Cheap Airbrush for Primer

nheather

I have two Iwata airbrushes, an Eclipse (0.35mm) and an HP-Plus (0.2mm).

Wouldn’t mind a 0.5mm just for primer (like Stynylrez).

But as I will just be spraying a base on relatively large areas (mostly 1:35 armour) it seems a waste to spend a good chunk of money on a decent airbrush.

At the same time, pointless buying junk.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Cheers,

Nigel

Personally I've had little success using an airbrush for primer and prefer to use aerosols instead. However, one airbrush that proved better then most for priming was the GSI Creos Procon Boy SQ. 0.4mm tip, single action, very simple to use and clean and sprayed primer quite nicely.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10411364

• Thanks 1

Or if you want to use a dedicated airbrush for priming so you don't have to bother with perfect cleaning you can always go for the cheaper Iwatas or H&S. I use the 0.4mm nozzle in my Ultra for large areas, works beautifully. I also have a cheapo (BD-180) with a 0.5mm nozzle, but every now and then it becomes a pain in the backside because of the poor quality seals. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, little-cars said:

Why not just get the 0.5mm nozzle set for the Eclipse you already have ???

Paul

I actually already have that, bought for that purpose, but perhaps I’m being silly, I prefer not to use it because primer sticks to everything like mad and takes some vigorous cleaning to remove, and I’d prefer not to do that on the elcipse.  I also prefer not to keep taking it apart to swap parts about.

I also have an old Badger 200 single action, internal mix, suction feed.  I’m not sure what the nozzle size is though because badger just use fine, medium, large for this model.  Mine is a medium but when I tried it with stynylrez neat (as instructed) I got frequent clogging.  Stynlyrez instructions recommend a 0.5mm, but not sure what my Badger 200 is.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Any single action, external mix brush will do - I quite like my Paasche H. I bought the deluxe kit with 3 nozzles and a selection of pot and jars, but they're also available in a simple blister pack with no frills. Bulletproof, foolproof and about as complicated as a pushrod V8 (ie not complicated at all).

• Thanks 1

What do you guys think of side feed airbrushes.

The Sparmax DH-125 has caught my eye as a 0.5mm airbrush that my serve my purpose.  The only thing that is unusual is that it has a side feed - good because you can have a gravity fed cup or suction fed bottles, but wondering whether that makes it awkward to clean.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 hours ago, nheather said:

I’ve got a side feed airbrush that came with my ebay/Amazon El’ Cheapo compressor. I tried it out for a lark (it actually worked quite well!), but didn’t really get on with it. After using a gravity fed brush for so long it just felt unnatural in the hand, although I guess you’d get used to it. I also found cleaning it out to be a bit of a palaver.

Mart

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

I also found cleaning it out to be a bit of a palaver.

It's the cleaning bit that concerns me, especially as I will be using a primer that sticks to anything like mad.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 8/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, nheather said:

The Sparmax DH-125 has caught my eye as a 0.5mm airbrush that my serve my purpose.  The only thing that is unusual is that it has a side feed - good because you can have a gravity fed cup or suction fed bottles, but wondering whether that makes it awkward to clean.

Cheers,

Nigel

The brush I would ideally go for would be one of the Sparmax  trigger brushes.  The GP-50 is Side Fed trigger brush, two large side feed paint cups, solidly built. Spares are available and it retails at £90.   There is another version of the brush at the same price which has a fan pattern & large top fed cup (can also have a round pattern spray) the GP-825.  Great for large area spraying..  

Sparmax GP-50

Sparmax GP-825

But if you are looking more around the £50-£60  mark the DH-125 is a well thought out brush.  0.5mm nozzle is big enough, and it is flexible in paint handling. There is a side fed 7mm paint cup and the brush can also accept a 22ml glass bottle feed and an 80ml plastic bottle for very large areas.  There is also a straight through air valve if you want the air on all the time, you just pull the trigger back to paint       

Not a bad bundle for the money. 

Sparmax DH-125

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I find my Iwata HP-TH, with its 0.5mm nozzle, is perfect for priming, base colors, and clear coats. It includes round and fan nozzle caps; I prefer the fan cap, but some don't. I use an CH (0.3mm) for everything else, including priming small parts.

My primer of choice is thinned Mr Surfacer 1000 or 1200. Like all Mr Color, it sprays beautifully, leaving a smooth finish. While I try to polish out all scratches &etc. before I prime, it does a fine job of filling those in while leaving detail and panel lines fully intact.