1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe (Early)

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That is some beautiful work on a seriously gorgeous looking kit, that cockpit is truly outstanding.  :coolio:

Once I've got my 2B1 Oka, a WnW kit has to be a priority target.....But which one?  :shrug:

FE.2b! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

FE.2b! 

We must share a sadistic streak (though perhaps slightly less pronounced on my part) as I was thinking of the soon-to-be-re-released DH.2 :lol: 

That said I wouldn't mind having a go at the Fee, it's an interesting looking aircraft, but I don't know if I'd ever actually get round to it... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 8:05 PM, wimbledon99 said:

All that magnificent work hidden away!! :sad:

I don't feel bad about it though, it's all been an enjoyable process so far and I do quite like the thought of all that detail being in there, just not really accessible :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

That said I wouldn't mind having a go at the Fee, it's an interesting looking aircraft, but I don't know if I'd ever actually get round to it... 

It's one of my favourite WWI aircraft. I feel the same. I want to have one, and yet...it's the same issue I have with those 1/700 Atlantic Models British destroyers. 

"The techniques and tactics of the English [in FE2bs] were amazing, their main principle being that each machine should not look after itself but its partner. Each one therefore protected the other against any attack by their German opponents, and each pair tried to attack the same foeman...the Englishmen refused to be rushed, and their steadiness gave them an absolute superiority. Meanwhile our machines tried to break their formation by a series of advances and retreats, like dogs attacking a hedgehog. They pirouetted and spiraled, but their movements exposed them to more risks than their opponents, who appeared to be invulnerable and unassailable."

-- Hans Schroeder, An Airman Remembers

I mean, come on! It's all my interests combined in one aircraft! Think of the synergy, Stew!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It's one of my favourite WWI aircraft. I feel the same. I want to have one, and yet...it's the same issue I have with those 1/700 Atlantic Models British destroyers. 

Mate, I totally understand; it's the modeller's version of the artists fear of the blank canvas, you don't want to start one of those pristine kits and, potentially, ruin it. I know the feeling myself, but I would very much like to see you try one of your WNW kits, I believe you would find it almost therapeutic and I know you could make a decent job of it too.

As for the destroyers, have you seen Jamie's thread on building resin kits? Might be time to grasp one of those nettles?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

As for the destroyers, have you seen Jamie's thread on building resin kits? Might be time to grasp one of those nettles?

I have, and I've also been the beneficiary of a lengthy series of Facebook messages on building one...well, let's see how much a 1/350 HMS Vigilant costs, I can do her as she looked when sinking the Haguro in---JESUS CHRIST! £104.50! 

I wonder what the 1/700 ones are like.

• Haha 4

On the subject of details that will never be seen again: before joining the fuselage halves it is necessary (though not particularly desirable) to fit the tailskid. I drilled the required holes for the tailskid steering cables and grubbied-up the interior a little with some Citadel Agrax Earthshade wash to bring out the details a bit and give an impression of wear, While I was looking at how the tailskid fitted I noticed there are some metal mounting plates and bars on the wooden frame, so these and the tailskid were painted in near-black:

DSCN7559.jpg

And with three strategically placed micro-blobs of gel superglue, the tailskid was fitted:

DSCN7560.jpg

Like most of the kit it clicked into place in a very satisfying manner once the mating surfaces were cleared of paint. Next step should be joining the fuselage halves... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Thanks Ced :) 

I fitted the exhaust blanks:

DSCN7563.jpg

... and joined the fuselage halves:

DSCN7566.jpg

I managed to get a faint step on the fuselage underside which means I had done something wrong, given the precise fit of everything else. However it was sanded smooth without troubles. I painted the inside floor of the cockpit moulded on the lower wing:

DSCN7568.jpg

I did remember to drill the holes for the bomb-rack first :) 

I'm at a bit of a loss how to proceed now, the instructions - and logic - dictate the fitting of the lower wing, which I have now done and which is currently setting. I'd like to leave the upperwing off as long as possible, and the tail surfaces, for ease of painting and rigging but I imagine painting the fuselage and wings now before they are all joined might be more practical... anyway I believe the assembly of the engine is next, so that gives me a bit more time to decide how best to proceed...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Nice work Stew :) 

I've always ben impressed by Joe's (Fatboydim) models and he always 'finishes' the parts separately then assembles them at the end. He explained his method here.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stew, this is more like ship modelling than cantilever-monoplane aircraft modelling now and when I read your last post my mind immediately leapt to one of those points in ship modelling where it's prudent to test the fit then paint subassemblies separately because fully assembling will box you into a corner.

I wouldn't even for a moment consider trying to paint the underside of the top wing in doped linen around cabane and interplane struts which are a different colour.

Painting separately has to be the way forward IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Ced :) 

I fitted the exhaust blanks:

DSCN7563.jpg

... and joined the fuselage halves:

DSCN7566.jpg

I managed to get a faint step on the fuselage underside which means I had done something wrong, given the precise fit of everything else. However it was sanded smooth without troubles. I painted the inside floor of the cockpit moulded on the lower wing:

DSCN7568.jpg

I did remember to drill the holes for the bomb-rack first :) 

I'm at a bit of a loss how to proceed now, the instructions - and logic - dictate the fitting of the lower wing, which I have now done and which is currently setting. I'd like to leave the upperwing off as long as possible, and the tail surfaces, for ease of painting and rigging but I imagine painting the fuselage and wings now before they are all joined might be more practical... anyway I believe the assembly of the engine is next, so that gives me a bit more time to decide how best to proceed...

Cheers,

Stew

I painted all the wings, tail-plane and tail-fin separately when I did my Camel build then did the final assembly, but forgot to add the rigging to the lower wing  which makes things easier! I also didn't take care when aligning the upper wing and has dried a bit skew-whiff!!

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

On 9/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, DaveyGair said:

I painted all the wings, tail-plane and tail-fin separately when I did my Camel build then did the final assembly

I think that might be the way forward, thanks :) 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, DaveyGair said:

I also didn't take care when aligning the upper wing and has dried a bit skew-whiff!!

Duly noted, thanks Davey,

Cheers,

Stew

• 1 month later...

Apologies gents, I'm not going to get this one done in time, have suffered a serious mojo-deflation and am currently packing ready to get up to Aberdeen prior to setting off for Telford...

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Apologies gents, I'm not going to get this one done in time, have suffered a serious mojo-deflation and am currently packing ready to get up to Aberdeen prior to setting off for Telford...

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Stew

Noooooo! This was coming along beautifully (and was my reference material for when I build mine :whistle: )

Oh well, hope your mojo returns soon. 

Safe travels 🛅

• Thanks 2