Varnish has cooked up.... HELP!!

McNab

Hi everyone, not sure if this is where I post such a shout for help but as I couldn't find a 'HELP!' forum I will post it here.

Problem: WnW early Snipe. Top wing, painted  with Tamiya acrylics, then sprayed with Humbrol gloss enamel varnish. Transfers applied, then sprayed with light coat of Humbrol Matt enamel varnish. Like a hundred times before. Obviously, all normal time spans observed between the above stages.

It's cooked up! BwaaaaaaaaaH! Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

A very disappointed modeller :(

8 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Hello and just to clarify what you mean by cooked - do you mean it has gone cloudy?   

no unfortunately it has lifted off the surface and gone wrinkly

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

And humbrol loses another customer...

anyone else left that still actually buys their products? 

I think I was probably the last… Still new to this hobby lark and I chose humbrol out of historical ermm, what's the word? habit from those decades ago when I modelled before

Anyway… after some umming and arring, and squinting at the problem from different angles, I thought well bugger it, nothing to lose, so I took some masking tape and used it to strip off the varnish. Rather like waxing a bikini line (or so I am reliably informed)Hey presto, it worked, and I am left with a largely rescuable (is that a word?) top wing with all it's acrylic paint intact and only a little renovation work to do. But cor blimey, no more of that Humbrawl stuff, not good for my nerves.

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a close escape there.  The usual problem with matt varnish is it going cloudy, and I can bore people to death with that one (TL;DR - shake the bottle like your life depends on it).  This one either hasn't mixed properly in other ways, or it's a faulty bottle.  Choose a new one & take it from there.  People like W&N Galleria, and I like AKAN flat, but as with 'em all you have to shake them really well or one day they'll go cloudy. :shrug:

• Like 1

Hello and yes products have been developed and things have moved on.  The research put in by the Japanese have left Humbrol so far behind with regard to the quality of the products. 

We all started using Humbrol products, enamels, glue etc.  but I personally don’t use anything produced by them now. I have been let down by them. 

Andrew.  

22 hours ago, McNab said:
On 8/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, Tony Oliver said:

And humbrol loses another customer...

anyone else left that still actually buys their products? 

I think I was probably the last… Still new to this hobby lark and I chose humbrol out of historical ermm, what's the word? habit from those decades ago when I modelled before

yup.  i've only got humbrol stuff in my inventory.  not couling 1 tamiya rattle can and a few assorted paints of revell and tamiya a friend gave to me

Edited by SA80A2AR
  • Like 1