Hello Everyone ... I am jumping in with a build for this if you dont mind. I have an Eduard 1/72 Fokker DR.1. Though i am a fan of the Red Baron and his Red Fokker. There are at least two of them in this build now. I have been a fan of Lothar von Richthofen for awhile and so I will be building his Yellow Fokker DR.1. This will be my third bi-plane build since coming back to the hobby a few years ago. It will be my 1st build of a bi-plane with rigging. I have to try that sooner or later. So here is the chosen scheme for my build.

xvUvMaC.jpg

Here is my actual kit.

B9Vq9qS.jpg

Sprue shots.

VOWkKhX.jpg

Again this will be a first for me with rigging. I intend to do my best and get as close to reality as possible, but may cheat a little in the end. I do have Lothar’s fokker’s serial # as it came as an option in the Revell Fokker kit. To be honest i also have a Roden Fokker D.VIIF with Goering’s snow white colors & markings as well. The only thing that stopped me was the Rodens reputation. I will save that until i have a few more bi-planes under my belt. 

I give advance warning as this is my 3rd build on my desk so progress will be slow until i get those builds to paint. If you have questions, comments, or jokes please feel free to do so. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

Hi Dennis

It's nice to see another Dr.1 in the GB and especially nice that it won't be red.  When I started to research my own (red) Dr.1, I was surprised how many colourful alternatives there were.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This will be my third bi-plane build since coming back to the hobby a few years ago.

🤔

You are very welcome to jump in, another Dr.1 will be good to see - and it's a change of colour :)

• Like 1

The Eduard DR1 is a nice little kit and goes together without too much trouble and is a lot of fun.  Only thing to watch out for is to ensure the undercarriage is properly lined up.  Rigging is relatively easy being confined to between the cabanes and the undercarriage struts.

Certainly easier than any Roden kits, I have hade a Roden Camel on the go for just about all year, I keep putting it aside and coming back to it when I can summon the nerve.  The DVII I am doing in this group build (also yellow) is also pretty fiddly and the lower wing to fuselage join looks like it is going to be, shall we say, interesting.

AW

• Like 1

Hello everybody ... With some trepidation I will make a start on my Little Yellow Fokker tomorrow. My F-102 is become a filler 🐷 so Its losing a bit of steam. My Mig is doing fine but i will need a Third build so i can fill gaps while glue or filler is setting/drying. I need to study the instructions so i know where to drill for rigging. I have the rigging line from Uschi ? 

Dennis

Hello everyone ... Well I jumped in the proverbial deep end with the Fokker today. I painted a base linen/dope color on the upper surfaces and the innards. 

uqx51q1.jpg

CtlcQUx.jpg

This will be repeated with a Light blue linen for the lowers. After that this will get the streaked fokker green camouflage over the uppers. Eventually the Yellow will be added over the green. I followed the interior doped linen by adding the wood panels on the interior.

aGZBFvq.jpg

These are just roughed in, they will get woodgrain and detail yet. Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect. After all this is only my 3rd attempt at a bi-plane ever. More later tonight. 

Dennis

PS - I got smart and decided to translate my instruction sheet which is in Czech. Turns out the interior color is olive. So I repainted the inner parts correctly. 

• Like 8

Hello everyone ... I painted the Blue lowers using Tamiya light blue. It looked better compared to the RLM 65. I have most of the interior painted and will start to build the fuselage tonight.

ujW7xRj.jpg

Once thats done i assembled the fuselage. But i need to touch that up after i fix the seams. I then started the Fokker streaking camouflage on the wings and forward fuselage. It will also need touch ups before i can move forward. 

zQ2cl2e.jpg

I will have to blend a red for the ”Jasta 11” cowling, wheel covers, struts, & landing gear legs. Enough for tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Great choice and good to see a DR.1 in one of the many attractive colours which aren't red. Personally i find the red aircraft which Manfred von Richthofen flew not very exiting - but the man himself was a legend!

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody ... well this is slowly inching forward. I have it mocked up with the mid wing. The lower wing is glued on and some filler is drying. kSdjAnA.jpg

I know the red cowling seems real dark but it should lighten up a bit with a clear coat. I meed to retouch some of the green streaks there was a bit of grit in the paint and i rubbed it down with 2000 grit. I will post more later. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone ... Been a couple days since I posted on this or my other builds. Today i got around to clearcoating the Fokker. I then masked and sprayed the white panels for the German Crosses on the upper wings and Fuselage. 

36WoxXo.jpg

I think the Red I blended works good its a bit darker like it should be. I made a custom red using 4 parts Vallejo red and 1 part USN glossy sea blue. It gave it the right tones to my eye. Tomorrow I will mask the white and the rest of the plane so i can spray the yellow.

I also used a piece of brass tubing for the prop shaft in the intention of getting the prop/engine to spin. Sadly the glue hadnt dried when i went and mounted the engine on the shaft and its now a solid piece. As is my usual Questions, Comments, or Jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Lookng good Dennis, the red looks good to me - good luck with the yellow parts, that can be a very difficult colour to use, but at least the original aircraft appears to have a streaky yellow finish so you've got some leeway there :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody I painted the yellow on the Fokker today. Considering the color is yellow and that yellow is supposed to be very hard to paint and get a decent finish. I think it went well. Heres the Fokker as it sits currently. 

kAoBnTK.jpg

bmAeHdY.jpg

The upper wing isnt as opaque as the rear of the fuselage. Thats by design. Ive done a bit of research on Lothar’s fokker. If the upper wing was painted it was most likely less colorful than the rest of the yellow. The few photo’s taken after his crash show the upper wing to be a darker color and tend to be a bit streaky like the standard camouflage. So this is my interpretation of the plane correct or not. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

On 7/31/2018 at 5:46 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

To be honest i also have a Roden Fokker D.VIIF with Goering’s snow white colors & markings as well. The only thing that stopped me was the Rodens reputation.

Wise! One of the more excruciating build experiences I've ever had. 

• Sad 1