Scratchbuilt Ferrari 375MM ... another woodie.

OK, so this is the real reason I abandoned the Maserati build.    I scored a collection of small pieces of exotic woods and couldn't wait to start making sawdust.

Once again I returned to one of my favourite cars ... a '54 Ferrari 375MM which I photographed at a local race in '54!    Imagine my excitement as a 15 year old when some guy showed up at a local club race in one of these and blew the doors off every MG TC in sight!

So, I haven't done a build log of this one as my last "woodie"  understandably didn't generate much interest but I have quite a few pics if anyone is curious.

This model has fenders/bonnet carved from padauk with a black ebony "stripe" down the middle and that is bordered by a whitish veneer.   I decided to make the windshield from ebony because ... well, I wanted to.

The finish is built up from layers of shellac then many sprayed coats of gloss lacquer.   Why not just use lacquer? did someone ask?    Well, most exotics are very tight grain and tend to be oily and it seems shellac is best as a base coat.   Each coat of lacquer gets wet sanded (1000) before the next coat goes on.    After the final wet sand it gets polished with a quality rubbing compound then waxed.

I don't know what goes on in my camera when I try to photograph wood but it seems to want to exaggerate the grain.   Oh well, it is what it is.

Frank

43739354731_bee83b5b85_c.jpg

43053428014_0fc6d1ab99_c.jpg

43053417024_7abe87fa1f_c.jpg

43053421374_a263480131_b.jpg

43053437564_7233702939_c.jpg

41961169470_05d7d83bac_c.jpg

41961171020_4166ce44ab_c.jpg

43721429072_fa130009f7_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Frank

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Marvellous job.  My woodcarving for models is nowhere near good enough for varnish, a good slather of filler and paint for me.

I like the use of the different woods for the colour scheme.  Your models really show off the great finish and life of the wood.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

I was right Frank, your 'teaser' picture in the other thread did show another stunner! That is simply beautiful! Wish I had the skill to do that, SWMBO might actually let me display it in the lounge!!

I think someone who has the funds to own a real one should have it wrapped in glossy wood effect - it would look incredible!!

Absolutely marvellous work!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/1/2018 at 3:48 AM, keefr22 said:

I was right Frank, your 'teaser' picture in the other thread did show another stunner! That is simply beautiful! Wish I had the skill to do that, SWMBO might actually let me display it in the lounge!!

I think someone who has the funds to own a real one should have it wrapped in glossy wood effect - it would look incredible!!

Absolutely marvellous work!

Keith

Thanks Keith.   Sorry to hear there's someone else with a SWMBO.    When I finish a model I usually get a "Hmmm, and where do you plan to put that?"    True, it's hard to find a spot when her quilts take every bit of free space.

7 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

True... Simply WOW!!!!!!

Thanks Pete, Silenoz et al ... glad there's still some out there who appreciate the beauty of wood.   

Frank

Other scratch builds:    Maserati 250F     Lancia D50    Ferrari TestaRossa     Flying Scotsman A3    Alberg 37 sailboat    Trojan 36 Sport Fisherman      Triumph TR-6

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, albergman said:

"Hmmm, and where do you plan to put that?"

Mine never leave the workshop except for a rotation of three small ones (or one large) on my nightstand.  Anywhere else is strictly off limits.  Maybe I'll put a couple in the van AKA my self-propelled mobile shed.

6 hours ago, albergman said:

Thanks Pete, Silenoz et al ... glad there's still some out there who appreciate the beauty of wood.   

Frank

It's not the wood on it's own which gives the beauty, it's the craftsmanship to create something which looks as stunning as this model (and indeed all of yours). Without your skills, the wood would be nothing. As it is, it's absolutely stunning.

35 minutes ago, Spiny said:

It's not the wood on it's own which gives the beauty, it's the craftsmanship to create something which looks as stunning as this model (and indeed all of yours). Without your skills, the wood would be nothing. As it is, it's absolutely stunning.

Golly ... I'm blushing!     Thanks for the kind comment Spiny.    

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2018 at 08:25, malpaso said:

Marvellous job.  My woodcarving for models is nowhere near good enough for varnish, a good slather of filler and paint for me.

Ditto for my woodwork - a varnished finish is far more challenging than a ‘realistic’ paint job.