1/144 - Fokker F-50 by Eastern Express - released

Homebee

After the F-27 (link) Eastern Express is to release 1/144th Fokker F-50 kits

Source: http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress?start=405#36611

- ref. E144126 - Fokker 50

- ref. E144126-1 - Fokker 50 "Austrian"

- ref. E144126-2 - Fokker 50 "Iberia Regional"

- ref. E144126-3 - Fokker 50 "Air Baltic"

- ref. E144126-4 - Fokker 50 "SAS Eurolink"

- ref. E144126-5 - Fokker 50 "Virgin Australia"

- ref. E144126-6 - Fokker 50 "Fly VLM"

7dd06e87a03e4aa6b48c9401648a727c.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

That's a really hefty price tag  for what is actually going to be quite a small model. The E E range has a lot of attractive subjects but, quite frankly I think they are seriously overpriced. Just my personal angle of course but, it certainly put me right off a lot of their kits.

Allan

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Waaaaaayyy too expensive for what you get. :nah:

Yep!! I bought one of their dash-8 models recently. Sadly, it is a beautiful model with some neat panel detailing and smooth surfaces, which all bodes well for their future Q400 model. I say sadly because even buying it from the cheapest seller on eBay, I still paid nearly £35 for it. Too much for what you get and too much for me to buy any more. And if the F50 is based on their F27, then it may very well be underscale. 

Eastern Express really have made good inroads to tackling the airliner model market and offering models of aircraft that have been overlooked or previously poorly portrayed. But they seem to be asking us to pay highly for this privilege. 

I'd buy a lot more of their models (even the underscale F27) if they cut their price by even a third, but I won't hold my breath.

Jeff

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 9:14 AM, janneman36 said:

Could have been nice, but for that price i am amazed that they didn't alter the wingtips....that still is a very specific feature....

It looks to me that they used the old F27 wings 🤔

Cheers, Jan

Ha ha! I didn't notice that.

But having looked at the hobbyterra pictures, on another frame with the main wheels there appears to be something that could possibly be used as the wingtips. But I doubt I'll buy one at that price.

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Yep!! I bought one of their dash-8 models recently. Sadly, it is a beautiful model with some neat panel detailing and smooth surfaces, which all bodes well for their future Q400 model. I say sadly because even buying it from the cheapest seller on eBay, I still paid nearly £35 for it. Too much for what you get and too much for me to buy any more. And if the F50 is based on their F27, then it may very well be underscale. 

Eastern Express really have made good inroads to tackling the airliner model market and offering models of aircraft that have been overlooked or previously poorly portrayed. But they seem to be asking us to pay highly for this privilege. 

I'd buy a lot more of their models (even the underscale F27) if they cut their price by even a third, but I won't hold my breath.

Jeff

How much underscale?

I measured it at about 1/147. I was initially comparing it to my Doyusha kit and realised that they were quite a bit different in size

20180216_011726.jpg

Here both fuselage halves are lined up on the underside - grey being Eastern Express, white Doyusha.

Then comparing to numerous dimensions found in my reference books and on line the Doyusha kit pretty much scales out in size but the EE kit is some 3mm too short 

20180218_164123.jpg

20180218_163953.jpg

20180218_164035.jpg

In all the photos above, the same part of the models have been aligned, for example the nose tips, wing root, undersides.

It is annoying but whether or not anyone would notice or even care is debatable.

Jeff

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I measured it at about 1/147. I was initially comparing it to my Doyusha kit and realised that they were quite a bit different in size

20180216_011726.jpg

Here both fuselage halves are lined up on the underside - grey being Eastern Express, white Doyusha.

Then comparing to numerous dimensions found in my reference books and on line the Doyusha kit pretty much scales out in size but the EE kit is some 3mm too short 

20180218_164123.jpg

20180218_163953.jpg

20180218_164035.jpg

In all the photos above, the same part of the models have been aligned, for example the nose tips, wing root, undersides.

It is annoying but whether or not anyone would notice or even care is debatable.

Jeff

Thanks so much. I have one and it did strike me as a little dainty. Sold my old Doyusha on when I downsized the collection when I moved house a few years ago, a mistake apparently—the Doyusha not the move. Thanks again for all your effort, more than I could have hoped for.

Bill

• Like 1

Trying my best not to sound like a hypocrite, I did buy a few when Ray at 26decals was offering them with a set of his decals recently. 

The EE kits are usually cheaper from 26decals which makes me think that either Ray is selling at a loss (not a good business move, therefore unlikely) or EE are overpricing their kits by some rather large extent 🤔.

I will keep an eye on 26decals to see if Ray will have some EE Fokker F50 or dash-8 kits on offer...grab a bargain or two!

Edit: the size difference is annoying (as is the price) but I think a bit of strategic placing on your completed shelf will disguise its dainty nature.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

On 10/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Trying my best not to sound like a hypocrite, I did buy a few when Ray at 26decals was offering them with a set of his decals recently. 

The EE kits are usually cheaper from 26decals which makes me think that either Ray is selling at a loss (not a good business move, therefore unlikely) or EE are overpricing their kits by some rather large extent 🤔.

I will keep an eye on 26decals to see if Ray will have some EE Fokker F50 or dash-8 kits on offer...grab a bargain or two!

Edit: the size difference is annoying (as is the price) but I think a bit of strategic placing on your completed shelf will disguise its dainty nature.

Jeff

Agreed, and I will keep an eye on Ray’s website.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:15 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Jeff

I'm far from being a fan of Eastern Express and it's not in my nature to defend them but I suspect the pricing issue isn't with EE themselves. Their KLM DC-9-30 is on the PAS website priced at 1300.00 RUB which is just under £15, what you'd expect to pay for something like the Revell A320. The same kit is on Hannants website at £37.60. PAS have the EE "Airport Support" sets at 950.00 RUB or about £11 while Emodels have them priced at £29.99 (!) and there are plenty of other such examples to be found. There is clearly a serious rip-off happening somewhere - the addition of import duties and UK VAT cannot account for such a wide price differential. Ray might be doing his own importing to keep the price down but however he's managing it, good on him.

• 4 weeks later...