1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe (Early)

On 8/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, CedB said:

Lovely work Stew, that little tank looks brilliant (cue Allo Allo...) :D 

Thanks Ced, and also thanks for the nostalgia trip :D 

On 8/20/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm pleased you're enjoing this Stew, but it looks like a lot of work!

Thanks mate - I'm sure you of all people will understand when I say there is work that is work, and work that is fun, and this fits very much into the latter category :) 

On 8/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've never really felt the desire to praise an oil-tank before, but the subtle (filter?) shading and weathering you've made contrast beautifully with the metallics.  :coolio:

Andy, similarly I have never had an oil-tank praised before, so it has been an experience for both of us; thanks :D 

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a tyre shop guy outside Prague a few years ago, when I needed to replace a tyre I had ripped open on a very rough kerb stone, a conversation that took place on his office PC using Google translate as he could not speak English and I cannot speak Czech.  At one point he seemed to be telling me that having non-matching front tyres could land me in trouble with the "shelves".  I can only assume that the Czech words for shelves and police are rather similar .

Love the IP and other internals, those Wingnut Wings kits really are works of art.

AW

Haha no you don't want to mess with the shelves :lol:

I got the metallic parts of the instrument panel painted in, the pictures don't really pick up the difference between the brass parts and the copper parts but I did use the specific colours required and you can see the difference in real life:

DSCN7442.jpg

Honest. I then added the tachometer:

DSCN7444.jpg

WNW instructions have you add the compass to the central bezel after the IP has been attached between the cockpit sides, I have no idea why this is but I assume there is a reason for it and will not attempt to second-guess them.

Finally I got on to the woodwork; here is the first part of the experiment ready to go with the oils mixed and left on an absorbent towel to soak off a bit of the linseed oil and thus hasten the drying time, as per the instructions:

DSCN7446.jpg

I scrubbed the oil paint on as thinly as I could, then tried to make a grain effect with a stiff brush. I wasn't entirely successful; this is what I ended up with:

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7448.jpg

DSCN7449.jpg

It's actually good enough for me. I was attempting to do it with the least possible effort involved so I cut as many corners as I could - there are a couple of things that might make a difference if you want to try this at home and perhaps get a better result:

• I have read that a clear varnish barrier between the undercoat and the oil paint can make the streaking a bit more pronounced
  • A stiffer brush might also have produced more noticeable woodgrain effect. My brush was not as stiff as I had hoped (it's the first time that has ever happened! :blush:)

However for a first attempt it is sufficient for my needs and was in no way difficult to do, so next time - should I need to do it again, and I may well - I might improve with practice. Actually come to think of it I have to do the internal wood panels in the cockpit, so I may be having a second attempt sooner than I thought. In the meantime these parts will get a few days to dry...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Looks great so far, Stew!! I'm taking notes as I've now treated myself to a WnW BR.1.

Re. the wood effect, I think it looks good. I used Tamiya thinned 'Clear Orange X-26' over the top of the wood on my Sopwith Camel. It was applied with a flat brush in one direction and it really brought out the 'wood-grain'. Might be worth a try on a bit of spare plastic to see what you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

10 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Might be worth a try on a bit of spare plastic to see what you think.

Thanks mate, I will check that out when I do the next session of woodery :D 

As I am still refraining from handling the wooden' parts until the oil paint has had a few days to cure, I faffed about a bit just to keep occupied...

These sub-assemblies have a habit of turning into little projects of their own; I masked off the unpainted (on the real aircraft I mean, not the plastic kit part) centre of the propeller and sprayed the blades with a near black mix:

DSCN7453.jpg

The rear faces of the blades were left in this colour, which was masked off so I could paint the forward faces of the blades in Ocean Grey:

DSCN7466.jpg

Then I removed the centre masking:

DSCN7467.jpg

Next the outer blades will be masked off again and the inner part subjected to a laminated wood effect, if I can do it, otherwise just a wood effect, (if I can do that).

Then I had a go at the seat back, which got a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade and a second wash of Seraphim Sepia followed by a dry-brush of Ushabti Bone for a highlight:

DSCN7455.jpg

Then I painted the leather edging in Citadel Rhinox Hide:

DSCN7463.jpg

That will do for me. I could have been doing something else to the interior, but that something else was masking off the many, tiny, wooden stringers running along the canvas part of the fuselage interior and, may the modelling goddess forgive me, I did one side and decided I just couldn't be bothered to do the other right now. Perhaps tomorrow :) 

Cheers

Stew

• Like 8

Seat looks splendid, you can almost hear the wicker creak!  :coolio:

Re:  Woodgrain.....Definitely put a Klear (or similar) coat over your base.  I apply tiny dots of oils to the part with a toothpick and then drag them around with a medium-small but thoroughly knackered old brush.  Once things have set up for a while (couple of hours) you can very, very lightly moisten the same brush with thinners and add some extra effects by removing pigment.  If you want to build up the effect in layers, another thin coat of Klear (or similar) will prevent you from destroying your earlier work (oils can be removed up to about a week later, ask me how I know). 

FWIW

• Thanks 1

Ditto the above remarks concerning the seat.

Although I haven't tried the oils technique yet for wood finishes (and I wonder whether it is worthwhile in 1/72), I do find that a coat of clear orange does wonders for the representation of varnished wood.

AW

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much gents :)

I found an unobtrusive area on which to test the Clear Orange addition; the underside of the seat - the frame I left unpainted to show the before/after effect:

DSCN7475.jpg

I know it still has ejector pin marks on it, Don't judge me; it's the underside of the seat and no-one was ever meant to see it again, However as a proof of concept it serves well enough and the results have impressed me - any thoughts please gents?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Looks like polished wood to me... nice :) 

PC I can’t view the video :( Not available in our country?

Alas perhaps not. A shame, but while Party Down is a very funny show, it's quintessentially American, so the humour might not travel well. (Says the guy who keeps using Swiss Toni lines on his wife...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Although the clip itself is not available for viewing in the UK the title of the clip conveyed, with some emphasis, your point, thanks mate :D

Cheers,

Stew

Edit - actually it appears some episodes at least are on YouTube so I may have to check up on it later - sadly I have to work today, my rubbish real-life job too :( 

• Like 1

I concur with PC and Ced,  the clear orange is the way to go for the varnished wood effect.  Clear yellow does the same thing for pine and other white woods.

AW

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents :)

I got wood!

DSCN7476.jpg

DSCN7477.jpg

DSCN7479.jpg

DSCN7480.jpg

Well perhaps not quite that excited by it :lol: but happy with how it turned out nevertheless; thanks for your advice :)

After that had been given a day to dry I set about painting the black mounting brackets for the various bits of equipment attached to the sidewall framing, I also painted the pipes and boxes prior to them receiving whatever metallic coat is appropriate:

DSCN7483.jpg

So some detail painting in my future today, and hopefully not long after that before I can begin sticking bits together! :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Thanks gents :cheers:

I got the detail painting and interior rigging done on some of the parts:

DSCN7485.jpg

DSCN7487.jpg

As you can probably see this involved some hardcore drill action; fortunately it turned out okay. I used the thicker grade of Infini lycra thread for the rigging (the 110 denier stuff). I also painted the strap and buckle on the fuel tank, though I think this will be hidden under the seat:

DSCN7491.jpg

The seat is currently having the belts fitted; after that will be the interior woodwork on the fuselage halves.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10