Grumman Widgeon / Gosling Seaplane ++FINISHED++

Couldn't resist the temptation to start another kit, especially as it just sneaks into the 1950's (1959) so here it is the Grumman Widgeon / Gosling. 

I will be building the FAA version, thereby using the same paints (hopefully) as my recent Barracuda.

Without wishing to tempt fate but I'm hoping going by the small number of parts it should be a quick build. I am already regretting typing that, but there's no going back now.

IMG_3959

Mandatory unstarted components shot below along with the painting guide for the version I'm doing.

IMG_3967

IMG_3966

Wish me luck

cheers Pat

• Like 8

Some progress.

As I was warned the fit of the parts is a challenge, however the secret seems to be filing the location pins down to make them thinner. I trial fitted the fuselage together and it didn't fit at all, however after reducing the thickness of the pins it seems to fit really well.

this of course will no doubt be tempting fate and trigger lots of problems later but so far so good.

IMG_3968

cheers Pat

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Goodness me has it really been this long since I posted an update !

This shows you why I won't be including the pilot !

IMG_4005

I was warned that nothing would fit, and they were right

IMG_4006

IMG_4008

IMG_4007

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Following on more recent photo, iPad problems have caused me to loose other picture.

IMG_3992

i did some painting tonight whilst doing a bit on the Blitzbuild project. I will post more up to date pictures later

cheers Pat

• Like 6

If nothing else Pat, those hugely mis-matching seams will give you plenty of filing and blending practice (not that any of us needs that!). Looks like you might have tamed this beast in that last photo so a big tick for you for getting to this stage. You might want to reward yourself with a Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat after this ordeal?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If nothing else Pat, those hugely mid-matching seams will give you plenty of filing and blending practice (not that any of us needs that!). Looks like you might have tamed this beast in that last photo so a big tick for you for getting to this stage. You might want to reward yourself with a Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat after this ordeal?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave

I haven't built a Tamiya kit in years, I must treat myself to one, just to remember that every build does need to be a battle, in fact it could even become a pleasure !  :idea:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Gosh. You have had a battle on your hands with this one but it looks like you’re nearly there. If it’s any consolation, the kit has always been that bad (I have a shocking looking baggie in my stash), so it’s not just a case of tired mouldings in a red box. At least with a modern boxing the decals should be registered correctly and usable!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

That’s good to know Adrian. At one point I was thinking that age has not been kind to these moulds however if it’s always been this bad then yes - a new red box with good decals is the way to go. I’m finding the thought of taking to this monstrosity with a heap of files and sandpaper somewhat appealing for sorme bizarre reason. I’m not sure if its a challenge or a death wish - probably somewhere in between. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is an Airfix kit I have yet had the pleasure(?) of building. Looking at the raw material is a bit daunting to say the least. I suspect the same designer had a hand in the DH88 mould.

Having said that, it looks like you are taking no nonsense from the kit, and will be turning out a very presentable model, as usual. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 3

Stand by your beds....... It's finished

Pictures below, the next time someone says it should be easy there are only a few parts. Be kind, just smile and walk away !

Pictures below, let me know what you think

IMG_4040

IMG_4041

IMG_4042

IMG_4043

now to get back to that stalled Hampden !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

From the photos you showed us earlier, this has come up very well indeed Pat. You have managed to file her into shape and it certainly looks the part. Well modelled and thanks for taking up the challenge with this ‘not exactly’ easy kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

the next time someone says it should be easy there are only a few parts. Be kind, just smile and walk away !

...and there lies the problem - you make it LOOK easy - Lovely job.

• Like 3