Airbrushing practice....Academy 1:72 F-104G.....Do i get a sticker?!

Needed some more airbrushing practice, so whilst grabbing an Airfix Hawk and a Hasegawa Jaguar i thought id pick up the cheapest model in the shop to have a go on. It turned out to be the Academy F-104. Having just done the hasegawa F-104 i thought maybe it wouldn't be too different........

Ok, lets start with the bad points! The Engine intakes are round instead of pointy, the canopy is way to big (and bizarrely the detail is printed on the inside!!!!) there's no insides to speak of, there's no cockpit details at all, there's no proper ejector seat, the exhaust is very basic, and the pilot looks like being the size of an 11 year old (and there's probably loads more technical issues with it that an expert would rip apart!)

However, it went together beautifully, very little sanding or filling and i actually enjoyed making it, and in the end, isn't that what its all about??!!! 

The airbrushing went quite well, and it was looking nice until i put the decals on with some Humbrol decalfix, then everything went white/silvery :( managed to restore most of it through some gloss varnish, but sadly had to cover the rest the best i could with weathering, which was a shame as i wanted to do it clean!!!! Had to try and cut back and rebuild the engine intakes, which is why they dont look too good, and arent in line with the break of colours but i couldn't do much about that!!!

Finished as Marineflieger's 26+65 using the unused Hasegawa decals

Anyway with all that in mid, a few pics:

43063322474_c020e73d3b_b.jpgAcademy 1.72 F-104G 26+65-2 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

43063321714_478f663025_b.jpgAcademy 1.72 F-104G 26+65-6 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

43063321944_0c5a879a0c_b.jpgAcademy 1.72 F-104G 26+65-5 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

43063322174_d0d718c3ec_b.jpgAcademy 1.72 F-104G 26+65-4 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

41971100590_a64f106585_b.jpgAcademy 1.72 F-104G 26+65-1 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Jon

Edited by jonf45
  • Like 27

Ok, I linked the pictures from my phone to my 4k TV. Then ruthlessly zoomed in until the pixels screamed. So now your little F104 is 3 feet long in front of me.

So now the flaws you mention are clearly obvious. A bit of silvering around the decals but the airbrushing is nicely done.   

But once you reduce the pictures to a more sensible size it all disappears. 

You definitely deserve a sticker

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks Ok to me. I'm not that familiar with the F-104 but the canopy does look strange?

Did you gloss coat before decaling, generally decals don't like being put onto a matt finish, the air gets trapped over the rough matt surface and when the decal dries ends up looking 'silvered', that's not to say a gloss coat always works as I've found out plenty of times!

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys! Seeing that at 3 ft long I think would be a bit much!!! 

Yeah the canopy looks like it would be better suited to a 2 seat version imo!

Was gloss coated with a couple thin layers then decals, seemed ok with ones just using water but ones I used a little decalfix to try and get to cling to grooves etc went very white/silvery.  Managed to get them back to decentish level by putting some more gloss on, then used only water to apply the rest and they went ok, hence assuming it was the decalfix?!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

You've done a fine job and given you bought it to practice airbrushing with, it served your purpose very well. You can be well pleased with it.

On 8/1/2018 at 2:37 PM, DaveyGair said:

I'm not that familiar with the F-104 but the canopy does look strange?

It certainly is :(. Nonetheless, it’s always good to see a Starfighter! 

Martin