'll show you how many attempts at this boat have been relegated to the scrap heap, I must be on number 5(?) by now. I must be getting old..and picky.

• Like 2