Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB

This is a project I started a while ago and put on hold. I have decided to get it done along with the Do 217 I'm doing.

I glued the fuselage together tonight. Of course it needs a lot of tiding up. I had my usual mishap when I glued the side panels from the inside. Trouble was I didn't notice the glue had gone right through and I ended up with a finger print. So it will need sanding and the panel lines redone.
    Don't expect a professional job from me. I have a bad tremor that makes modelling quite difficult at times. I don't let it beat me, I say to myself just do your best and be happy with the result. 

P7310056

I have added an image of my last project the Ju 87G-2 which is the plane that I lost the middle canopy on and had to use another kit’s one. Hence it is not the best fit. Anyway it demonstrates where I'm at. 

P7310061

I will improve my photos later. This was done as a test. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 14

37 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Trouble was I didn't notice the glue had gone right through and I ended up with a finger print.

Hello Greg ... Gluey fingerprints are an obligatory thing when it comes to modelling. If i ever build a kit that didnt have one id be afraid. 😉

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next stage underway. I have filled and sanded the Fuselage and glued the wings in place. I have to say the fit was really bad. I had to put a plastic infill on the right wing joint.

The left should be ok to fill. 

P8020001

• Like 6

Hi Greg

Good work so far. I am gladding to hear  you're not going to let your tremor beat you. Your Stuka looks really nice fella. 

I have the Italeri Typhoon in the stash to do one day. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

I'm have decided to double up on thread because I don't want to start too many threads. So I will be adding my Frog Blenheim build to it. These are being built at the same time as a result it will be more of a current build thread.

I will post the Blenheim progress images today. The Blenheim is a Russian Frog kit that a friend gave me years ago. It was totally covered with flash. I literally had to dig the engines out of it. I am modifying the kit a bit with a new Eduard cockpit and rescribing the whole model. I'M up to scribing the fuselage. This is my first time I have done scribing. The wings started bad, but by the time I  did the last side I had worked out how to do it.The wings are not the best fit, so I need to adjust them. The canopy fits quite well. I will have to be careful putting it on.

Greg Law

Edited by Sea

On 05/08/2018 at 11:42, Thom216 said:

That Stuka was with a tremor?! I have no more excuses... Lovely work on the Typhoon.

If you look at the Ju 87's elevator you will notice the fit to the fuselage isn't that good. This is a result of my tremor making the plane jump out of my hand and the elevator broke off. I couldn't get it to fit well again. So it was just a case of getting the model done. It had taken about four years with this one.

Greg Law

Edited by Sea
  • Like 1

I made an account just to post on this thread.  I have bad hand tremors as well and know how hard things can be especially on the interior (thank god for the girlfriend some days).  I have had to reweld seams after paint cause the hand will shake and the plane meets the floor lol.  I just thought it was funny that I am also making the same typhoon right now.  keep up the good work that 87 looks great.  Actually gave me the motivation to get mine down off the shelf of half finished products.  Keep up the good work 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Just to show progress. This is the Azure blue bottom surfaces using Vallejo paint. I think it might be a bit blue. However, I can live with that. It is on a black base with white patches added. I'm trying to decide whether to give it another coat or accept it as is. 

I'n edging to leaving it as is. You can see the scheme I'm going for in the top left of the photo. 

typhoon image 5

• Like 5

I added the extra coat which has improved the paint work. I'm wondering how long I should wait before I mask it. It is Vallejo paint and I understand it is a bit sensitive to masking.

Can someone answer this query?

Edited by Greg Law

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, here it was!

I kind of liked that picture of the first Azure blue through, since it was patchy enough for a worn look (to my eyes att least).

Cannot really say how much time Vallejo needs  to harden fully, but surely one day must be enough?

Edited by Christer A

Ok, here is the next progress shot. This is the masking for the Dark earth. I have already painted it. The only problem is I missed two areas of the fill masking so will have to go back and mask them again for Middle stone. The strange thing is I missed exactly the same areas when I did the Do 217. A case of "Repeat please" You can see it here on the right wing by the fuselage the other is typically under the right elevator. 

masked typoon1

• Like 3

One more progress shot. 

I have the main paint work done on the Typhoon now.

I had to mask it about four times in different areas. It is not a prefect finish, but that is the way I want it. Gives a feeling of desert ware.

I have to cut the gun barrels off to install the uncovered metal ones that arrived yesterday. Still it is progress.

Has anyone used the Red Roo decals. I always have trouble with decals that stick too quickly, so I like to be warned before I start if there are any issues when it comes to decals. 

typhoon image 6

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 6

Seen as no ones interested in this project. I am going to keep putting up progress images. anyway. 😎

This is the metal canon mounts installed. I see this as a bit tricky. I drilled out with 3.5mm drill. Graduating up from a 1mm start drill.

Then I took to it with a small round file and slowly widened it until the canon slipped in the hole. You must be very careful not to

lose it into the wing. This could easily happen. I'm going to wrap the end of the canons with masking tap once the wing covers are on 

to prevent them accidentally being knocked into the wing during the build. 

typhoon image 7

• Like 6

On 08/03/2019 at 08:32, Christer A said:

Ah, here it was!

I kind of liked that picture of the first Azure blue through, since it was patchy enough for a worn look (to my eyes att least).

Cannot really say how much time Vallejo needs  to garden fully, but surely one day must be enough?

I added another coat which helped. I will be weathering it as I go along. You will notice the middle stone is uneven. That I'm leaving as is. 

I think you did a terrific job with the top colors!

They came out just fine, with the modulation of the Mid Stone being extra tasty.

I must applaud your bravery in drilling and filing for the metal canons after main painting! That would've led to large amount of sanding/filling and a messy paintjob for me :(

• Thanks 1

There is still going to be a bit of patch up work. I had no choice as the metal guns arrived after I had started painting and I didn't want to waste the canon parts. 

Still I will be see how it ends up.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 08:32, Christer A said:

Ah, here it was!

Cannot really say how much time Vallejo needs  to garden fully, but surely one day must be enough?

I added another coat which helped. I will be weathering it as I go along. You will notice the middle stone is uneven. That I'm leaving as is. 

Well I pushed one of the canons into the wing as expected while I was shaping the rings to the leading edge. I should have put the

tape on earlier. Still I managed to split the wing without much damage, so with a bit of effort all should be well tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Even though it's not my scale Greg, I'll look in now I've found it, I've the Red Roo set in 1/72 & guess your trials will be broadly applicable. I don't think much of the cannon design if they can be lost internally like that, something to watch on 1/72 ones as well no doubt. I like what I'm seeing to date.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz